• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quoddy Boat Shoes MEGATHREAK

CMT1

Reaction score
Love these pics! I have the same coming in the mail today - but with the chromepack sole instead of Newflex wrap. I've never owned a pair of shoes with chromepack soles so really wanted to give it a go. Tough choice though since the Vibram looks grippy and comfortable (air-injected I think?)..and the color goes well.

The Chromepak sole is (imho) the perfect old-school/OG sole for this moc, especially with the cross stitching that makes it look so old-world and classic. I find Quoddy's chromepak sole to be very comfortable, just not as bouncy as the Vibram and from what I have seen it will not last as long with the same amount of walking on hard pavement.

Which is understandable given the material differences and it's not like they disintegrate on your feet after a few walks - plus there are always other options to reach for when you know you're going to do a lot of walking that day.

Looks-wise, the chromepak kills. I think the Vibram looks fine, but for me when it comes to classic casual awesomeness, roughed up chromepak under a well worn CXL moc is tough to beat!

NonChalant321

Reaction score
The Chromepak sole is (imho) the perfect old-school/OG sole for this moc, especially with the cross stitching that makes it look so old-world and classic. I find Quoddy's chromepak sole to be very comfortable, just not as bouncy as the Vibram and from what I have seen it will not last as long with the same amount of walking on hard pavement.

Which is understandable given the material differences and it's not like they disintegrate on your feet after a few walks - plus there are always other options to reach for when you know you're going to do a lot of walking that day.

Looks-wise, the chromepak kills. I think the Vibram looks fine, but for me when it comes to classic casual awesomeness, roughed up chromepak under a well worn CXL moc is tough to beat!

I wonder if Quoddy would resole later on to Vibram Newflex if I wanted to switch. I know usually Chromepack soles are resoled like in kind, but the stitching looks similar as they're both wrap soles.

CMT1

Reaction score
It's a really good question and I'd be very interested to hear what Kirsten/Elizabeth says!

NonChalant321

Reaction score
My order arrived but turns out they put the newflex sole on. It might be the wrong order since the lining is also not the gold glove one I requested - but honestly they're amazing! I debated whether to just say I'll keep but might have someone else's order.

CMT1

Reaction score
Well that stinks. Hopefully Quoddy handles it with their usually awesome CS!

NonChalant321

Reaction score
CS got back to me and offered to exchange or the option of later resoling to chromepak at a discount for the mixup. I chose the latter and am happy with their service!

Love the color, the stitching, the fit and the lining feels luxe.

NonChalant321

Reaction score
These olive CXL canoe mocs just came back from Quoddy after I sent them in 2 weeks ago. I ended up deciding to take up their offer to switch (free of charge) from the Vibram wrap sole to the natural chromepak sole I originally requested.

I was debating on keeping the vibram wrap sole because they're grippy and cushioned - and the black rubber goes well with the olive upper. In the end, trying a cross-stitched chromepak sole for the first time was one of my main motivations for ordering this shoe so I sent them back. For now,I plan to wear them mostly indoors and out on the deck. Quoddy will resole to either the Chromepak or Vibram wrap sole and keep the cross-stitching so after a few years I may decide to try the Vibram and wear them more outdoors. They are a piece of art - I'm kind of in awe of the quality of construction and stitching. And they fit perfectly after Quoddy stretched out the toe box a bit.

I had also originally ordered the gold lining but decided to keep the brass lining the shoe initially came with. It was comfortably soft, smooth with no stickiness, and loved the olive uppers so didn't want to do a complete replacement.

20221014_093311.jpg
20221014_093339.jpg
20221014_093451.jpg

Last edited:

CMT1

Reaction score
Awesome stuff. It makes no sense to get anything other than exactly what you wanted and the short wait is better than time spent regretting the choice. They look great on Chromepak and I prefer the look to the Vibram for the whole legit-by-the-campfire aesthetic thing, and I will definitely say that in the 2 weeks I've been wearing mine they have broken in to be about the most comfortable shoes imaginable.

Mocs13Days-1-X2.jpg

Moca13Days-2-X2.jpg

It's going to be interesting to see how the Vibrams hold up to relentless wear, as they haven't really been swapped out for anything else these past 14 days and the soles are definitely showing some rub!

Happy Friday and have a great weekend!

