• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

R.M.Williams - Why do non Australians buy R.M s?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been chatting to a few mates and we are curious about this question.

Why do you buy R.M.Williams when you can get other boots and clothing instead and often at cheaper prices and less trouble to obtain.

What makes RMW so special?

Is it all about the iconic Australian outback image or are there other big reasons why people buy R.M.Williams?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought them when the exchange rate was good and they seemed to be a good value at the price (~235USD). No offense but my interest had nothing to do with any idea of the Australian outback or any desire to look Australian. Most Americans see them as "cowboy boots." Only RMW sells roo leather chelsea boots and that was what I wanted.

jbux

Reaction score
Very high quality, I require a special fit (extra narrow) which is very hard to find.

Islander

Reaction score
When I bought mine I was not aware of any other wholecut chelsea boots available in such a range of sizes and widths. Edit: And yeah, you can get great deals if you are patient.

Xenos

Reaction score
I bought mine because I got a good deal on a barely-used pair for $15.

And they look cool.

Oleg

Reaction score
Bought mine when I lived in Australia. I was after some boots and I got these because I thought they were a lovely piece of work and good value. The single piece of leather certainly appealed and I suspect the heritage angle had something to do with it too, if I'm honest. Funnily enough, most of my Aussie acquaintances were slightly bemused (like the original poster, I suspect?) - no doubt they associate them with Scotch College-educated, Coalition-voting, squatter classes and probably a bit old fashioned and not something a stylish young buck like me (ahem) would wear. Certainly wasn't trying to buy into any of that -just liked them as a nice piece of kit. And I never wore them with the full 'Bob Katter' of white moleskins, blazer, club tie and fedora (though Bob was one of the few other people I met who actually looked after his!). Now I'm back in the UK I'm happily wearing them without the baggage. Did see one very SF-approved chap in them at Melbourne airport - blue cotton blazer, slim (not tight) jeans, light blue shirt and battered-to-buggery RMs. He was actually dressed pretty much identically to me (right down to the grade one crop), which is why I clocked him, but seemed to be doing rather better (the smooth bar steward
ffffuuuu.gif
). The other group that wears them a lot is politicians: the queue for security screening at Canberra airport in parliamentary sitting weeks was slow as all the pollies were having to take off their Craftsmen (damned steel shanks!). Unlike Katter, the usual look is to have them dried out and battered to fuq, as far as I can see: Bill Heffernan's looked like he'd got them for his 21st birthday and only ever rinsed the dust off them in cow piss. Clearly, shoe rotation is done over a few decades. Interestingly, several of my pom colleagues in Aus got them too and for similar reasons. I was working with an old school London mod (he's now a dapper professor in his fifties) and he pretty much wears them every day.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Value and good MTO possibilities. I think the Aussie outback image works for them in Australia but outside the country people don't give a d.m about it.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I rate their quality in the level of Loake or Classic Herring Shoes, but they are flexible with MTO and widths. One of their main draw IMO is the Kangaroo Leather and wholecut chelsea design, which is not usually found in RTW ranges from any makers.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The price/value ratio is very good.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Why do you buy R.M.Williams when you can get other boots and clothing instead and often at cheaper prices and less trouble to obtain.

What makes RMW so special?

Is it all about the iconic Australian outback image or are there other big reasons why people buy R.M.Williams?

Because they are wholecut boots and there are not too many of those around at RM Williams price.

Mind you, current exchange rate does not help those who buy in the UK.

What are you doing on Style Forum anyway? (Not much happening on the other forum?)Quite a few posts as well....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads