• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

R.I.P. Roy Scheider

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I loved this dude as an actor. He will be missed.
jaws1.jpg

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Heaven is gonna need a bigger boat.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sad. Sounds like he had a history of cancer. Richard Dreyfuss is the only remaining survivor from The Orca.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I really liked Roy Scheider in Romeo Is Bleeding.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And All That Jazz

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He was also great in The French Connection. For another good Scheider thriller, check out 52 Pick-Up.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always preferred his "less well known" roles. A fine actor by any measure.

Marathon Man - as Dustin Hoffman's older brother. I loved the expression on the old lady's face as she witnessed the unsuccessful bloody and gruesome attempt to garrote Scheider's character.

All That Jazz - Scheider smoking a cigarette while taking his morning shower was the perfect distillation of Bob Fosse.

Sorcerer - out of the frying pan and into the fire for a small-time crook on the lam in this Friedkin "classic."

The French Connection - good role, yet easily overshadowed by Gene Hackman's Popeye Doyle.

__

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
He certainly was a pretty good actor. Don't forget his lead in an early proto-cyberpunk movie, way back in 1983, Blue Thunder.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
I always preferred his "less well known" roles. A fine actor by any measure.

Marathon Man - as Dustin Hoffman's older brother. I loved the expression on the old lady's face as she witnessed the unsuccessful bloody and gruesome attempt to garrote Scheider's character.

Sorcerer - out of the frying pan and into the fire for a small-time crook on the lam in this Friedkin "classic."

Two other really good ones. Most people probably won't remember him from Marathon Man, given that the main show was Dustin Hoffman, Lawrence Olivier, and the dentist's drill.

Sorcerer is a great adventure/thriller, though it was a commercial flop at the time of its release (it is a remake of Wages of Fear, a great film in its own right). Highly recommended, and I can't believe I forgot to mention it above. The tv show Lost actually did a brief homage to Socerer and Wages of Fear during an episode where old dynamite is discovered in a grounded ship.

People may also forget that Scheider was nominated for best supporting actor from The French Connection. No small feat considering he had to share the bulk of his screen time with the character required scenary chewing of Gene Hackman.

mrpologuy

Reaction score
He was great in the movie Tiger Town about an aging Detroit Tigers player trying to get one more shot at glory. It was a great movie and Jaws will continue to be one of my fav movies of all time. He will be missed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads