• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Racial Demographic of SF

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
My late father (and his father before him) looked wonderfully "Jewish". Yet he was raised a Christian, and was of almost 100% German extraction. He converted to Judaism to marry 2nd wife (after my mother died). Oddly, the woman he married was herself a convert to Judaism! (And she too had a physical appearance many people would equate with "Jewish-ness".)

In my subsequent genealogical research I found that, ironically, my father's great-grandmother was, in fact, Jewish. Had he been aware of this fact, I've been told that his conversion to Judaism would've been somehow "easier". All immaterial, however, as the marriage lasted but a year. The police, in fact, were called to the hotel on their wedding night to break up a chair- and bottle-throwing fight!
wow.gif

Very interesting story! Yeah, as an outsider, I'm not really sure how all this plays out in the real world - I'm just speaking from my studies of theology and various religions (minored in Religious Studies in College), which included Judaism.

As for physical characteristics, I don't really buy it. I've been mistaken for everything from Jewish to Brazilian to Irish to Italian to Russian - so it's just a bunch of crap (I think I'm just a plain looking white guy). People have been mixing for thousands of years. You can tell apart white people from black people from asian people for the most part, but it's pretty difficult to tell apart one subset of white people from another just on their physical characteristics.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'll try and make it as simple as possible. this explanation only makes sense if you believe that different races exist.

imagine 2 colombians standing next to one another. one is black, of african descent. the other is blond and blue eyed, of french descent.

they are both of the same nationality (colombian). they are both of the same ethnicity (hispanic). but racially, one is black and one is white.

hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race.

someone just posted that they are half hspanic half white. that is as ignorant as it gets.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fabienne
Is this an odd assessment via my lingerie, or am I totally missing the point?
nobody looks brazilian, because brazilians come in all flavors (black, italian, lebanese, german, japanese, etc...) but there's a stereotype about brazilian women and their derriers.
inlove.gif

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Damn...now I wish I hadn't lobbied for the demise of the "Transparent Moderators' Thread".
smile.gif

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard of wine having a 'nose'... but bourbon?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Margaret
I've heard of wine having a 'nose'... but bourbon?
The Bourbon dynasty of France with its infamous bulbous nose. They were also seated in the thrones of Spain and Italy.

StevenRocks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
WTF does this mean? "˜Look Jewish'? Does someone "˜look Christian'? You can't "˜look' like a particular religion. You know a lot of people that look "˜Presbyterian'?

Jon.

Would you shut up if I told you I looked Israeli? Geez.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StevenRocks
Would you shut up if I told you I looked Israeli? Geez.

smile.gif
Probably not.
smile.gif

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race.

someone just posted that they are half hspanic half white. that is as ignorant as it gets.

this is where i tell you i'm "other" and to shut the **** up.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The language, the culture, the basis for "˜La Raza'

Jon.

Ah.

I only know NCLR from my workaday job with them, in which they assist migrant workers with employee rights, and do programs like keeping at-risk kids in college. At the level at which I dealt with NCLR, I was never aware of any radicalism.
At the local level with whch I am familiar, they help anyone with a Spanish-speaking background, and would help anyone from the countries you mentioned, without further classification (as far as I'm aware).

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ATM
According to the CIA World Factbook: "white 81.7%, black 12.9%, Asian 4.2%, Amerindian and Alaska native 1%, native Hawaiian and other Pacific islander 0.2% (2003 est.) note: a separate listing for Hispanic is not included because the US Census Bureau considers Hispanic to mean a person of Latin American descent (including persons of Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican origin) living in the US who may be of any race or ethnic group (white, black, Asian, etc.)"
Race is a sticky subject in this sort of bureacratic classifying, considering those from the Middle East are considered white. The US Census Bureau says, as of July 1, 2005, 67% European American, 13% African American, 15% Hispanic, 4% Asian (that includes lumping Pacific Islanders and native Hawaiians), 1% American Indian/Native Alaskan. For what it's worth.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
Facial structure - most telling, the Jewish nose.
So say the anti-Semites, who else do you think perpetuated such nonsense? You haven't seen non-Jewish people with big noses?

Jon.

Oh, and look at the kitty!

J,

Can my custom title please be 'anti-Semite' ?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
As for physical characteristics, I don't really buy it. I've been mistaken for everything from Jewish to Brazilian to Irish to Italian to Russian - so it's just a bunch of crap (I think I'm just a plain looking white guy). People have been mixing for thousands of years. You can tell apart white people from black people from asian people for the most part, but it's pretty difficult to tell apart one subset of white people from another just on their physical characteristics.

With exposure and a good eye, it can be done. There is a somewhat accurate website for gauging ethnicity from facial features, Faceanalyzer. Skin color alone is not reliable, especially in photographs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads