Quoddy Boat Shoes MEGATHREAK

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by padronlover, Jul 28, 2008.

1. irbe

irbe Senior member

obenaufs or sno-seal, but they probably won't look like that ^ afterward!

on a side note, I sent my boat shoes back to Quoddy to get them resoled, and just got the notice that they are shipping them back to me. $25, shipping back to me included, and it took no time at all.

they were also very friendly. i chose to call them rather than email, and it went really smooth.

Yeah I think they will darken the laether drastically. Want to preserve the color as much as possible.

2. MichaelPemulis

MichaelPemulis Senior member

i am sure they would fix it^, just call them.

3. whatever123

whatever123 Senior member

does anyone know how the soles hold up on these?

[​IMG]

4. irbe

irbe Senior member

Pair of Deck Chukka on the way:

[​IMG]

Wondering if anybody can recommend how I can protect these bad boys as I want to wear them in the snow...The leather is kinda of rubbery. Only stuff I have on hand is the heavy duty obensauf which im sure will wreck these...

Bump anybody else have these and put some sort of protector on it? Would like to avoid the darkening. Thanks

5. MIKE_JE

MIKE_JE Senior member

does anyone know how the soles hold up on these? [​IMG]
    Can't comment on this, but this is exactly why I've stayed away from these. Crepe soles can be nice (I'm wearing my crepe wedge sole Yuketen's now), but they get dirty and mucky pretty quickly. Now, considering you will be taking these in the field, or at the very least wearing them in the rain or snow, I think they would get ugly/dirty pretty quickly. I'm more inclined to stick to a Vibram sole or camp sole on boots. Just my opinion - obviously if we were out hunting/stalking ducks it would be a different story but I don't think most of us here are using these for their true purpose.

6. constantine.

constantine. Senior member

If you were a quoddy owner for years you'd know that they changed their sizing to run true in the past year and a half or so.

this is false. i asked them about this the last time i called...

7. bobm

bobm Senior member

does anyone know how the soles hold up on these?

[​IMG]

I have the slightly lower boots - Grizzly - but the crepe soles do get dirty fast - if that maters to you (not to me) and don't think they would last too long on if worn on sidewalks.
    As a bit of sidenote, I went on a hike on some trails a few weeks ago and these boots offer superb grip, but not much ankle support and you still feel those rocks. I would way prefer other boots for hiking.

Bob

8. MIKE_JE

MIKE_JE Senior member

I have the slightly lower boots - Grizzly - but the crepe soles do get dirty fast - if that maters to you (not to me) and don't think they would last too long on if worn on sidewalks.
    As a bit of sidenote, I went on a hike on some trails a few weeks ago and these boots offer superb grip, but not much ankle support and you still feel those rocks. I would way prefer other boots for hiking.

Bob

That's the deal with these. I think they are currently finding a market to be worn fashionably, but I just don't think I could get the use out of them they deserve unless I had a hobby of hunting, bird watching, or otherwise observing nature with a quiet stride. Nice to know they are no good for hiking, I pretty much assumed that but I'm glad to hear a review.

I don't think I could get away with wearing these in the urban environment I dwell in, though I do get great use of my Yuketen crepe wedge Angler Moc's. Cool boots, though.

9. jet

jet Persian Bro

this is false. i asked them about this the last time i called...

This is false.

10. bobm

bobm Senior member

That's the deal with these. I think they are currently finding a market to be worn fashionably, but I just don't think I could get the use out of them they deserve unless I had a hobby of hunting, bird watching, or otherwise observing nature with a quiet stride. Nice to know they are no good for hiking, I pretty much assumed that but I'm glad to hear a review.

I don't think I could get away with wearing these in the urban environment I dwell in, though I do get great use of my Yuketen crepe wedge Angler Moc's. Cool boots, though.

Yep, not on any hiking on anything other than soft ground. They are getting fashionable though.
    And I can't imagine any amount of sealer would make these boots (with their large stiching) waterproof.

Bob

11. whatever123

whatever123 Senior member

I have the slightly lower boots - Grizzly - but the crepe soles do get dirty fast - if that maters to you (not to me) and don't think they would last too long on if worn on sidewalks. As a bit of sidenote, I went on a hike on some trails a few weeks ago and these boots offer superb grip, but not much ankle support and you still feel those rocks. I would way prefer other boots for hiking. Bob
    thanks for your input on the soles.

12. QuartBernstein

QuartBernstein New Member

Bump anybody else have these and put some sort of protector on it? Would like to avoid the darkening. Thanks
    Quoddy's Moccasins have an organic waterproofer made of beeswax and bear fat may do the trick. The Russel Moccasin website has an extensive guide on caring for leather shoe's. So on second thought, i'm sure if you deliver the company an e-mail that they will give you the best answer, including, whether it's possible or not. Edit: It's actually Quoddy that has the Organic Waterproofer, my mistake; however Russel's website does have option's on leather care. Shoot either company an e-mail though and I bet you'll get the answer. Russell may have as much help as their shoe's are created for hunting purposes.

13. QuartBernstein

QuartBernstein New Member

I was also looking into the Grizzly or Woodsman Boot, but i'm unable to say for sure if Quoddy's mishaps in quality are universal or in a few orders.

I don't feel any census will be made if we have people shooting positive and negative reviews without comparing.
    Can someone give an overall experience?

14. MIKE_JE

MIKE_JE Senior member

15. irbe

irbe Senior member

Pair of Deck Chukka on the way:

[​IMG]

Wondering if anybody can recommend how I can protect these bad boys as I want to wear them in the snow...The leather is kinda of rubbery. Only stuff I have on hand is the heavy duty obensauf which im sure will wreck these...

Emailed quoddy about the above boot, they said:

He did not recommend a brand other than to make sure that it does not include Wax...

A swatch of Gaucho Crazyweather is on it's way..

Take Care,

Austin

Anybody know a good protector that doesn't have wax? obensauf heavy duty is made up of beeswax.