• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

quitting my job, my addiction

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So here it goes..
I am a student at George Washington University. I have a job as a security person who signs people in at the dorms. I make about ten bucks an hour tax free basically doing my hw and surfing sf and studying. So I really dont do much. However I never really want to go to work. Hell, I dont even need this job. I work about 20-25 hours a week. The only reason I have this job is to support my addiction of buying ridiculously expensive over-priced clothing. I buy way to much. None of my money actually goes to something that I need or am deprived of (like books college tuition, rent...im pretty much all supported by my parents) My dad gives me about three grand a semester as spending money (for going out general everyday stuff). Yet I blow all that money in the first few weeks of the semester every year, I blow my paychecks too..all of this on clothing. I never go out anymore not only because I dont have the money but I do not have the time because of my job. Its getting to the point where there are things I want to do and I cant because of my job or me not having money. I cant go out with my friends on wendsday to a basketball game..WHY? because I work. I feel trapped and feel as if quitting will be the best solution. I think it will help me be free to be in control of my life and let me do what I want to do.
I dont know, I feel like if I quit..Ill be free and not chained down to do whatever I want have fun. Some poele have to work through college and I am lucky enough not to have that..because my parents support me yet I dont take that to my advantage and abuse it. So should I quit, and maybe that will help me stop my addiction...
and yea its def an addiction, cuz if you give me a credit card which my dad has..ill spend 20k on clothing in a month

idk I want to stop but I cant..
i feel like it controlls me too much

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1. sorry, keep the job, it is good for you

2. if you don't learn to control your spending now, you will be fucked for life.

3. college isn't just about education, it is about charactor. pull yourself together.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yea i know its good for me..but it takes up too much of my time..its like i dont get to enjoy myself..i mean i cant even go out to eat with friends
i go to school durign the day and i work from 7pm to like 1 am 5-6 nights a week
and all my money just goes to clothing...and yea i know i shoudl pull it tgoether. and i shouldbt be bitching cuz theres poeple with worst problems..but its been causing problems for everything else..
i was thinking and ive been told by many just to quit my job enjoy my college life for once ..go out with friends and maybe enjoying my time with my friends and doing things will over come my tendencies to spend everything i have on expensive clothign

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) what did your father say/do when you spent $20k on his card?

2) i agree with globe that you should work but your job has bad hours. find a job that fits your schedule so you have time at night for a social life.

3) your job and your shopping are completely unrelated.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yea he was pretty pissssssed ne ways ...
umm when you s ay my job and shopping are unrelated...
idk about that to tell yu the truth..the only reason i have the job is to shop for clothing ..i mean yes, i should learn how to hold a job for a job..not for money to feed my shopping habits..
but heres what i learned over the years about myself:
every year, there are things I wnt to buy..you know stuff ive seen in new collections..so i have this mental list and it bascially controls what i do and i come up with ways to make money or get money in order to buy those things..tahtst he only reason i ever got the job..i mean im just not satisfied with my life at this stage..i just wish i wouldnt want that stuff as much so it wouldnt cause me all the trouble that I have to go through to get it
and having a job and calling it troubel doesnt soundall that great..but thats basically what ive made it for myself..because i get my pay check on friday and its gone later that day
thats how bad it is
im pre med..and because of all of this im not focused on my actual school work
also, im not having any fun in school because every week i get a call from some friend and iim not able to hang out with em cuz of my job
maybe i should quit and get something that would actually benefit me in the long run for my future plans ..
like volunteering in something health related?

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the most valuable things about college is building up a network that will help you througout your professional career. If the job is getting in the way of this, and you don't need it to pay tuition, then I say quit.

You will have to control spending though, you might want to quit SF. I mean, when there is some new thread where everyone is showing off their awesome new 5ep's or whatever, it might tempt you into having a relapse...

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yea luckily i own em in all three washes already
otherwise id be tempted to do tht before i quit
its seriously an addiction though..ive asked a bunch of places to stop sending me there look books
but every weeks its like i need something
to calm my nerves
a fix of clothing

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a good thing you're premed: once you're an intern you can proscribe yourself something that's cheaper than clothes.
thumbs-up.gif
Seriously, the way to treat addiction is not to cut off money that feeds it, or even cut off the supply.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
1. Caps

2. Paragraphs/line breaks

3. Thrift stores

4. That job sucks. (Mainly the hours.) Get a cooler one to have a little money to yourself, like working in a record store or book store or something, where you can meet some people. Or yeah, volunteer.

trogdor

Reaction score
Is there no happy medium? I mean, right now you seem to have set yourself up with a dilemma -- keep the job and sacrifice socail life, or quit the job and have no money (for luxuries etc.)

I had a similar kind of job during my time in grad. school, and the hours could be pretty flexible -- there's basically an army of students waiting to take this kind of work, so when I was feeling a bit richer, I just did fewer shifts, and when I was skint, I worked every extra hour that I could.

Is that a possibility in your case? It might give you a chance to keep the income (and work experience) flowing, but it might also give you the chance to reinvigorate your social life, and get a handle on your spending habits?

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. The job is awsome, but they kill you with the amount of hours they make you do and the time of the hours. I dont know it was good for the last year and half but now im getting sick of the hours realizing i have absolutely no social life and teh only reason I have the job is to afford luxuries.
...whats teh point of buying really expensivbe clothing when you cant even where it out right?
2.Yea I know the way to treat addiction is not to cut off the supply? But maybe this addiction is because I dont have control over other areas of my life. Beacuse of the void of my social life. IDK...
3. Yea thats my M3. Its always been my favorite car. I never asked for one either, I was to obsessed with the clothing. My mom new it was my favorite car, so they just suprised me with one.

Basically, my parents support me 100 percent for anything I actually need, and they dont really spoil me that much. I only g ot the car when I needed it. I guess getting the m3 was spoiling me but I needed a car that year to drive to school. Now since I dont need the car, they wont even let me take it to school since im living on campus. Its in the garage at home. I dont really care either I mean thats fine with me. Im givin **** loads of money to go out and have fun and everyday needs. My rents paid for. My foods paid for. Techinically I dont really need the job. My dad thinks its good to have a job but at the same time he doesnt think its good to spend all the money you make on one thing and have your job effect your actual college life

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say quit the job.

The idea that working is "good for you" and builds character is fine, but if you aren't happy with your life, then it is time to make changes.

Oh, and did you actually spend $20,000 in one month on clothes or are you saying you would?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Where's that db thread when we need it?

Holy ****, I was so thinking the same thing. This guy could get a lifetime achievement award, a "Douchey". "I'm addicted to expensive clothing, My parents are rich, I drive an M3, why is my life so tough!!!!""
frown.gif
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads