• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

raf simons suit - fully canvassed?

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
raf simons, extremely unlikely to be fully canvassed.

CN is hit or miss w.r.t. canvassing. depends on the model.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
ok very good to know thank you.

other brands i can think of as far as canvassed (or not) that i have'nt seen covered recently:
comme des garcons - canvassed?
balenciaga outwearwear (wool coats etc)..
dries: suits
krisvanassche
marc jacobs

not sure if anyone knows..

Tweed Run

Reaction score
why even ask? with the prices for these suits, you can get a bespoke suit for not much more. then you are guaranteed a fully canvased front, and you get to choose all the details. and at least it will fit.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
from personal research/choice..i wont go bespoke unless i have £3k, which i dont right now for a suit..

this post sums up nicely off another forum(not my post, but this user had some great info IMO)

"Let me be clear. The (rough rule of thumb) sum of £3,000 is based on the following: (1) it represents the 'entry' level not only to the Row, but to the great tailors of Italy (e.g., Caraceni, the erstwhile Angelo, Panico, Formosa, Gallo, etc.), the USA (e.g., Fioravanti), Austria (e.g., Knieze) and France (e.g., Cristiani); (2) you generally get what you pay for; (3) paying substantially less than this sum is, in my experience, a risk.

Let me also be clear as to the following: I have spent nearly thirty years trying to hunt down 'value' tailors. The net result is that I have wasted thousands of pounds on suits, coats and trousers which I was embarrassed to wear. The only beneficiary of this bounty was the charity Oxfam. (If I were sufficiently wealthy, they'd have found their way to my footman.)

I must also here declare an interest: I wear only unlined coats - save for the buggy - with no shoulder-padding; I like a coat to feel as if I've draped a linen handkerchief over my shoulders. This is not part of the British tradition and one of the gravest mistakes a customer can make is to impose his style on another tradition. And this is where we get back to cost: haven't you noticed that the 'cheap' tailors will tell you that they "can make anything you want?" Well, they can't; they have rules and habits. The results are invariably a disaster."

Tweed Run

Reaction score
yes, i imagine if you're looking for a tailor to do work in a tradition that they've not been trained in, you'll be disappointed.

i love the savile row tradition... bastings that are a work of art, handsewing the long seams of linings, bartacks that are things of beauty. i have a few savile row suits and, well, yes they're perfect... but yes, the price can be prohibitive.

but for a designer suit, you're talking £1200-2000. from that, you get made in a factory, lots of fusing, not always great cloth, and a fit that's not custom. maybe you'll say it's "good enough". for me, i've found a couple of excellent tailors here in london that can tailor up suits for the same price. the results are always superior; better fabric, better fit, better quality, details exactly how i want them.

if i've got £3500-ish to spend on a suit, it's off to savile row. if i've only got half that, i'd rather a tailormade bespoke number than an off-the-peg. it won't be a huntsman suit, but then neither will a raf simons suit.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
very good points.

i suppose i am and always will be too scared to shell out £1200 for something bespoke i may love, or may hate..

i'd rather spend £1500 on fully canvassed OTR that fits "well" (nowhere near bepoke i realize)..

Sebastian

Reaction score
FWIW, the prices for A&S and their young expetriates, like Mahon or DeBoise, start at 1900 Pounds for a two piece suit. And I trust, that some other Savile Row bespoke houses aren't much more expensive.

Also in Italy, you can have a suit by a very reputable tailor for under 2000 Euro (I think Sciamat is around that price range). So if you really think about spending 2000 Pounds on an off the rack suit, I think you have a lot of Bespoke alternatives, without hunting down "value tailors".

JTA

Reaction score
Depending on preference however if I want to spend £1,200-1,500 I'd rather go bespoke or MTM at least except if I really like the suits/brands and do not mind paying for that sum. In my case, I have not found the designer that can warrant me to shell that amount of money yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads