Raffaele Caruso

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by clee1982, May 3, 2009.

1. SpallaCamiccia

SpallaCamiccia Senior member

Does anyone know of an EU based site like eHaberdasher with a decent selection of Caruso? It seems a little counterintuitive to order an Italian made garment from the US, with the extra shipping, taxes and VAT that it entails.

(eHaberdasher, PM sent)

+1 please.

2. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

The only europe based place I have come across RC is yoox

3. Wicky

Wicky Senior member

Does anyone know of an EU based site like eHaberdasher with a decent selection of Caruso? It seems a little counterintuitive to order an Italian made garment from the US, with the extra shipping, taxes and VAT that it entails.

(eHaberdasher, PM sent)

Yes, its MENSCORNER in Germany. He advertises Caruso on ebay as Sartoria Parma suits

http://cgi.ebay.de/SARTORIA-PARMA-SU...item5638d931b9

4. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

Thanks for the info.

The 3 sartoria Parma suits available are all EU 58 sized

5. Wicky

Wicky Senior member

Anyways, what's the retail price for an OTR Caruso in Europe and how much discount is available during the January / July sales (ballpark figures)

Retail is EUR 950 and upwards depending on the fabric for a RC Sartoria Parma suit.

During sales discounts can be found up to 50%, sometimes even more if its the last suit. I can pretty much get some for 50% off during the whole year but those are mostly size EU 50 and up, and not the smaller sizes. Sales in Netherlands start in June already, discounts are then about 30%.

6. Wicky

Wicky Senior member

Thanks for the info.

The 3 sartoria Parma suits available are all EU 58 sized

I see. Shoot the guy (I think his name is Andreas) an email, he had a whole bunch in different sizes a couple of months ago. From EU 48 onwards.

7. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

Retail is EUR 950 and upwards depending on the fabric for a RC Sartoria Parma suit.

During sales discounts can be found up to 50%, sometimes even more if its the last suit. I can pretty much get some for 50% off during the whole year but those are mostly size EU 50 and up, and not the smaller sizes. Sales in Netherlands start in June already, discounts are then about 30%.

475 euros for a RCSP suit anytime of the year sounds like a great deal

8. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Where are you located ?
    Denmark.

The only europe based place I have come across RC is yoox
    Thanks.

9. PocketCircle

PocketCircle Senior member

Can anyone explain how Caruso's own brand items are compared to Caruso-made items from other brands?

10. Wicky

Wicky Senior member

Can anyone explain how Caruso's own brand items are compared to Caruso-made items from other brands?

Caruso also has different lines. There´s R. Caruso label and ofcourse Sartoria Parma.

Personally I would rate Sartoria Parma label over RLBL anytime, both fabric wise and detailing. Cut of most Sartoria Parma´s is more conservative then RLBL though, soft shoulder versus stronger shoulder. However, also in the Sartoria Parma line I have seen different levels. The suits with Raffaele Caruso lining were some of the most impresive I have seen. The stuff they make for Adriano & Sons under the Adriano label is out of this world and I would say highest level I have (yet) seen for Caruso besides a few MTM pieces (like e.g. the one I sold to Flieger few weeks ago). The fluo stuff on Yoox however is half canvassed and I would stay away. Can´t comment on the Lavin or Baldasarinni suits that are suposingly also Caruso made, never seen them in real life.

11. sartort

sartort Senior member

I have Caruso for RLBL, Caruso for Adriano & Sons and Caruso for Barneys New York. I don't have any Caruso branded or Caruso Sartoria Parma branded items.

I would put them in the following order (best being first):

1a)Caruso for Barneys New York
    1b)Caruso for Adriano & Sons
    3)Caruso for RLBL

I think the A&S trousers are slightly better than the Barneys (button fly vs zipper for example) but the jackets seem equal in construction. Very well made, especially considering the price. I can't believe it but I just paid full fare (something I rarely do) for a solid navy Caruso for Barneys NY suit. Caruso is the maker for me. I don't see myself needing anything more nor will probably ever be able to afford it. But the construction quality is very high and I like the cuts and most importantly the value the maker provides given its price points relative to other Italian brands/makers.

12. PocketCircle

PocketCircle Senior member

Caruso also has different lines. There´s R. Caruso label and ofcourse Sartoria Parma.

Personally I would rate Sartoria Parma label over RLBL anytime, both fabric wise and detailing. Cut of most Sartoria Parma´s is more conservative then RLBL though, soft shoulder versus stronger shoulder. However, also in the Sartoria Parma line I have seen different levels. The suits with Raffaele Caruso lining were some of the most impresive I have seen. The stuff they make for Adriano & Sons under the Adriano label is out of this world and I would say highest level I have (yet) seen for Caruso besides a few MTM pieces (like e.g. the one I sold to Flieger few weeks ago). The fluo stuff on Yoox however is half canvassed and I would stay away. Can´t comment on the Lavin or Baldasarinni suits that are suposingly also Caruso made, never seen them in real life.

Thank you for the info. I have a solid gray Lanvin right now but I never saw the Adriano & Sons or Caruso's own brand suits; therefore, I can't compare.

13. sartort

sartort Senior member

I forgot to add that although I haven't seen a Raffaele Caruso Sartoria Parma Su Misura (MTM) in person, based on NOBD's pics, that might be the highest level available at least matching Caruso for Barneys and A&S if not surpassing it.

14. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Have you given up on MTM?
    Update: Having called my local retailer a few times with no news I got hold of the number to the guy in Sweden that's in charge of the Scandinavian Caruso retailers. He claimed that it was impossible to get Caruso to use other suitings than the ones in the authorized books.

Since the fabric selection is very poor (at least locally - I was told it would be better in Sweden), this sadly means no MTM for me at this time.

I do have a Caruso sport coat from yoox on the way, hope it turns out ok.

Btw, happy birthday NOBD [​IMG]

15. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Update: Having called my local retailer a few times with no news I got hold of the number to the guy in Sweden that's in charge of the Scandinavian Caruso retailers. He claimed that it was impossible to get Caruso to use other suitings than the ones in the authorized books.

Since the fabric selection is very poor (at least locally - I was told it would be better in Sweden), this sadly means no MTM for me at this time.

I do have a Caruso sport coat from yoox on the way, hope it turns out ok.

Btw, happy birthday NOBD [​IMG]

Thanks, Kaplan. Strange. What kind of SC?