• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quiting smoking...

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's the best way you've found to do it? Prescription of Chantix, gum, patch, cold turkey (I believe this has something to do with a concept called "will power", unfamiliar with it)?

Would like any advice. Thanks.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
throw pack away, don't purchase another and quit right on the spot. nothing to it really, but year 3 is the worst.

bmac11c

Reaction score
I went to see a "Therapist". I was a longtime smoker and she helped me out big time. She told me to get a bag of sugar-free lollipops and whenever I had the urge to smoke, pop one of those in my mouth...even treat it as if it were a cigarette. The key was to alternate back and forth, 1:1. Eventually, the ratio will be on the side of the lollipops. Cheating is ok too. I was able to quit in about three weeks. That was almost two years ago.

I started running, watched what I ate and lost about 50 pounds. Almost back down to my Army weight!

Don't know if this will help you, but it certainly helped me out in more ways than one!

Bmac

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks. I like the lollipop idea, I should sublimate with tacos or something.

bmac11c

Reaction score
LOL...be careful with the tacos bro! Next thing you know, you'll have an eating problem :D

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LOL...be careful with the tacos bro! Next thing you know, you'll have an eating problem :D

Apparently that happens to a lot of people who quit smoking because they are used to having something in their mouths. Try giving a ******* each time you want a ***?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

whochrisliu

Reaction score
I am not chronically addicted to cigarettes and I only smoke 1-2 cigars a week. But my co worker goes through a pack a day, he said that he slowly reduced the amount he smoked every week. Took a while but he only smokes 2 cig's a day now.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I quit about 10 years ago after having been a 2 1/4 pack a day smoker. I ended up quitting cold turkey because at the time I quit, I couldn't afford the patches. The best advice I can think of is to keep in mind that quitting smoking means changing a thousand different habits. There's smoking after dinner and smoking at the bar and smoking when you wake up and smoking after sex, etc. Those are all habits that are woven into your daily routine, and you need to break each of those habits. Quitting smoking after dinner isn't the same as quitting smoking at the bar. (I quit in winter. When spring came, I realized that I hadn't not smoked in spring for a long time. The smell of spring air made me want to smoke.) If you don't keep that fact in mind, there's a good chance you'll get blindsided by a craving. Make sure you've got replacement habits for all the habits that currently involve cigarettes.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's really great advice, thanks. I hadn't considered that. After dinner, after sex, and in the car....especially in the car.....

thatguymj

Reaction score

That's really great advice, thanks. I hadn't considered that. After dinner, after sex, and in the car....especially in the car.....

The whole changing your habits was way harder for me than actually not smoking anymore.

I used one of those electronic cigs for the first week or so and went cold turkey after that. Exercising a lot around the time you quit makes it a bit easier, ime.

Good luck and hope you can eventually look back and ask yourself "WTF was I doing smoking all that time???!!" I know I did.

paulbnyc

Reaction score
Chantix helped me tremendously, and the side effect of extremely vivid dreams was very very entertaining.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best advice I ever got was to wake up and tell yourself "if I can just get through this one day without smoking I'll buy myself a pack tomorrow".

Then, try and focus on the positive such as 1) my clothes smell better 2) I smell better 3) I am more healthy 4) I have more money

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you try and quit and fail...just try again. It often takes people more than one attempt. Give yourself a break and good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics