1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Race, Ethnicity, style forum

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by miran, Apr 26, 2011.

1. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

um, no not really. there is a large mormon population but they are in the rural areas. very few mormons live in downtown slc.

most mormons dont drink (yes, there are some mormons that do drink ... they just dont tell anyone), but many drink caffeine of some extent. i think many avoid coffee for whatever reason ...

they only have one wife (at least at the same time) but they do have a shit load of kids.

mormons are often viewed in a negative light, which i dont think is entirely fair. i dont necessarily agree with their religion (or any religion for that matter) but the ones i have met and work with have all been very nice.

[​IMG] Did you miss the four posts in the last two pages of this thread where various posters made stereotypical descriptions of states? Do you comprehend satire?

Although I have to admit, it's hilarious that you're implying the rest of what I posted is absolutely true.

2. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Well, in all fairness, Mormons do say "Gosh!" a lot. It's an objective fact. So that part is true.

[​IMG] Did you miss the four posts in the last two pages of this thread where various posters made stereotypical descriptions of states? Do you comprehend satire?

Although I have to admit, it's hilarious that you're implying the rest of what I posted is absolutely true.

3. whatever123

whatever123 Senior member

[​IMG] Did you miss the four posts in the last two pages of this thread where various posters made stereotypical descriptions of states? Do you comprehend satire? Although I have to admit, it's hilarious that you're implying the rest of what I posted is absolutely true.
    they do say "gosh" a lot, yes. actually, that is the first post of yours i actually read. i skim over bs most of the time ... .

4. entrero

entrero Senior member

5. whatever123

oh the irony.

you havent stalked me for a while ... you and FLMountainMan should be friends. [​IMG]

6. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

Mormons don't know satire. not allowed by the Golden Plates Found In Desert

7. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    ^The plates came from back East.
    But yeah; no satire.

8. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

you havent stalked me for a while ... you and FLMountainMan should be friends. [​IMG]

"Stalking" you is pointing out how stupid your post was? The Utah desert has made your vagina quite sandy.

9. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

lol just noticed your sig haha

10. Cacatfish

Cacatfish Senior member

I was born backwoods hillbilly, hippie white trash and as proof of such I will admit that I have no clue as to how to tell the various Asian ethnicities apart from one another. It baffles me that they have conflict between them, because I go "arent you all the same though?".
    I know, ignorant.

11. JS1357

JS1357 Well-Known Member

I was born backwoods hillbilly, hippie white trash and as proof of such I will admit that I have no clue as to how to tell the various Asian ethnicities apart from one another. It baffles me that they have conflict between them, because I go "arent you all the same though?".
    I know, ignorant.

Yes you are ignorant.

12. whatever123

"Stalking" you is pointing out how stupid your post was? The Utah desert has made your vagina quite sandy.
    99% of my posts are stupid. can you be more specific?

13. Kiwi Man

Kiwi Man Senior member

I'm Thai and I started to dislike my home country after spending my time in the US for almost seven years. However, I don't mind being an Asian.

As you already know, southern California as a whole is very diverse. However, each race tends to live in certain areas of southern California, so it's very segregated at the same time.

You have proved a very interesting point. It is very interesting to see that Southern California seemed to the place where you would think people from different background would get together and enjoy their day, but it looks like a school. Well, at least, a school in the movie called "Mean Girls."

Can you or someone else explain to me why so many Asians outside of Asia have such a big interest in kpop stars? [​IMG]

It is because these K-Pop stars are well-trained. They know exactly how to be relatable to their audience and still act like their model. I was told that there are academy schools in Korea which train many of these wannabe on how to be popular. The popularity for these schools have spread all over Thailand.

I know, ignorant.

I hate to you say it, but you really are. However, it is good that you don't try to hide it, but rather admit being one.

14. *#..

*#.. Senior member

I'm Thai and I started to dislike my home country after spending my time in the US for almost seven years. However, I don't mind being an Asian.
    What don't you like about Thailand specifically? I know it's a poor 3rd world country, there's sex tourism that comes with being said country, and rice is grown everywhere.
    You have proved a very interesting point. It is very interesting to see that Southern California seemed to the place where you would think people from different background would get together and enjoy their day, but it looks like a school. Well, at least, a school in the movie called "Mean Girls."
    Case in point, if you've ever been measured up by Get Smart for a Thick as Thieves suit, he meets up with you in a public place where he lives. I only saw Asian people there, and many buildings had store signs with both Chinese characters and English letters. Obviously, Asian people make up the vast majority of that city, whereas the demographics would be much different in places like Oxnard or Compton.
    It is because these K-Pop stars are well-trained. They know exactly how to be relatable to their audience and still act like their model. I was told that there are academy schools in Korea which train many of these wannabe on how to be popular. The popularity for these schools have spread all over Thailand.
    Never heard about schools teaching them how to be celebrities, interesting. If by training, you mean those cute poses they always do and their shy demeanor, I don't buy it. The whole act gets old fast and is just really annoying. I'm still at a loss as to how so many Asians not born in Asia are obsessed over that k-pop culture.

15. drechie

drechie Senior member

i read this whole thread just because of ALZ's ingenuity. i love you man!

16. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

I'm Korean and ashamed of it

Your women wipe from back to front. I've "tasted" a few on occasion.

17. whatever123

What don't you like about Thailand specifically? I know it's a poor 3rd world country, there's sex tourism that comes with being said country, and rice is grown everywhere.
    lol, what the fuck are you talking about? its not a 3rd world country you retard. but they do have a sex trade ... but so does the US so im not sure what that means. and rice is indeed grown in thailand, obviously, but not "everywhere."

18. whatever123

Your women wipe from back to front. I've "tasted" a few on occasion.
    korean bodagitrees taste great. like little meat stalactites.

19. Cacatfish

Cacatfish Senior member

I hate to you say it, but you really are. However, it is good that you don't try to hide it, but rather admit being one.

Hey, I'll take that as a semi-compliment.
    I grew up in an isolated backwater with virtually no Asians. A couple blacks and a population of Latino farmworkers filled it out (yes I do speak Spanish). To top that off, we grew up with nearly no media, no television and, for the many years, no electricity.

Everyone has their blank spots and most urban people are far more abreast of these kinds of diversities than me. I will argue though, that a lot of backwoods types, as ignorant as they are, will be the first to take you at face value and the first to lend you a hand if you need it, whatever your race. Ignorant does not necessarily mean stupid or mean spirited.

20. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Case in point, if you've ever been measured up by Get Smart for a Thick as Thieves suit, he meets up with you in a public place where he lives. I only saw Asian people there, and many buildings had store signs with both Chinese characters and English letters. Obviously, Asian people make up the vast majority of that city, whereas the demographics would be much different in places like Oxnard or Compton.

Never heard about schools teaching them how to be celebrities, interesting. If by training, you mean those cute poses they always do and their shy demeanor, I don't buy it. The whole act gets old fast and is just really annoying. I'm still at a loss as to how so many Asians not born in Asia are obsessed over that k-pop culture.

I'm bored so I'll play. Ironicaly enough, I'm in Thailand right now. I moved to the U.S. in '93 when I was in the 4th grade so I can relate to Kiwi Man.

Living in the U.S. spoils you flat out. The cheapest prices on cars and gas and decent pay for most jobs out of college.

In many countries, Thailand included, it's a hustle trying to get a good paying job. Most entry level jobs out of college pay next to nothing so you can't even enjoy a cup of Starbucks every morning before going to work...which is a common practice in the U.S.

I'm a car hobbyists so I pay attention to prices...everything costs 200-300%. Factor in that the average person here makes 25% of what a U.S. counterpart makes..if you have the means to afford a Benz or BMW, you're doing something right. A new Murcielago in the U.S. can be had for less than $400k. The same car here will run you over $1,000,000.

The weather is horrible all of the time, it's just hot and hotter with high humidity. The traffic sucks...flat out. I've been told it's not as bad as India, Vietnam, etc. but it still sucks to the point that I'm hindered from driving. And when it rains, some parts of the town actually just bust out with inflatable boats to navigate through the water.

The country is corrupted as hell, it saddens me to say that. I played with the possibility of moving back but I doubt if I can adjust myself. If I do move back, I plan on using my degrees and experience in conjunction with high level of network to be rich because I would rather be rich in a poor nation than be poor in a rich nation.

Speaking of k-pop, a Korean friend got me into it. Sad to say that a 25 yr old male has songs from 2NE1 and Big Bang on the iPods. I just vibe with the songs albeit I have no idea what they're saying. I also have songs in many other languages for the same reason.

And yes, Get Smart lives in the 626....AKA Chinese central. Same with Westminster being filled with Vietnamese. Certain cities will have that characteristic.