• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Racial Demographic of SF

ragdoll

Reaction score
Are Indians not Asian?
Or is that category of 'other' for Native Americans and Middle Easterners?

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm white, half French, half Polish. Most people can't place my accent in English or German, and based on my looks, the nationalities most often attributed are Brazilian or Czech. At least when they hear I'm French, it's usually a positive thing, despite what a lot of you might think.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
But via Argentina and Canada, yes?
I was born in Argentina of Austro-Hungarian and German descent, I then moved to Canada and became a Canadian citizen.
smile.gif
Jon.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fabienne
I'm white, half French, half Polish. Most people can't place my accent in English or German, and based on my looks, the nationalities most often attributed are Brazilian or Czech. At least when they hear I'm French, it's usually a positive thing, despite what a lot of you might think.

I can see the eastern european thing but not the Brazilian - that is perplexing. Of course I have never met you so I cannot tell other than the small pic in your avatar
smile.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just remembered, years ago when I was taking Malev to Budapest the stewardesses kept talking to me in German. Over and over and over again. And people here in Tucson have thought I sounded French or German before - THAT I do not understand.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ragdoll
Are Indians not Asian?
Or is that category of 'other' for Native Americans and Middle Easterners?

Maybe the poll needs to be expanded

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
I can see the eastern european thing but not the Brazilian - that is perplexing. Of course I have never met you so I cannot tell other than the small pic in your avatar
smile.gif

That happens most often in the summer, as I tan easily. Plus, I guess, the long hair. Go figure. But it's always amusing to keep people guessing, I'm sure you do that too!

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
I just remembered, years ago when I was taking Malev to Budapest the stewardesses kept talking to me in German. Over and over and over again. And people here in Tucson have thought I sounded French or German before - THAT I do not understand.

How would you qualify your accent in English? Nobody ever wants to guess based on my accent, strangely. I don't think it's your typical French accent, for sure.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would you qualify your accent in English? Nobody ever wants to guess based on my accent, strangely. I don't think it's your typical French accent, for sure.
My wife, even though she is American, after living with me for almost 8 years can tell that while at face value I have a flat english accent there are syntactical and pronounciative (sp?) quirks that I exhibit that throw it off. Plus I can sound a wee bit old fashioned when I am going full-kilter english (as oppossed to speaking to people around me in Tucson) due to the fact that I grew up without much contemporary english slang. Anyway, the problem being bilingual like I is that though you speak two languages very well neither is perfect. As for your accent, people in the USA in general seem to have difficulty with that anyway. I can often guess correctly specific regions of Europe from the way people look and talk as you probably can. Of course, I can tell a Cypriot from a 100 paces
biggrin.gif
Edit: Funny sidenote. After living with me for so long, my wife has seriously freaked out some of her clients out by working out in one go where they are from. That happenned with several Cypiot students, needless to say they were usually flabbergasted considering we are used to people not knowing our country even exists, never mind knowing what we look or sound like. Edit 2: "She has often followed up the "you are from Cyprus, right?" with "From Limassol? Oh I miss having the gyros and shawarma at Sam's. Haver you been there recently?"
laugh.gif

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i guess im white, tho ive been mistaken for:
-mixed white and black
-mexican
-peurto rican
-jewish
-native american

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My brother has actually a deeper base skin tone than I and with his slightly darker hair than mine has often been thought to be some sort of Latino.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
What would you put on a form you were filling out for a job or medical?
What kind of job (or medical for that matter) asks for your race?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Over the phone, you have a French accent, although not an unadulterated accent from a particular region, at least not one that my uneducated ears can make out. However, if one knows that you are French, it is easy to pick out certain verbal mannerisms and turns of speech that are clearly French. I am not sure that I would have known that you were French from your photograph alone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads