• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rag & Bone Raw Denim...will it shrink?

thesternowl

Reaction score
I've taken my time, done a fair amount of research, made liberal use of the search function, and unless I've overlooked the answer to my following question, in the words of Bono, "I still haven't found what I'm looking for."

Cutting to the chase. Not too long ago I purchased a pair of Rag & Bone RB6 - Rigid...here is my question: can I care for these in such a way that I can expect MINIMAL shrinking after the first wash? They fit me pretty damn well as they lay and I'm not keen on them straying much from how they fit now i.e. waste and inseam.

Thanks guys!

Ott

Reaction score
they're one-wash, and they're soft enough so that they could be tumble dried. I think I remember someone saying their R&Bs didn't shrink at all just from washing... I wouldn't worry about it.

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're sanforized (I think) so they won't shrink too much, and they should stretch back out very quickly.

thesternowl

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses!

I've read that most American raw denim is sanforized but seeing as R&B uses Japanese denim, I was a but unsure as to which of the two characteristics the R&B's would exhibit.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thesternowl
Thanks for the quick responses! I've read that most American raw denim is sanforized but seeing as R&B uses Japanese denim, I was a but unsure as to which of the two characteristics the R&B's would exhibit.
A denim's nationality has nothing to do with it being sanforized or not so it's not really a good rule of thumb to gauge shrinkage. Speaking of which, several well-known Japanese brands offer the same models of jeans in raw or one-wash form, much like 501 offering their shrink-to-fit variety. I don't think R&B uses Japanese denim. They're sewn in North Carolina and get their denim from Cone, an American company.

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I don't think R&B uses Japanese denim. They're sewn in North Carolina and get their denim from Cone, an American company.
That was my understanding, but if you look at the jeans in their website they specify "Japanese denim". Interesting.

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Jay! Good to have another nebraskan on the board
smile.gif

Sounds like the RB6s are working for you...

I got your message. I will give you a call tomorrow. Colby and I have a couple of ideas in mind...

thesternowl

Reaction score
Again, thanks guys for giving me some insight.

Unless R&B are guilty of false advertisement, the denim is Japanese (it's also stated on their tags) and hand sewn in North Carolina. When I spoke with Denim Bar, they also confirmed that R&B denim comes from Japan.

And thanks for the kind greeting Michael. I'll look forward to hearin' from ya soon...I need to try on a few pieces from your '07 S/S collection
smile.gif

Cheers!

minhi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thesternowl
Again, thanks guys for giving me some insight.

Unless R&B are guilty of false advertisement, the denim is Japanese (it's also stated on their tags) and hand sewn in North Carolina. When I spoke with Denim Bar, they also confirmed that R&B denim comes from Japan.
Cheers!

it depends. the tags that came with my RB15s says the denim is from the cone factory which is in the US.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are both Japanese and American denim models. In general, Rag&Bone tends to use Japanese denim for their more expensive selvedge jeans, and Cone denim for NC otherwise. The denim is both cases is good, though not stellar (the fit and style is what distinguishes the label, imho.)

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
There are both Japanese and American denim models. In general, Rag&Bone tends to use Japanese denim for their more expensive selvedge jeans, and Cone denim for NC otherwise. The denim is both cases is good, though not stellar (the fit and style is what distinguishes the label, imho.)
That explains it. Not really sure how to explain the denim other than I like the quality but I could see how people would have a hard time comparing it to PBJ, SC, et. al. They're simply not meant to be compared to said brands in terms of things like fading contrast or repro design but still have a feeling of craftmanship, great fit, and uniqueness. Two months later I can't regret my purchase.

Ott

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Not really sure how to explain the denim other than I like the quality but I could see how people would have a hard time comparing it to PBJ, SC, et. al. They're simply not meant to be compared to said brands in terms of things like fading contrast or repro design but still have a feeling of craftmanship, great fit, and uniqueness. Two months later I can't regret my purchase.
I honestly like the denim better than PBJ/samurai other slubmeisters. I know it won't fade as well and its not as unique, but the colour is rich and goes with everything. Pure Blues look too weird for my tastes. It's like a big selvage barnacle monster has attached itself to your legs
plain.gif

denimgroupie

Reaction score
I happen to have a pair of RB's with all tags still on. The back pocket tag says: This denim has undergone minimum treatment to preserve the natural integrity of the fabric. All of our denim is sourced from the finest mills in the world, either in Japan or North Carolina. The inside tag reads Handmade in NCarolina in large writing flat on the waistband. Technically you guys are both right... the dangling tag will either read handmade in Japan or handmade on the United States depending on which pair/style and wash/type you have... hope that helps
wink.gif
(My pair is the RB1-1000s... as far as i know they don't make them anymore but they are the girl version of the men's RB6-1000... and selvage of course*)

eternaldrake

Reaction score
thanks for the update im sure the op has been checking this thread daily for the past 3 and a half years

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads