• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

R&B, who are you feelin these days?

oceans11

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
246
Reaction score
0
I was really surprised on how much action was on the Hip Hop posts so I'm wondering if there's anyone new out there people are feeling these days in the R&B genre? I don't know about most of you but I'm finding it harder & harder these days to find quality R&B. I'm tired of hearing the vocoder voice box & hearing T-Pain on EVERY R&B single.

So far I'm listening to Keyshia Coles "Just like you" & "The Way It Is" albums because I'm pretty disappointed so far in her "A different me" joint.

Actually there's a few artists who's recent album drop I wasn't to impressed with like Anthony Hamilton (who I really like) & Raphael Saadiq's "The way I see it" I'm not really into either but I still play "Instant Vintage".

I'm eagerly waiting on D'Angelo's new album (if it actually does come out) because I like the new single, "I found my smile again".
 

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2007
Messages
3,561
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by oceans11
I was really surprised on how much action was on the Hip Hop posts so I'm wondering if there's anyone new out there people are feeling these days in the R&B genre? I don't know about most of you but I'm finding it harder & harder these days to find quality R&B. I'm tired of hearing the vocoder voice box & hearing T-Pain on EVERY R&B single. So far I'm listening to Keyshia Coles "Just like you" & "The Way It Is" albums because I'm pretty disappointed so far in her "A different me" joint. Actually there's a few artists who's recent album drop I wasn't to impressed with like Anthony Hamilton (who I really like) & Raphael Saadiq's "The way I see it" I'm not really into either but I still play "Instant Vintage". I'm eagerly waiting on D'Angelo's new album (if it actually does come out) because I like the new single, "I found my smile again".
I sort of liked Anthony Hamiltons newest joint, however his past works were considerably better, the same can be said about Saadiq. Both are more in line with Neo Soul (which is probably my favorite genre), however I'd agree "Instant Vintage" was simply amazing. There has been much these days that impress me, I've been breaking out the Cd's from several years ago i.e. Joi, Urban Mystic, Raheem Devaughn, the latest Angie Stone and Erykah's "World Wide Underground".

I too am looking forward to D'Angelo's new CD, (as well as Maxwell's).
 

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2002
Messages
1,370
Reaction score
2
I'm not feeling a lot of R&B these days. I recycle a lot of 90s stuff. New Edition, Bobby Brown, Johnny Gill, Maxwell, Brownstone, Jodeci, Tevin Campbell, Tony Toni Tone, etc.

I am looking forward to Maxwell's new album. Hopefully, it is better than the last two.
 

oceans11

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
246
Reaction score
0
Oh word, is Maxwell coming out with a new album? Embrya was my favorite album of his. And I agree the majority of what I listed is definitely Neo Soul.

Out of the new "kids" that are out I think Ne-Yo has the best talent among the males & his 2 albums are more reminiscent of Ushers 2 & 3rd albums.

If you haven't already check out an artist named, Algebra Blessett.

Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
I sort of liked Anthony Hamiltons newest joint, however his past works were considerably better, the same can be said about Saadiq. Both are more in line with Neo Soul (which is probably my favorite genre), however I'd agree "Instant Vintage" was simply amazing. There has been much these days that impress me, I've been breaking out the Cd's from several years ago i.e. Joi, Urban Mystic, Raheem Devaughn, the latest Angie Stone and Erykah's "World Wide Underground".

I too am looking forward to D'Angelo's new CD, (as well as Maxwell's).
 

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2007
Messages
3,561
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by scnupe7
I'm not feeling a lot of R&B these days. I recycle a lot of 90s stuff. New Edition, Bobby Brown, Johnny Gill, Maxwell, Brownstone, Jodeci, Tevin Campbell, Tony Toni Tone, etc.

I am looking forward to Maxwell's new album. Hopefully, it is better than the last two.

Let's not mention Tony Toni Tone, because rarely are any recent artists creative enough to even hang with them, it's a shame they split up. I kind of liked Max's last CD, however it never really compared to "Urban Hang Suite" or "Embrya".

Then again my favorite Max song was from a soundtrack: "Fortunate".
 

oceans11

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
246
Reaction score
0
Man, you just took me back in time. I also agree my favorite decade was probably the 90's. I have Tevin, Johnny & the whole NE crew on constant rotation in my music playlists. I also started RE-listening to Dru Hill, I think they got a bad rap with "The Thong Song" & Sisqo doing his own thing. Then I saw this youtube clip where they were at a radio station making a comeback & one of the dudes on air said he was splitting & just created mad drama. I don't know if that was a radio pub stunt or for real but it was a trip. And what about..............MINT CONDITION!!
Originally Posted by scnupe7
I'm not feeling a lot of R&B these days. I recycle a lot of 90s stuff. New Edition, Bobby Brown, Johnny Gill, Maxwell, Brownstone, Jodeci, Tevin Campbell, Tony Toni Tone, etc. I am looking forward to Maxwell's new album. Hopefully, it is better than the last two.
 

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2002
Messages
1,370
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
Let's not mention Tony Toni Tone, because rarely are any recent artists creative enough to even hang with them, it's a shame they split up. I kind of liked Max's last CD, however it never really compared to "Urban Hang Suite" or "Embrya".

Then again my favorite Max song was from a soundtrack: "Fortunate".


His Unplugged album was also very good. It contains his cover of Kate Bush's Woman's Work.
 

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2007
Messages
3,561
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by scnupe7
His Unplugged album was also very good. It contains his cover of Kate Bush's Woman's Work.
I can't disagree, the "Unplugged Album" was pretty nice.
 

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2007
Messages
3,561
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by scnupe7
His Unplugged album was also very good. It contains his cover of Kate Bush's Woman's Work.
Double post.....dang SF servers!
 

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2002
Messages
1,370
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by oceans11
Man, you just took me back in time. I also agree my favorite decade was probably the 90's. I have Tevin, Johnny & the whole NE crew on constant rotation in my music playlists. I also started RE-listening to Dru Hill, I think they got a bad rap with "The Thong Song" & Sisqo doing his own thing. Then I saw this youtube clip where they were at a radio station making a comeback & one of the dudes on air said he was splitting & just created mad drama. I don't know if that was a radio pub stunt or for real but it was a trip.

And what about..............MINT CONDITION!!


Oh yeah, l like MC. I appreciate that they are an actual band and the music is made with real instruments, which I believe was pretty rare, even then.
 

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
16,630
Reaction score
6,255
I am currently enjoying Musiq Soulchilds new album "On My Radio." I also have Neyo's "Year of the Gentlemen" on rotation.
90's is definitely the decade of R&B: Dru Hill, 112, BlackStreet, Next, Brandy, Monica, Destiny's Child, TLC, Aaliyah, Boyz II Men, Ginuwine, etc...
 

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
10,080
Reaction score
1,179
Who are these people?
The only one that strikes a bell is Whitney's husband.


For me: The ususal - hasn't changed in twenty years. Hank Ballard, Louis Jordan, Ike Turner, The 5 Royales, Esquerita, The Treniers, Bo Diddley, The Dominoes, Big Joe Turner, Johhny Otis, etc. ....
 

oceans11

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
246
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by RFX45
I am currently enjoying Musiq Soulchilds new album "On My Radio." I also have Neyo's "Year of the Gentlemen" on rotation.
90's is definitely the decade of R&B: Dru Hill, 112, BlackStreet, Next, Brandy, Monica, Destiny's Child, TLC, Aaliyah, Boyz II Men, Ginuwine, etc...


I think Musiq & Donell are very underrated as well. Aaliyah I miss a lot & I don't know what happened to Boyz II Men. I mean the talent was there, they just fell off.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 278 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.4%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.8%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 8 1.0%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 54 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,233
Messages
9,230,825
Members
193,764
Latest member
SimonDenmark
Top