• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quoddy x albam sizing???

astris

Reaction score
Just got my Quoddy/albam's in today. All sizes are in UK. Ordered size 8UK expecting to get size 9US. Apparently size 8UK = 8.5US!? Every shoe I own shows a one number difference between UK/US. Am I missing something? So pissed because these shoes are ridiculously awesome.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
it's too bad there's no quoddy thread to ask this in
frown.gif
999px-Shoesize-adult-en.svg.png

astris

Reaction score
^^^ that confirms my confusion. Why would albam consider them only a 1/2 difference? I can understand if they just sent the wrong size, but the box is actually marked UK8/US8.5.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
not every maker abides by same sizing conventions it's not law

astris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shahanshah
not every maker abides by same sizing conventions it's not law

Well, in this case it's not the maker, but the vendor since Quoddy is a US company. It's extremely frustrating considering albam makes a point to list that the sizes are in UK, but does not have a sizing guide to show their non-standard conversion. They even include a sizing hyperlink on shoes pages that links to all sizing but shoes! I'm certain their intent is to irritate. lol.

Seriously though, is this a mistake? How on earth is anyone supposed to know this when ordering?

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by astris
Just got my Quoddy/albam's in today. All sizes are in UK. Ordered size 8UK expecting to get size 9US. Apparently size 8UK = 8.5US!? Every shoe I own shows a one number difference between UK/US. Am I missing something? So pissed because these shoes are ridiculously awesome.

My shoes are 10.5US/10UK. Every shoe size conversion I've seen before uses half sizes, not full sizes. So, there's a good chance this is a lack of education on your part.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seriously though, is this a mistake? How on earth is anyone supposed to know this when ordering?

It's not a mistake, sometimes it is a full size (like for Paul Smith) and sometimes half size. I just asked in an email what size I should get and they told me half size down.

BTW I'm selling the 10.5us ones I have if anyone is interested.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
How on earth is anyone supposed to know this when ordering?

telephone.jpg

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Perhaps if you're purchasing something of questionable sizing? marsupialed much?

astris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Perhaps if you're purchasing something of questionable sizing? marsupialed much?
Attempt at clever retort with insult, on cue. Stellar contribution.

Sizing was never questionable. I knew exactly what size I needed. Shop has a different conversion. Lesson learned: ask about sizing when purchasing US products from a non-US store. Not sure how frequently that lesson will be applied, but a lesson nonetheless.

I still contend that a shoe sizing chart would be equally valuable to both vendor and buyer. Hard to argue the contrary.

astris

Reaction score
I ended up contacting Albam via email. Had to go against the phone suggestion considering the slight 8 hour time difference makes it a bit of a challenge.

The Albam staff was polite and friendly, a somewhat forgotten trait in these days of mass internet commerce. Ended up buying another pair and returning these as opposed to an exchange for faster turnaround. Despite my apparently solo sizing complaints, I would recommend this shop. In addition to solid customer service, international shipping was pretty quick and smooth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads