• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quoddy Chukka break in

pocari3

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently bought a pair of Quoddy Chukka with chromexcel leather. When I put them on at home they feel great. However, my heel started getting blister after just 15 min of walking. I suspect that the stitching between the upper and lower part of the leather was rubbing my heel. You can see from the picture here http://quoddy.com/images/closeup/quoddychukka.jpg

It seems like a big design flaw, however, I could not find any information of other people having the same issue. It probably didn't help that the shoes are a bit loose.

Anyone who has or had Quoddy Chukka...did you experience the same thing before? Is it going to get better? or should i try to get a smaller size (i already went down half size from my normal size)

thanks!!

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
you sized wrong. send back and go up a 1/2 size.

you need to go tts on quoddy and yuketens.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you sir bring forth a valid concern which deserves attention of the highest order

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You couldn't post this in the quoddy shoe megathread that was on the 1st page WHY

pocari3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
You couldn't post this in the quoddy shoe megathread that was on the 1st page WHY

yeah I saw the thread after i started this thread...and I dunno how to delete this.

pocari3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
you sized wrong. send back and go up a 1/2 size.

you need to go tts on quoddy and yuketens.

8.5 feels pretty big. and I'm worried that the rubbing will get worse since my feet will be looser in the shoes. right now I can already stick one finger at the back on my heel

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocari3
yeah I saw the thread after i started this thread...and I dunno how to delete this.

its not hard. if you have blisters you have the wrong size. i own a couple pairs of quoddys and you always want to go true to size (your dress shoes size) unless you know you have a narrow foot ... which you dont otherwise you wouldnt have blisters.

pocari3

Reaction score
its not hard. if you have blisters you have the wrong size. i own a couple pairs of quoddys and you always want to go true to size (your dress shoes size) unless you know you have a narrow foot ... which you dont otherwise you wouldnt have blisters.

I am size D (in terms of width) according to quoddy. If I go with 8.5 I would have more than half an inch of space between the front of the shoes and my toe. Do you usually have that much space with yours?

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am size D (in terms of width) according to quoddy. If I go with 8.5 I would have more than half an inch of space between the front of the shoes and my toe. Do you usually have that much space with yours?
really? i have right about a 1/2" between the end of my big toe and the first row of stitches on my boat shoe and maliseets. that is the most you will want to have for a good fit, at least imo. are you getting blisters on your heel or on your upper foot? i leather is still but not overly stiff so i dont think the new leather is the issue. interesting ...

pocari3

Reaction score
really? i have right about a 1/2" between the end of my big toe and the first row of stitches on my boat shoe and maliseets. that is the most you will want to have for a good fit, at least imo.

are you getting blisters on your heel or on your upper foot? i leather is still but not overly stiff so i dont think the new leather is the issue. interesting ...

yeah I used the 1/2" rule and went down half a size instead. It feels like a much better with with size 8 as well.

I'm getting blister on my heel from rubbing the back of my feet against the part where the upper and lower parts of the leather get stitched together.

The shoes feel so nice when i'm wearing them inside...but once I start walking the rubbing starts
frown.gif
I started tightening the laces more so my heel aren't lifting as much when i walk...but I don't think I can walk long distance in them...yet... How much do your quoddys stretch over time?

Another interesting thing I noticed: the 8.5 I tried had a much thicker leather liner and more cognac color, where as the size 8 i have is a very thin liner and more white-ish. I assume it's just because they leather varies between different lot.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
yeah I used the 1/2" rule and went down half a size instead. It feels like a much better with with size 8 as well. I'm getting blister on my heel from rubbing the back of my feet against the part where the upper and lower parts of the leather get stitched together. The shoes feel so nice when i'm wearing them inside...but once I start walking the rubbing starts
frown.gif
I started tightening the laces more so my heel aren't lifting as much when i walk...but I don't think I can walk long distance in them...yet... How much do your quoddys stretch over time? Another interesting thing I noticed: the 8.5 I tried had a much thicker leather liner and more cognac color, where as the size 8 i have is a very thin liner and more white-ish. I assume it's just because they leather varies between different lot.

they wont really stretch in length but they will in width. they will just stretch and mold to your foot. so stretching will vary. if they are the same color that is very odd. you do see some differences in color depending on which part of the hide was used but its usually not that extreme. that is very strange.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wear socks until they break in??? or you sized incorrectly

i own the 3sixteen x quoddy chukkas in peanut grizzly and dont have this issue

my .02

pocari3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
wear socks until they break in??? or you sized incorrectly

i own the 3sixteen x quoddy chukkas in peanut grizzly and dont have this issue

my .02

I always wear socks lol. is that okay?

I'm still unsure if I should size up or down from 8.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I always wear socks lol. is that okay?

I'm still unsure if I should size up or down from 8.

you shouldnt be getting blisters. these are like the most comfortable shoes on the planet ... at least my yuketen and osb's are.

here, if they feel okay in the length but are snug in the width you will be okay. if they feel tight in the length and width you need to go up a 1/2 size.

pocari3

Reaction score
you shouldnt be getting blisters. these are like the most comfortable shoes on the planet ... at least my yuketen and osb's are.

here, if they feel okay in the length but are snug in the width you will be okay. if they feel tight in the length and width you need to go up a 1/2 size.

I think the length are width are good. I'll try to tape sometime over the stitching...I think that's the only way to prevent the rubbing with the back of my heel. The leather is pretty soft already so I doubt that it'll be better over time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads