1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Rain spot on shoes.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MilanoStyle, Nov 2, 2004.

1. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

Ok, I polished my black shoes last night with black shoe polish. It was mirrior finish and I was happy. I decided not to put silicon water repeler since the shoes has been polished (mistake).

Anyways, it was raining this morning, when I came into my office, I noticed that my shoes had rain drops. I wiped them away with soft cloth, however, rain stains were still visible it you look closely. Do you guys spray the shoes after polishing?

Thank heaven I was not wearing brown shoes.

2. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

Try mild soap and water, let dry, and then repolish.

3. Alias

Alias Senior member

Just give them some time to dry out completely. If the spots are there, repolishing will do the trick.

I find it very interesting that my brown C&J Audleys are now very water-resistant, thanks to a nice thin layer of wax polish (built up over the course of my owning them) that keeps the shoes in a perpetual sheen. When I come in from the rain, I take a paper napkin and give my shoes a quick wipe. Before they had time to take on the wax, they would visibly spot when they got wet. Still, it only took about a day for them to disappear completely.

4. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

I have a pair of Alden cordovan shoes that are oddly rain spotted, but only in one portion of the shoe (the front part, excluding the cap). Very odd. Nothing I do can solve the problem.

5. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

From my experience the Alden shell cordovan shoes do not have to be polished frequently. To remove the water spot I would clean the shoes with a damp paper towel and let the  shoes dry. Then brush the shoes with a horsehair brush and wipe the shoes with a soft buffing cloth.

6. stache

stache Senior member

Very fine steel wool?

7. Tom

Tom Senior member

Yeah, that's what I like to use in my shower instead of soap. [​IMG] NOT. I hope you're kidding about the steel wool thing. -Tom

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Ha. I live in South Florida and I like (and use) suede shoes.

Jon.

9. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters Senior member

Most spots that appear on leather after a rain is due in some part to salts in road and side walk surfaces that inherently get on the uppers and cause spotting and sometimes discoloring of the leather.
    I clean my shoes when this occures with vinegar, yes vinegar.
    Mix 1/2 water with 1/2 clear(save the balsamic for a good chunk of Regiano Parmesan)white vinegar and blot the affected areas. Allow to dry and condition with a good cleaner / conditioner. Polish
    I'm an old shoe dog and for those who have asked how to get the best shine. My best friend, who happened to be a drill sargent told me this.
    Steal a pair of your significant others nylon stockings and do your final buff with them. Like Glass.