NonChalant321

Reaction score
Awesome stuff. It makes no sense to get anything other than exactly what you wanted and the short wait is better than time spent regretting the choice. They look great on Chromepak and I prefer the look to the Vibram for the whole legit-by-the-campfire aesthetic thing, and I will definitely say that in the 2 weeks I've been wearing mine they have broken in to be about the most comfortable shoes imaginable.

Mocs13Days-1-X2.jpg

Moca13Days-2-X2.jpg

It's going to be interesting to see how the Vibrams hold up to relentless wear, as they haven't really been swapped out for anything else these past 14 days and the soles are definitely showing some rub!

Happy Friday and have a great weekend!

Wow - that first photo! They have already been breaking in to look great and can feel the comfort just from the pic. Enjoy them in good health!

NonChalant321

Reaction score
Is it normal to feel pinching and pain under the eyelet, laces, beefroll area with new camp mocs? Does it eventually go away?

I'm only a couple of days into breaking in my CXL canoe mocs, but this one spot does not seem to be much getting better. Actually, I suppose it's more bearable now if I'm just lounging in one place (without standing) - but the moment I start walking it gets to be somewhat painful. I've tried thick socks, use shoe trees, etc. I'm starting to wonder if I should have gone with 8.5E instead of the standard width D.

20221018_095916-a.jpg

7sport

Reaction score
Is it normal to feel pinching and pain under the eyelet, laces, beefroll area with new camp mocs? Does it eventually go away?

I'm only a couple of days into breaking in my CXL canoe mocs, but this one spot does not seem to be much getting better. Actually, I suppose it's more bearable now if I'm just lounging in one place (without standing) - but the moment I start walking it gets to be somewhat painful. I've tried thick socks, use shoe trees, etc. I'm starting to wonder if I should have gone with 8.5E instead of the standard width D.

View attachment 1845929

my experience with quoddys in general is that they soften up significantly over time as compared to new. One other note is that my latest pair (olive cxl group buy) are lined. It’s my first lined pair from Quoddy and they feel much more substantial than prior pairs I’ve broken in. I assume they’ll eventually soften way up, but can’t say for sure.

Can’t say I’ve ever experienced pain from a new Quoddy shoe, but I haven’t tried their camp mocs either (lots of bluchers and boat shoes)

CMT1

Reaction score
Got these chocolate suede bluchers resoled with a natural Chromepak sole.

View attachment 1845462

Oh yeah, those mofos scream comfort. Nice.

View attachment 1845929

Had this exact same hot spot with my pair of EasyMocs - Weirdly enough, it was when they returned from a resole and they were never anything but perfectly comfortable beforehand. They are also CXL, they had stretched out about as much as they were going to in the 7 months of daily wear prior, and the only thing that removed the discomfort was a band-aided blister than turned into a callus.

I would think that your Quoddys have a lot of stretch in them at this point, so I'd try to wear them with socks as much as possible, at least at first, to maybe stretch out that spot and be fit for sockless wear.

NonChalant321

Reaction score
Had this exact same hot spot with my pair of EasyMocs - Weirdly enough, it was when they returned from a resole and they were never anything but perfectly comfortable beforehand. They are also CXL, they had stretched out about as much as they were going to in the 7 months of daily wear prior, and the only thing that removed the discomfort was a band-aided blister than turned into a callus.

I would think that your Quoddys have a lot of stretch in them at this point, so I'd try to wear them with socks as much as possible, at least at first, to maybe stretch out that spot and be fit for sockless wear.

Did they replace your old laces with new ones when your EasyMocs were resoled? I'm suspecting it could be the new rawhide laces that are aggravating the area, given how camp moc lacing works and the eyelet postition - hopefully they'll flatten out over time. Right now, I can feel literally feel my bones compressing in that area.

I did try wearing them today with a silicone tailor's bunion pad under some thick socks and it seemed to help a bit.

NonChalant321

Reaction score
my experience with quoddys in general is that they soften up significantly over time as compared to new. One other note is that my latest pair (olive cxl group buy) are lined. It’s my first lined pair from Quoddy and they feel much more substantial than prior pairs I’ve broken in. I assume they’ll eventually soften way up, but can’t say for sure.

Can’t say I’ve ever experienced pain from a new Quoddy shoe, but I haven’t tried their camp mocs either (lots of bluchers and boat shoes)

I experienced similar (to a lesser degree) with Rancourt CXL ranger mocs when they were brand new. It took a while but now they're very comfortable so hopefully these turn out that way too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads