• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quitting my job to work in fashion

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
My friend just got a job at Gilt. Then again she is like a brilliant ex-consultant taking a 200% pay cut to do it. She is amazing, and she barely got in the door.

Good luck...

Have you ever read the descriptions Gilt has for jobs? They are insane. THey have specifics as but have a stellar GPA from an Ivy league school, plus have a lot of very specific work experience. I guess either:

1) They post positions but aren't quick to fill them
2) The economy sucks enough where they somehow get exactly what they are looking for to fill the jobs.

Something tells me your friend was as well very well connected with someone inside Gilt.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Have you ever read the descriptions Gilt has for jobs? They are insane. THey have specifics as but have a stellar GPA from an Ivy league school, plus have a lot of very specific work experience. I guess either:

1) They post positions but aren't quick to fill them
2) The economy sucks enough where they somehow get exactly what they are looking for to fill the jobs.

Something tells me your friend was as well very well connected with someone inside Gilt.

Nope, zero connections. She did a bunch of interviews, like three rounds.

Most of my friends are very well-educated.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Nope, zero connections. She did a bunch of interviews, like three rounds.

Most of my friends are very well-educated.

By well-educated you mean by the quantity of their degrees, or where they attended school?

If the financial **** storm brought down upon us by Harvard MBA grads has taught us anything, it is that Ivy League does not equal better education, or smarter, more capable people.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
By well-educated you mean by the quantity of their degrees, or where they attended school?

If the financial **** storm brought down upon us by Harvard MBA grads has taught us anything, it is that Ivy League does not equal better education, or smarter, more capable people.

Yes it does. As proven by my brilliant poasting abilities.

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
I can't fully support this...

there many incredible artists who wouldn't be contributing to society at large if they didn't take chances...

HOWEVER...the OP doesn't need to make it more difficult than it needs to be. Not sure why you can't set a goal of setting aside enough money to go without salary in NYC for 1 year and THEN pursue your dream. Fashion doesn't have an age limit

Well, I think there's a difference between being passionate and then being obsessed.

The passionate ones don't make it nearly as far as the obsessed ones and for art, you need that obsession to succeed.

I don't feel passion is strong enough yet.

It's kinda like what you said later about entrepreneurs, you gotta be a little nuts.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butter
Well, I think there's a difference between being passionate and then being obsessed.

The passionate ones don't make it nearly as far as the obsessed ones and for art, you need that obsession to succeed.

It's kinda like what you said later about entrepreneurs, you gotta be a little nuts.

I'll agree. Obsession is necessary. My insomnia has helped me
smile.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butter

Driven sometimes equals nuts, but in a good way.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tell your potential employers during the interview that you're "fashionate" about working in the field. They'll think the pun is hilarious, just like I do.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
Tell your potential employers during the interview that you're "fashionate" about working in the field. They'll think the pun is hilarious, just like I do.

Lol.

Valor

Reaction score
I will hire to you take pictures of the Mabitex pants I bought yesterday, measure them and post them on B+S.

downwithianbrown

Reaction score
I know a chick who works at Gilt, or spoke to her through a freind at a party. she was snobby and lame. Is gilt the actual fashion industry? it's an online store, you don't create fashion. it's retail, doesnt seem like the creative area he wants.

I dunno man. don't want to discourage you, but you better get crackin if you have no savings and expect to move into fashion.

another option maybe is taking out loans, going to fashion school lomg enough to make some connections and network, and then drop out to work

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gilt will be gone in two.. maybe three years, tops. It's a good "flash in the pan" - but transitioning to something that can stick around for awhile ain't going to happen.

They will sell to Federated (or similar)... and maybe keep the name.

If you want to work there you are attracted by "flash". I'd rather work at the *next* Gilt.

WoodyStylee

Reaction score
I started applying to fashion PR firms this week. (anyone have suggestions for good fashion-specific agencies?)

To answer your questions, yes i am a little nuts, and i take risks. But sometimes you just need to take a chance.

Having no $ is my biggest hurdle right now. I dont have anyone who will loan me some starter cash to move. I can get by on very little, but you still need at least a few grand to sign a lease. (donations anyone?
blush.gif
)

Yes i am obsessed, in the way that i have to force myself not to constantly look at fashion-related material while at work, and i could littleraly spend all day every day learning about/talking about fashion. I think i'm just at the point in my life, where i'm 26. I need to pick a career and stick with it - i have been burying my wanting to get in the fashion industry for 3 years, and its gotten nothing but stronger. I just dont want to look back in 10 years with any regrets.

Valor

Reaction score
You have a job and don't have a few grand saved up? This is going to be so fail. Do not try to come to NYC without a job AND no money. Everything is expensive and trying to hustle for rent is not that easy. That said, I'm pretty sure I could make this months rent buying all 200 pairs of mabis from daffy's and reselling them...

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WoodyStylee
I started applying to fashion PR firms this week. (anyone have suggestions for good fashion-specific agencies?)

To answer your questions, yes i am a little nuts, and i take risks. But sometimes you just need to take a chance.

Having no $ is my biggest hurdle right now. I dont have anyone who will loan me some starter cash to move. I can get by on very little, but you still need at least a few grand to sign a lease. (donations anyone?
blush.gif
)

Yes i am obsessed, in the way that i have to force myself not to constantly look at fashion-related material while at work, and i could littleraly spend all day every day learning about/talking about fashion. I think i'm just at the point in my life, where i'm 26. I need to pick a career and stick with it - i have been burying my wanting to get in the fashion industry for 3 years, and its gotten nothing but stronger. I just dont want to look back in 10 years with any regrets.

You may regret not saving a few thousand dollars...it's not that much to save and it would allow you to move more easily... If you've already quit there isn't much you can do about that now. So what, you'll go to NYC and then what? Where will you live? How will you eat?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads