• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quitting Smoking.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've decided to stop smoking cigarettes, effective immediately. Again.
confused.gif

I don't smoke too much -- maybe 1/2 pack a day, at most. But none of my friends smoke, it's a reprehensible habit, extremely unhealthy, and I know my girlfriend hates it. I'm also about to graduate law school, and I don't want to be that guy in the office who is constantly getting on the elevator and running outside for a nicotine fix. I've actually quit before. I stopped during my junior year of college, and didn't smoke again until exams were looming during my first year in law school (yes, I succumbed to the stress). I'm now in my last semester, and it needs to end.

So, my question is: anyone have any useful advice for dealing with the inevitable cravings? I'm 100% set on quitting cold turkey, so please do not recommend chewing Nicorette or going on the patch or anything like that. The biggest thing for me will be mental anxiety, I'm sure. To the extent it matters, I'm 24, generally active, etc. I've heard that the 3 week mark is the real benchmark.

Any thoughts?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Way-Stop-.../dp/1402718616

Yes, it is just a book but it provides for some useful mind-setting to make the transition. Things like nicorettes are just substitutes for the nicotine. That book will provide some good advice. It isn't necessary to stop smoking before you start the book.

BTW: not shilling for the book but it worked for me...I smoked for twenty years. I quit around two years ago...actually, I am happy to realize that I can't exactly recall when I quit.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I might see if a local bookstore has a copy I can peruse before I decide to buy. I have a hunch that I have heard most of the advice given in this book (at least as the book is described in that Amazon link), and I more or less understand them. I think my main obstacle is my will vs. my subconscious saying, "Ehh... you've had a long day. What's 1 cigarette after dinner gonna matter in the long run?"

Originally Posted by Alter
I smoked for twenty years. I quit around two years ago...actually, I am happy to realize that I can't exactly recall when I quit.

That's awesome. I hope to get there again.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Free your mind. Positive affirmations that you are in control of your actions probably will help too.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NakedYoga
Thanks. I might see if a local bookstore has a copy I can peruse before I decide to buy. I have a hunch that I have heard most of the advice given in this book (at least as the book is described in that Amazon link), and I more or less understand them. I think my main obstacle is my will vs. my subconscious saying, "Ehh... you've had a long day. What's 1 cigarette after dinner gonna matter in the long run?"

That's awesome. I hope to get there again.

You know..you are right that you have heard everything in that book before...but just buy it. Don't peruse it.

The value will come from sitting down over a few days, with a cigarette in hand, reading the book and following the flow. It will help you with that subconscious voice. You don't know me from Adam here but just trust me on this one.

aleeboy

Reaction score
If you can get past your first few days, you are off to a very good start. However, if you are like me, coffee, alcohol and chilling out at bars are your worst enemy. The best deterrent to picking up the habit again is to marry that anti-smoking gf of yours and have a kid.

flambard

Reaction score
While you are at it, incorporate exercise and go on a diet. These three activities
(not smoking, exercise, dieting) will be a constant affirmation that you can do it.
After the first day or two you are the winner!
laugh.gif

I smoked for years, then quit for years. This rotation was played out about four times.
Never had angst about it. If I smoked, I smoked. If I didn't I didn't. Haven't even wanted a cigarette since last century - never will again.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleeboy
If you can get past your first few days, you are off to a very good start. However, if you are like me, coffee, alcohol and chilling out at bars are your worst enemy. The best deterrent to picking up the habit again is to marry that anti-smoking gf of yours and have a kid.

I don't completely agree with this. It was the realization that I could enjoy myself with a coffee or in a bar without needing a cigarette that made quitting a lot easier. It isn't necessary to change your lifestyle..just do whatever you normally do, minus the cigarette.

I am starting to sound like a preacher in this thread. I am out of here but wish NakedYoga the best of luck. I did find the first couple of weeks were tough but certainly easier to handle than having a bad cold or getting over having some wisdom teeth pulled.

turbozed

Reaction score
Snus got me to quit smoking.

Then I pretty much stopped using snus altogether soon afterwards.

gattica

Reaction score
1st time poster here. Lurked for a while though.

Been smoking for at least 7 years since my youth before going qutting. Incidentally, it was when i smoked the heaviest which I made the decision to quit. I had been smoking a pack for a day until the period of time when my national service was going to be over. The cigarette intake came up to a 1 1/2 pack or day or even two. Spent the time rotting my time away. I was basically smoking once every 1/2 hr during my waking hours.

It was until my lungs gave me the clear signal to give it up. It hurt really bad when i smoked, my lungs that is. So i went on the cold turkey approach. It wasn't that bad, coughs, flu, and your body trying to acclimatize to the new, cigaretteless environment. After the 1st month it was basically over. My body still had urges to grab a cigarette from the nearby bystander. It was just mind over body.

I recalled something my college teacher taught me that has helped me. He quit smoking too, after smoking for 30 odd years. Simply breath, not the normal way. But when u breath, your gut expands, and when you exhale, your gut contracts. You effectively breath much more air with every inhale. And your simply removing the nicotine filled air sacs in your lungs every inhale.

Your food intake will definately increase, so be sure to exercise to curb the gut. And to simply do something physical to take your mind off smoking. It's been 3 years since I quit smoking and I'm still loving it.

I still have urges to grab cigarettes when I'm really tired after working for 3 days straight with just 3-4 hours of sleep grabbed. I just need to remind myself it's over and it's pointless going back to those days.

Good luck.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flambard
While you are at it, incorporate exercise and go on a diet. These three activities (not smoking, exercise, dieting) will be a constant affirmation that you can do it.

Right, thanks. I already exercise a fair amount for someone who smokes. I run, sail, play soccer, hit the gym. That's good, though.

Originally Posted by Alter
It was the realization that I could enjoy myself with a coffee or in a bar without needing a cigarette that made quitting a lot easier. It isn't necessary to change your lifestyle..just do whatever you normally do, minus the cigarette.

I like this outlook. Like I said, I'm also in law school, so that lends itself to a lot of stress and periods of time where I am sitting for hours on end looking at a casebook. You need to take breaks during long periods of study, and smoking has always been the "natural" thing to do for me. That will be a big hurdle... doing whatever it is I normally do, minus the cigarette. Right now, I'm actually taking a coffee break from some research for a seminar paper. Coffee is definitely one of my triggers for smoking, so I'm just making sure to take my mind off it, to the extent I can.

Originally Posted by gattica
I recalled something my college teacher taught me that has helped me. He quit smoking too, after smoking for 30 odd years. Simply breath, not the normal way. But when u breath, your gut expands, and when you exhale, your gut contracts. You effectively breath much more air with every inhale. And your simply removing the nicotine filled air sacs in your lungs every inhale.

Not sure I understand this. What is the difference in breathing methods you are suggesting?

MLIW

Reaction score
Snus in the UK is illegal I found out a few months ago, which in my mind makes no sense what so ever, bearing in mind the amount of damage tobacco can do, vs the damage snus can do, I actually prefer snus it last longer and feels nice/tastes nicer.

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just do it. it´s easy ..

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I quit in January, kind of cold Turkey, but used the assistance of Oral tobacco products.
Funny thing is, I noticed that I was gaining weight, I was rather unsure why. Turns out that Snus and chewing tobacco has tons of sugar in it and will really accelerate issues in your mouth.
So, thats out.
I picked up some of the lozenges to help get me through. These are intersting as they last 30 minutes and have no sugar.
I have been using them for a week now, oddly the cravings are just kind of vanishing and the negative withdraw symptoms are not present.
Im just glad I am not using tobacco, that is the most important part.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
get a good gym habit. take your smoking money and get a gym membership or some protein shakes if you already work out. You'll get hooked on the feeling of getting stronger.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads