• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quitting Smoking.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
**** is tough. going on the patch next week.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So strange that I've been smoking for like 5-10 years but never made it into a habit.. I smoke when I feel like it, for pleasure, or I don't. Sometimes a pack or two over a weekend while I hang outside at some cafe, and sometimes no smoking for 3+ months because I don't feel like it...

Hmmm..

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've woken up in the middle of the night for whatever reason and had a cigarette, but never ever in my life has my need for a cig woken me up.

Originally Posted by Fuuma
A lot of people do smoke a mid-night cigarette....

mockingboy

Reaction score
I quit cold turkey after smoking for 8 years when I turned 25 a year ago. I had quit using Zyban and other drugs in the past, but decided I was just going to have strong will-power this time. The only thing that helped me was chewing game sometimes and working out (as much as possible). If you work out, you won't want to smoke.

Also, every time I wanted to smoke, I just thought or said to myself I don't need to smoke and it worked for me.

I remember reading an article by Kirk Douglass in the NY TImes where he would carry one cigarette in his breast pocket and when he wanted to smoke, he would take it out and say out loud "I am stronger than you" and then put it back in his pocket. See below.http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9805E6D8163EF935A25756C0A9659C8B63

ArMiXiA

Reaction score
Im 24 since this past sunday and I've been smoking since I was 16 and quit at 22. Mostly because of the girlfriend but I try to not think about it and see the added lung capacity I got back. Other than that for motivation some of the new anti smoking commercials about lung cancer and gangreen are also encouraging to stop.

But I've quit now for 2 years and the real benchmark I would say is the 2-3 month mark because I remember one time after quitting for 1 month I got back into it thinking "Oh well I didnt smoke for a month so that helps"

Also sorry to drag on but 1 last thing I do is, think about the amount of cigarrettes you've smoked * 15 minutes how many days or months did that take away from your life.

Good luck on quitting and dont look back !

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^thanks. am i out of my mind? those smoking commercials always make me want to have a smoke.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
26 days without a smoke. No patch. The smell makes me sick to my stomach now.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NakedYoga
So I've decided to stop smoking cigarettes, effective immediately. Again.
confused.gif

I don't smoke too much -- maybe 1/2 pack a day, at most. But none of my friends smoke, it's a reprehensible habit, extremely unhealthy, and I know my girlfriend hates it. I'm also about to graduate law school, and I don't want to be that guy in the office who is constantly getting on the elevator and running outside for a nicotine fix. I've actually quit before. I stopped during my junior year of college, and didn't smoke again until exams were looming during my first year in law school (yes, I succumbed to the stress). I'm now in my last semester, and it needs to end.

So, my question is: anyone have any useful advice for dealing with the inevitable cravings? I'm 100% set on quitting cold turkey, so please do not recommend chewing Nicorette or going on the patch or anything like that. The biggest thing for me will be mental anxiety, I'm sure. To the extent it matters, I'm 24, generally active, etc. I've heard that the 3 week mark is the real benchmark.

Any thoughts?

Like you, I smoked 1/2 pack a day, but for over 15 years. I've quit several times, most recently about 2 months ago. As always, while I'm smoking quitting seems impossible, but once I make that decision it's actually very easy. Bupropion/Wellbutrin/Zyban (all the same drug) worked for me. The first week is a pain as irritability is up, but once you break the cravings it's nothing. I highly recommend bupropion. Once you quit, you have to accept that you're like the guy at AA meetings. You can never have another smoke as long as you live. That's how I look at it. In a way it's a shame, but in another more accurate way it's a blessing.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
I smoke when I feel like it, for pleasure, or I don't. Sometimes a pack or two over a weekend while I hang outside at some cafe, and sometimes no smoking for 3+ months because I don't feel like it...

Hmmm..

It's the same for me now, but for a solid year I smoked a ton. Two things did it for me. One is sprints. It's damn hard to sprint and smoke. Also, after a week of sprinting without smoking, your lungs are entirely different. You'll feel the damage that smoking does when you have a couple after that and you'll be miserable when you go for your next sprint.

The other thing that helped me was a recommendation from my buddy. About a week in I wanted that "just one more" which had screwed up my quitting a few times before. He told me to kill the whole pack if I wanted to quit. After a week of sprinting and going smokeless my tolerance for nicotine was gone. I got sick as a dog, puked my guts out, and couldn't stand the smell of cigarettes for a few months after. This would probably work even better if you had stale smokes.

JacobJacob

Reaction score
I just stopped smoking a month ago, and have felt no need for the nocotine - which is super helpfull. Also, the smell disgust me which also is super helpful. The only downside is some weight gain, which I wouldn't worry about if I wasn't climbing - But f*** that. If I totally stop smoking it is worth it.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
good for you. i am trying to stagger them 6 hours apart as a start. god this is tough.

Originally Posted by farfisa23
26 days without a smoke. No patch. The smell makes me sick to my stomach now.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quitting is really easy.

I've done it hundreds of times.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
good for you. i am trying to stagger them 6 hours apart as a start. god this is tough.
Maybe you could start smoking sausage instead?

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07

One of the guys I work with tried to lure me into having one yesterday, I said no. I had a dinner party on Saturday and a few of the guest were smoking, it refrained. The real test will be my trip to the EU and the UK next week. But if I can go a month, I will be very happy and k now it's real.

Kunk, I had a really bad flu for two weeks and that made me stop, the quitting was all on me. Every six hours is a start. Also, next time you run out, don't buy a pack.

Two problems: I am always tired and fidgety and I did put on about 3 lbs, felt it yesterday when I got in the car and my shirt was too tight. Redoubling the exercise and drinking more coffee.

I can see life as a non smoker.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^i want to get there.

i quit for 9 months 2 years ago and my shrink told me to start again as i was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. yes, i am serious.

i will say life no longer revolves around it; i used to refrain from cooking risotto cause i didn;t want to constantly stir without smoking.
frown.gif

i still cannot envision alltogether not smoking; wife is amazed that someone with the discipline to work out every night and such cannot quit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads