• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quoddy Chukka break in

pocari3

Reaction score
So I studied the shoes more tonight and I'm pretty sure what's causing the problem. From the picture of the back of the shoe, you can see that the left side was stitched lower than the right side. And my back of my heel is hurting right where that 1.75" mark is. If the left side were stitched together @ 2" I wouldn't be getting the pain.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocari3
So I studied the shoes more tonight and I'm pretty sure what's causing the problem. From the picture of the back of the shoe, you can see that the left side was stitched lower than the right side. And my back of my heel is hurting right where that 1.75" mark is. If the left side were stitched together @ 2" I wouldn't be getting the pain.
no way! those should not look like that. the maker of that shoe did not do the back correctly. for some reason when you were talking about getting blisters i thought you meant on the bottom of your feet ... not at the back of your foot. i can see how that would cause a blister. i took some pics of a pair of my yuketens chukkas that have a similar constructed back so you can see what it is suppose to look like. i would contact quoddy and send them that picture. it will take a while ... a long while to get them back but they need to fix that. quoddy has been doing some weird stuff lately ... putting two right shoes in boxes and now this? let us know what they say. this is what it should look like.
DSCN0676.jpg
DSCN0677-1.jpg

pocari3

Reaction score
Okay...I thought it was weird too...the store tried to explain to me that they won't be perfectly aligned because they were hand-made..and i believed them.

I emailed some pictures to Quoddy and I'll see what they say. I have until Sunday to return them so I think I should do that instead of waiting for Quoddy to offer to fix them.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocari3
Okay...I thought it was weird too...the store tried to explain to me that they won't be perfectly aligned because they were hand-made..and i believed them.

I emailed some pictures to Quoddy and I'll see what they say. I have until Sunday to return them so I think I should do that instead of waiting for Quoddy to offer to fix them.

well, they were right in the sense that there should be some imperfections, but not like that. the structure of the shoe should be consistent from shoe to shoe. quoddy is famous for mis-aligned stitching, but i have never seen anything like that.

good luck.

pocari3

Reaction score
So I went back to the store today and the sales person took out a bunch of Quoddy chukkas to compare with the ones I got. Turned out that mine was the only pair with mis-aligned stitching at the back. They didn't have any more navy in size 8 so I got a pair of brown ones with deck sole instead. One thing I noticed was that the navy ones she showed me seemed to be made not as well as other colour. the size 8.5 navy had a hole at the back! Regarding the difference in liner colour. I took 2 pics of my old navy and new brown. You can kinda see that the navy one has a more white-ish liner, while the other one is more cognac.
IMG_0357.jpg
IMG_0362.jpg

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
can you minimize those pics? the pics are huge and the detail sucks..

what is the "glove" lining made of? do you know?

pocari3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
what is the "glove" lining made of? do you know?

According to the box, the lighter one is milano leather, and the darker one is tan deerskin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads