1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Race, Ethnicity, style forum

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by miran, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Saul Silver

Saul Silver Senior member

I have a jewish sounding last name but I'm not Jewish, lulz

2. APK

APK Senior member

I ignored the thread originally, but finally clicked to see WHY it had expanded so much in one day. Then...

3. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

Irish Sikh from Madagascar here (ie, I'm African)

4. *#..

*#.. Senior member

I ignored the thread originally, but finally clicked to see WHY it had expanded so much in one day. Then...
    You blocked a guy with only 29 posts?

5. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

I've gotten to where I tell koreans I'm half-japanese most of the time. (My beard throws them off, for some reason, as well). Saves a lot of aggravation on their end, apparently. I find it amusing that amongst a lot of Koreans, it's better to be some half-breed of a conquering neighbor who raped and pillaged their country less than 100 years ago than be the spawn of a race traitor/whore.
    I don't get it. so full doreans are considered race traitors/whores?[​IMG]

6. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

i'm canadian actually
    Do you live in Toronto or a city with a large asian population?[​IMG]

7. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

I don't get it. so full doreans are considered race traitors/whores?[​IMG]

Erm...

Mom = korean
    Dad = not korean

My mother is a race traitor because she bred with a non-korean. She's a "whore" because he was a GI. I am the end product of that union.

8. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Do you live in Toronto or a city with a large asian population?[​IMG]

I was born in Newfoundland, grew up mostly in a small city in Ontario, ran around for a bit and I'm living in Montreal, now.

9. randomkid123

randomkid123 Member

10. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

I was born in Newfoundland, grew up mostly in a small city in Ontario, ran around for a bit and I'm living in Montreal, now.

so this is why you're special

11. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

Erm...

Mom = korean
    Dad = not korean

My mother is a race traitor because she bred with a non-korean. She's a "whore" because he was a GI. I am the end product of that union.

There was a very nice moment in recent Korean history (circa 2006/2007) when Hines Ward (whose team recently won and he got MVP) went there on behalf of the Pearl Buck association in support of Amerasian children and the discrimination they suffer (especially African American ones).

There was some good internal debating going on there (why are Koreans so enamored by Hines Ward and proud of him even though they despise everything he phsysically stands for? What would have become of Hines Ward if he had remained in Korea?, etc.). Some good questions and collective soul searching.

The best, however, was Hines Ward's Korean mother who, if you were to really reduce everything she said to the most blunt statement, basically said, "screw you, you hypocrites. You gave me nothing but grief when I was trying to raise this kid here". Nevertheless, it was a good debate that played out in the local papers.

12. APK

APK Senior member

You blocked a guy with only 29 posts?

Apparently. I've rarely blocked anyone because most people worth blocking are either soon-to-be-banned trolls or regulars who have their stupidity frequently quoted by other posters.

13. pebblegrain

damn son you really hate your chinkee half, don't you? fukkin sad. get a therapist

half-korean, half everything else. I really dislike los angeles koreans, though.

How it affects my "style?"

I've got these short assed mountain people legs. 30" inseam. I'm 5'10". Add to that: Asian Ass. I.e., I lack one. Ever have a large black woman standing behind you in line at Magic Mountain grab your ass and say "Goddamn, you really don't have an ass, do you? That is so weird!"? Anyway, short legs, no ass, really easy to get "diaper sag" with "modern fit" pants.

My long torso makes is near impossible to find shirts that don't ride up to my fucking shoulder blades if I so much as bend over to tie a shoe. Raise my arms and the hems come up to my titties.

I've got a barrel, mountain people chest (I wear a tight 46 in vanity sized blazers, probably closer to a 48-50).
    18" neck
    Long arms

Finding dress shirts OTR is an exercise in futility. If I size to my neck, I'm swimming in fabric. If I size to my chest, can't button the collar. Or, if I magically find an OTR that fits (mostly) neck and chest, the sleeves are 2" too goddamned short (longish arms). Ugh.

I've got a wide, flat face making shopping for glasses an exercise in frustration.

Add to that my asianish complexion which means my favorite colors (olives, military drabs, etc) make me look like I've got jaundice.

FML.

14. pebblegrain

Erm...

Mom = korean
    Dad = not korean

so you actually consider your mom a prostitute? congrats

15. CharlieAngel

so you actually consider your mom a prostitute? congrats
    Their words, not mine. But, in the interests of full disclosure, she most likely *was* a prostitute. :: shrug ::

16. CharlieAngel

There was a very nice moment in recent Korean history (circa 2006/2007) when Hines Ward (whose team recently won and he got MVP) went there on behalf of the Pearl Buck association in support of Amerasian children and the discrimination they suffer (especially African American ones). There was some good internal debating going on there (why are Koreans so enamored by Hines Ward and proud of him even though they despise everything he phsysically stands for? What would have become of Hines Ward if he had remained in Korea?, etc.). Some good questions and collective soul searching. The best, however, was Hines Ward's Korean mother who, if you were to really reduce everything she said to the most blunt statement, basically said, "screw you, you hypocrites. You gave me nothing but grief when I was trying to raise this kid here". Nevertheless, it was a good debate that played out in the local papers.
    I remember one of the few korean friends I have telling me about that. Basically, the only way for a "happa" to gain acceptance in Korean culture is to be some sort of superstar. Like, a pop singer, or a world-class athlete. Otherwise, you're trash. Apparently there's some sort of reconcilliation going on in Korea regarding hapas, but due to the insular nature of Los Angeles (surrounded by Mexicans, Blacks, and Whites), it hasn't quite made it over here yet, and thus the current climate. I've actually had 2 Koreans quit talking to me and walk away as soon as I said I was half Korean once. Seriously. "Are you half-japanese?" "I'm half-Korean, actually---" <turned around and walked off> Once at a convenience store: Storeowner: "Are you half-japanese?" Me: "I'm half-Korean.." Storeowner: "Oh......................<weird look> That is..very.........................................Unusual."

17. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

I remember one of the few korean friends I have telling me about that. Basically, the only way for a "happa" to gain acceptance in Korean culture is to be some sort of superstar. Like, a pop singer, or a world-class athlete. Otherwise, you're trash. Apparently there's some sort of reconcilliation going on in Korea regarding hapas, but due to the insular nature of Los Angeles (surrounded by Mexicans, Blacks, and Whites), it hasn't quite made it over here yet, and thus the current climate. I've actually had 2 Koreans quit talking to me and walk away as soon as I said I was half Korean once. Seriously.
    "Are you half-japanese?"
    "I'm half-Korean, actually---"
    <turned around and walked off>

Once at a convenience store:
    Storeowner: "Are you half-japanese?"
    Me: "I'm half-Korean.."
    Storeowner: "Oh......................<weird look> That is..very.........................................Unusual."

^ Didn't know it's such a big problem for happa Korean kids!
    Funny my Korean friends never told me about this.

Growing up I had some half-east/SE Asian, half-Aussie friends - AFAIK they never had such problems.

18. CharlieAngel

^ Didn't know it's such a big problem for happa Korean kids! Funny my Korean friends never told me about this. Growing up I had some half-east/SE Asian, half-Aussie friends - AFAIK they never had such problems.
    I never had these problems in Memphis, TN, either. :/ To have it happen, at age 34, no less, in Los Angeles literally left me speechless the first few times I encountered it. I mean, I had the typical redneck "You sum kinda jap or chink?" bullshit occasionally, but that's just Southern redneck bullshit.

19. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

^ Would have thought people in LA would be a little more worldly/tolerant?

Can't imagine what it must be like to grow up with all that unwarranted hate - must be tough on those kids.

20. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

i mean i cant dispute your own personal experiences but thats news to me. i have tons of half korean friends and even more kyopo's (korean kids raised in the states). thats craziness and terrible

maybe it is peculiar to ktown, LA because all of the large korean communities on the east coast like ny/nj, hotlanta, and nova dont espouse that view