• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quoddy Boat Shoes MEGATHREAK

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a hard time finding pics of this exact makeup, so figured I would contribute these. Natural cxl, natural threads, gum camp sole, antique brass, rawhide lace, cross-stitch tips

Last edited:

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SO I called in today and found out that Quoddy has increased their refurb cost to $130 and there's a 6-8 week lagtime. I remember paying $30 for this just a couple years ago....Anyways, has anyone tried to go an alternative route and used either another company or a local cobbler to do repairs? My bluchers (the standard chromexel/bricksole ones) badly need a resole so that's what I'm most interested in getting done.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SO I called in today and found out that Quoddy has increased their refurb cost to $130 and there's a 6-8 week lagtime. I remember paying $30 for this just a couple years ago....Anyways, has anyone tried to go an alternative route and used either another company or a local cobbler to do repairs? My bluchers (the standard chromexel/bricksole ones) badly need a resole so that's what I'm most interested in getting done.

This is insane. Their prices have almost doubled in the last 10 years as well.

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In case anyone's curious - I ended up just buying the soles from Quoddy ($35 shipped I believe) and bringing them to a local shoe repair shop. Total cost to repair was around $60-70.

tobiasfunke19

Reaction score
Anyone know why quoddy Tukabuk II costs 189 while the rest of the models cost ~300?

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know why quoddy Tukabuk II costs 189 while the rest of the models cost ~300?
Without knowing what you're looking at, I would assume that the Tukabuk 2 is made in the Dominican.

schweezly

Reaction score
Thread bump! I got these in today And went 1/2 size down from my Nike size (10D.) I’m wondering if I should have gone another half, as I hear they stretch quite a bit. Below you’ll see where my big toes are.

This is without socks, but realistically I’ll probably wear thin socks with these. I’m just not a “no sock” guy

I know, not technically boat shoes. I thought about the boat shoes but wasn’t sure how the sole would last

B081D8F4-7840-4C36-91AE-47C663994EB4.jpeg

Last edited:

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
any feedback on the Quoddy true penny loafers in terms of sizing, etc?

the Quoddy site says go a half size down from your normal size

I have also heard that you can trace your feet and send the traces to Quoddy and they will make shoes in exactly your size, but did not see any info on this in the website

very interested in these shoes but a little gunshy about MTO loafers since the fit needs to be so exact with loafers

thanks!

DinoPete

Reaction score
any feedback on the Quoddy true penny loafers in terms of sizing, etc?

the Quoddy site says go a half size down from your normal size

I have also heard that you can trace your feet and send the traces to Quoddy and they will make shoes in exactly your size, but did not see any info on this in the website

very interested in these shoes but a little gunshy about MTO loafers since the fit needs to be so exact with loafers

thanks!

I followed there sizing and get 1/2 smaller then my Nike. Absolutely love the shoes and fit perfectly out of the box.

Need to get them resoled but they definitely are my favorite loafers

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm not sure if this is the right place for this info but I don't really see anything else for Quoddy so I'll go ahead and add it here. Maybe Quoddy isn't well-liked on this forum? Not sure what the story is....

Anyway, I recently picked up a pair of the blucher mocs in natty cxl with the red Vibram outsole. I wanted to capture my own fit info in case this helps anyone, as the various forums are flooded with conflicting information related to the sizing.

I brannock at a 7.5C, both left and right foot. Right foot has a very high instep, left has a moderately high. The right foot instep usually dominates the fit. If the shoes use a low vamp, I can typically get away with D-width and full fits. And conversely if the shoes use a raised vamp, it either needs to be balanced with a very narrow width, some kind of reduction in volume, a B or C-width, or it's a no-go.

Anyway, I have a tough time with handsewn lasts and/or lasts where the descriptions include something along the lines of TTS. I usually size down to a 7D and let the last's elongation help me out. But on handsewns that doesn't really happen. Couple examples -

1. I'm an AE guy through and through, but AE's handsewn lasts have posed quite a problem for me. Starting with the 114 which I consider the most TTS, typically a 7D may or may not work depending upon how rigid the vamp is and how much padding is included to reduce the volume, and a 7.5D is just "out.". If the shoes are super heavily padded then a 7.5D works. Similarly, if the shoes are made from very flexible suedes or cxl and are unlined or basically include no padding, a 7D works. With the 800, it's basically a similar story as the 114, except that the vamps have been a tiny bit easier on the 800 than the 114. Finally with AE's 555 last, with the exception of the unlined cxl Maritimes/Kirkwoods and the unlined chromepak Northland which I took 7D, I need a full 7.5D on this due to the low vamp and tight overall volume. Due to the variation in handsewn productions, I'll throw out some examples of stuff I either owned or have tried - suede Cavanaugh was great in a 7D while the calf was highly problematic due to the vamp, 7.5D didn't work; AE's Nashua is basically perfect in a 7.5D; AE's Kenwood was very snug but passable in a 7D, BB versions I needed every bit of the 7.5D; AE's original Sanibels 7D was so-so (put me too close to the front), the Sanibel remake (555 last instead of 800) was a disaster - couldn't even get the 7D on. Schrier was similar - 7D was a no-go, 7.5D was too big. Maritime, Kirkwood and Northland I needed 7D and it was pretty good; Ely & Sea Island I needed a solid 7.5D due to the vamp. I don't see a ton of usage, but for completeness, I will say that I have never had trouble with a 7D on the 2592 last regardless of the padding. With very little padding sometimes there is excess volume but it's always been manageable. More importantly is that I don't think I would ever need a 7.5D on this last. On the 2592, the I80, Ventura Highway, Rye and Duke have all worked for me in a 7D.

I put in all this detail because I believe Rancourt, who used to produce directly for AE, still uses the 114 and 800 lasts frequently in its offerings and sometimes even uses the 2592.

2. I have a crazy horrible time with athletic sneakers and literally have not found something decent yet. I can wear an 8D in most Nikes so I guess that means they must run both low volume and the vamp must be extra "bad". I can't wear anything in NB - 7D is too short in length and I'm swimming in a 7.5D. Last sneakers I tried was something from Brooks and it was very similar story - 7D too short, 7.5D too big. This is a running theme with athletic sneakers for me.

I know very little about Quoddy. From what I saw, I'm speculating the blucher mocs use pebble grain, cxl, suede or cavalier but I honestly don't know. The natty pair I got was cxl. Very soft, flexible cxl. They included a full length leather liner glued into the bottoms of the shoes. With the blucher moc, I went with a 7D (not a 7.5D) and it's super comfortable. I can wear it with medium weight socks just fine. I'm about a thumbnail-plus away from the ends of the shoes which is right about where I wanted to be. After two full day's wears they've stretched to the point where they're super comfortable. With the stretchy / flexible cxl, I have zero trouble with the vamp on these. Going by the advice on the site, by every indication I should have gone 7.5D and I'm convinced that would not have worked at all. I don't know if everything else from them would fit the same or even close enough, but I'm posting this in case it helps anyone in a similar situation make up their mind on sizing.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's see if we can breath some life into this dusty thread...
Today, first wearing of whiskey rugged lug chukkas
20201124_135918.jpg

20201124_135937.jpg

May not be the proper footwear for a 40° F day in November, but this unlined goodness feels like slippers on my feet.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving all!

Last weekend, I took advantage of Quoddy's introductory $129-off offer on their comfort lug soled shoes...
Screenshot_20201126-101827_Email.jpg

I ordered a pair of rootbeer mocs w/ brick soles...
Screenshot_20201126-101906_Email.jpg

Looking forward to their arrival!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads