• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ragged (!) Trousered Philanthropists

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Recently there was an impassioned plea from a SF member dealt a hand too tough to cope with. Fellow members offered help, provided a solution and now our man moves on.

Heart warming indeed

The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists http://www.gutenberg.org/files/3608/3608-h/3608-h.htm

Many of us have so much sitting around, I certainly do, that may well never fetch a premium on B & S yet will perhaps help someone else, dare I say.

If you need a pair of shoes for job interviews let us know. Make a pitch, no judgement here just fire away. Though be prepared to pay postage! Send me a PM and I'll match you guys up, often these things are better done discretely.

If you have a suit/SC/Trousers/whatever to give to a good home let us know. A couple of pics and a brief of the piece would be great.

A tie that you love, just don't wear but can't throw away? Post it up for someone who will lap it up! You set the rules of qualification.

Already given, FOC -

Whether you're ragged trousered or not, philanthropy works, give it a go!

Last edited:

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fantastic initiative, @Cleav!

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have some ties, shirt, a pair of trousers, jacket, and a couple pairs of shoes. I just need to take time to snap a couple of pictures.

Pay it forward.

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
Sadly I just gave three garbage bags of clothes to charity - including about 100 ties. Most of it was great stuff hardly worn.

Will keep this in mind for the next sweep though.

Last edited:

jfrater

Reaction score
I have loads of stuff I can donate - probably easiest to say I have shirts in size 16, shoes in 44, and suits / jackets

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sadly I just gave three garbage bags of clothes to charity - including about 100 ties. Most of it was great stuff hardly worn.

Will keep this in mind for the next sweep though.

Did you include the Passaggio Cravatte ties, or did they survive the purge?

Back on topic, I've got some stuff that I could post, but the problem is that, being in Australia, postage to anywhere but here would be prohibitive.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have loads of stuff I can donate - probably easiest to say I have shirts in size 16, shoes in 44, and suits / jackets

Fabulous jfrater, murl et al many thanks indeed for your support

I have some stuff I'll put up this week too :nodding:

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Did you include the Passaggio Cravatte ties, or did they survive the purge?

Back on topic, I've got some stuff that I could post, but the problem is that, being in Australia, postage to anywhere but here would be prohibitive.

Thanks man

Thing is, if someone can use your gear and you're happy to give they pay for the privilege P & P

You mention Passaggio Cravate...

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have the remains of a tie-swap box from a few years ago. I'll try to dig that up and post them here.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'll start with a few....

BB 42L Regent

Suit Supply 42L Napoli. Sadly, the trousers were ruined, but could be ordered through SS

Ratio Clothing shirts...MTM but you could say they are 16/41ish

JCrew Sweater

I have some ties and shoes I can post later.

Rules for qualification: tell me why you need it and be willing to pay shipping costs. If you can't even afford shipping costs, we can chat.

Last edited:

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Brooks Brothers ancient madder rust/burnt orange tie from the Fall 2013 collection that's free to a good home. I'll even pick up shipping in the USA (other countries: we can chat).

Tie has been worn but is still in good shape; a recent acquisition has made it redundant for me, though, and I'd like to see it go to someone who will wear it.

Not really conservative business dress, but any educators of all stripes/at all levels are especially encouraged to inquire.

Edit: On its way to its new owner. @Cleav great thread here.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's a great tie, Held!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads