• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

R.I.P. to a decade of excess

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah i actually liked kingdom come alot, but most of the fans couldnt relate to it.

50 did a fantastic job of clapping out the ranks of the average rapper, young buck went broke actually owed 50 cent a large amount of money from what i understand.

Most of them never leave the mentallity of spend all your money today, because tomorrow might not be here, and thats their undoing in the end, along with most people actually, all of those who bought the zero down, interest only houses and lived pretend rich until the house of cards collapsed.

Doesnt surprise me that Dame's broke, he was bought out for $30m, and yet managed to maintain being driven in Maybachs, and as i saw on wikipedia $80,000/month in mortgages, along with i'm sure some other large monthly bills, and spending alot of money on ventures that never quite stuck.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Yeah i actually liked kingdom come alot, but most of the fans couldnt relate to it.

50 did a fantastic job of clapping out the ranks of the average rapper, young buck went broke actually owed 50 cent a large amount of money from what i understand.

Most of them never leave the mentallity of spend all your money today, because tomorrow might not be here, and thats their undoing in the end, along with most people actually, all of those who bought the zero down, interest only houses and lived pretend rich until the house of cards collapsed.

Doesnt surprise me that Dame's broke, he was bought out for $30m, and yet managed to maintain being driven in Maybachs, and as i saw on wikipedia $80,000/month in mortgages, along with i'm sure some other large monthly bills, and spending alot of money on ventures that never quite stuck.

But here's the thing, most rappers never even made that much money.

Advances have to be paid back. Back in the mid 90s, the heyday of rap, they were paying producers amounts that you wouldn't believe. I would know, because I was one. That and features cost people a lot of cash. That had to go back to the label.

Album sales never made artists much money. Maybe a couple cents per album, then consider tax, agent/management fees. Even big time sellers don't see much $$ from album sales unless they're on Koch or did it themselves like Oasis did. Most of the money comes from merchandise and touring. Since most of them rarely tour, they don't sell much merch. This is where the clothing line thing came about, and many of them failed.

So long story short, most of the rappers out there didn't make much money at all.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I was glad to learn that the way some people define themselves through consumption makes them classier than some others who don't consume properly.
nest.gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I was glad to learn that the way some people define themselves through consumption makes them classier than some others who don't consume properly.
nest.gif

yea um... I certainly don't agree with this.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
yea um... I certainly don't agree with this.

As I said before, class is like taste or being cool, for some to have that attribute you need a bunch of people not to have it. It is essentially a good of limited availability and our consumption is one of the way we exemplify where we stand on that wonderful totem pole.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I said before, class is like taste or being cool, for some to have that attribute you need a bunch of people not to have it.

Isn't that true of pretty much everything. To discern that someone has a trait, you need a sample of those not having that same trait.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Isn't that true of pretty much everything. To discern that someone has a trait, you need a sample of those not having that same trait.

You removed the limited availability part. In theory everyone can own pants or have a skateboard, but taste is essentially positional.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You removed the limited availability part. In theory everyone can own pants or have a skateboard, but taste is essentially positional.

Taste is a good just like a skateboard or a pair of pants? One to be bought and sold just like?

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
I generally don't make judgments on personal taste based on "products" that limit consuming based on dollar value. I prefer the great equalizing things...like music, film, literature. Since all music, films and literature costs basically the same no matter what it is, and is cheap enough for anyone to afford, it is far more telling.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you make judgments on personal taste of others? What do you get out of it? Enjoyment? Satisfaction? Something else?

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like we've found one arena where humans simply do not have the free will to choose...interesting.

hypersonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Why do you make judgments on personal taste of others? What do you get out of it? Enjoyment? Satisfaction? Something else?

Hmm, I guess it depends how you approach it. Personally, I am interested in why people consume the things they do from a kind of social anthropological perspective.

As someone else alluded to earlier, we seem to have arrived at a situation where many people consume to acquire and project an identity (or in some cases, a personality) -- this pre-packaged, two-dimensional 'identity' acts as a kind of psychological crutch for a low self-esteem -- this is ultimately a very unsatisfying way to live your life.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hypersonic
Hmm, I guess it depends how you approach it. Personally, I am interested in why people consume the things they do from a kind of social anthropology perspective.

As someone else alluded to earlier, we seem to have arrived at a situation where many people consume to acquire and project an identity (or in some cases, a personality) -- this pre-packaged, two-dimensional 'identity' acts as a kind of psychological crutch for a low self-esteem -- this is ultimately a very unsatisfying way to live your life.

I was with you up until the bolded part. You could certainly feel like it would be an unsatisfying way to live your own life (with which I have no quarrel), but I just don't get the notion that one can decide whether it's a satisfying way for others to live their lives. There are plenty of people who live their lives in ways that would be unsatisfying to me, but they are entirely happy.

hypersonic

Reaction score
You know, you have a good point there. I guess I am basing my point of some real-life examples I have in mind -- but you are correct, some people do appear to be happy living that way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads