• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quintessential Knit Ties: Comprehensive Discussion & Appreciation

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear @DavidLane Hi,

Thank you for your contribution, I welcome comments even of this nature.

You may refer to my post #14, especially the final phrase. Even post #16 to get an idea. I would suggest you to read the other posts as well. No selling here; not even preparing a future clientele! Only an objective presentation - as detailed as can be - of knit ties along with a critique wherever this is possible from an amateur in the clothing sector.

I fully understand that some fellow members are somehow affiliated to vendors, but this is NOT the case here! Sorry if I disappoint you. This independence allows me - and I have an open invitation to all fellow SFers - to discuss on knit ties. I think I had my piece on an horizontal bought by NMWA, and lately on the VM Tone-To-Tone as an overall line.

FYI, my knit ties are all Sozzi, bought by Sozzi directly, Henry Carter, NMWA in this time order.

I hope that by reading this, and by re-visiting the Thread you will re-consider.

Cheers

Dimitris
I read this thread when I was tired. I didn't mind either way, I just was confused by how the writing was phrased and wanted some clarification as to the direction this was headed.

On the topic, I have multiple knits, mostly navy and shades of green. I will shoot some images soon. I actually think the XL from Land's End of all places are really well made ties.

I do have one multi color knit via KW, and when I first got it I wore it all the time. Now for some reason I find it really hard to wear. The brown/blue mix contrast within the tie doesn't work that well with tweeds which is one of my favorite times to wear one. Its nice with a chambray shirt, but seems to clash with my other jackets.

If anyone has a similar tie, I wouldn't mind seeing a few combinations.

DL-

MrTRC

Reaction score
I'd be very happy with 2,3,4,5,8,10, Mr.TRC

---

The tie in my first picture is orange cashmere from Sozzi via NMWA

No love for the grey no 9 ( Actually grey with purple dots), @Claghorn ?

I echo @GusW 's point that subtle mix-cloured/ bi-color/ tricoloured knits etc are lovely and that solids are the way to go for most. As i find knits are often a statement on their own.

I have an unusual but stunning brown silk crunchy with a subtle waffle-esque weave by Dior of all places, which i obtained from my grandfather-in-law, he told me it was bought in the early 60s which i should take a pic of sometime. I seldom wear it as it has the Dior logo embroidered on the silk a few inches from the bottom so i am very conscious when i wear it and have it worn under a cardigan or other layer before i don my jacket.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Dear @radicaldog

Welcome to this Thread. I remember your post in the exquisite "Neckties: A Discussion Thread" that @Claghorn has started last year. We all also remember that you posted a picture - which BTW is now found in my image data base - and I would appreciate if you could re-post it here. Of course, if you have any updated pictures like the previous one, or in the wild shots, they are very welcome.

Finally, I would be much obliged if all gentlemen share provenance and make-up details of their knit ties.

Waiting for your future posts & enjoy this thread as well!

Cheers

Dimitris

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score

Here is one of my favorite knit ties in a heather brown and blue color that is very versatile. It has a nice, silky feel. I think the subtle heather makes the tie more visually interesting and since I'm often wearing some navy or tan/brown it coordinates nicely.

Another one of my favorite ties which also happens to be a silky knit is this purple with white. It really coordinates nicely with a white shirt and navy jacket.

When in doubt be safe and wear a solid but when you are confident with colors a subtle mix offers much more. Both ties are by Luciano Barbera from the olive colored label era.

Hi,

Thank you very much for posting and welcome to this Thread.

I would say that your ties are awesome! I could definitely buy / wear both ties. Can you please inform us:
a) where did you buy them from; on-line vendor or brick-and-mortar shop?
b) which is precisely the width of each tie?

Enjoy them in good health!

Dimitris

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Dear Gentlemen Hi,

Dear @MrTRC, we do have our moments..."knit tie anorak"...nice, what does this mean? I hope it's not a curse or something!

I have no recollection of Viola's or other vendors' offerings as my memory is thin; I just keep a recent image file of various make-ups. I always try to be precise in basic parameters, that is why I keep on asking all gentlemen to furnish this information.

I was observing your Sozzi-made Shibumi zigzags which are very nice. I didn't know that they previously kept both brand tags, as the current images in their site suggest Shibumi-only brand tag. Perhaps this is of lesser importance for a lot of gentlemen, but I would prefer to have the provenance of the original maker in my ties irrespective of vendor (exactly what Greg does)

You just answered a part of a question that I was about to ask you: are Sozzi solids, plain or with dots? Now we all know that the Grey is with purple dots (until recently offered by SkoAB), but what about the Forest Green and the Burgundy? Could you please post photos?

Dear @Claghorn we share the same preference for MrTRC's knits, they are so nice! I had been thinking about the Grey with purple dots as well (along with a Forest Green with yellow dots) from SkoAB, but I was not certain as to their width!

Finally, since your photo does not reveal the edge of your Sozzi rust tie that you bought from NMWA, could you please inform us as to its edge and its width? I can only hope that Greg will be offering the cashmere-wool make-up for the following Fall / Winter season!

Best

Dimitris

turkoftheplains

Reaction score
Crunchy, square (but no strong objection to pointed), 7-8 cm (7.5 would be ideal), always silk, always solid. I would bend the solids rule for bicolored, maybe for the right dots, but I really don't like horizontal stripes (or any other patterned knit for that matter.) The combination of simplicity and textural interest is what makes knits so great in the first place place.

That said, it's true that I just generally hate horizontal stripes on CM clothing.

Last edited:

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was observing your Sozzi-made Shibumi zigzags which are very nice. I didn't know that they previously kept both brand tags, as the current images in their site suggest Shibumi-only brand tag. Perhaps this is of lesser importance for a lot of gentlemen, but I would prefer to have the provenance of the original maker in my ties irrespective of vendor (exactly what Greg does)

Best

Dimitris

I dare say they have done the same as myself and found the manufacturer of them and gone direct to bypass sozzi, which in that case would not have a sozzi label. Just speculating of course.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score

I read this thread when I was tired. I didn't mind either way, I just was confused by how the writing was phrased and wanted some clarification as to the direction this was headed. 

On the topic, I have multiple knits, mostly navy and shades of green. I will shoot some images soon. I actually think the XL from Land's End of all places are really well made ties.

I do have one multi color knit via KW, and when I first got it I wore it all the time. Now for some reason I find it really hard to wear. The brown/blue mix contrast within the tie doesn't work that well with tweeds which is one of my favorite times to wear one. Its nice with a chambray shirt, but seems to clash with my other jackets.

If anyone has a similar tie, I wouldn't mind seeing a few combinations.

DL-

DL Hi,

It's OK. I would be happy to see the pictures of your knit ties at your own pace.

If I had the KW multi-color knit in brown/blue mix I would wear it with a navy blazer and beige trousers as a central theme and then I could elaborate on it. As far as the shirt is concerned, you are right a chambray is a good idea, a pale sky blue being another one. Perhaps fellow SFers who have sported this tie may offer other alternatives as well.

Cheers

Dimitris

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score

I dare say they have done the same as myself and found the manufacturer of them and gone direct to bypass sozzi, which in that case would not have a sozzi label. Just speculating of course.

Jason Hi,

Since you are speaking out of experience, your argument should be valid, right? My question though is whether they do the same thing with the other lines. I think that silk solids are their "basic" line, so do we know what happens there? Or even in the cashmere/wool one?

You know that I always value your opinion!

Take care

Dimitris

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score

Crunchy, square (but no strong objection to pointed), 7-8 cm (7.5 would be ideal), always silk, always solid. I would bend the solids rule for bicolored, maybe for the right dots, but I really don't like horizontal stripes (or any other patterned knit for that matter.) The combination of simplicity and textural interest is what makes knits so great in the first place place.

That said, it's true that I just generally hate horizontal stripes on CM clothing.

Dear @turkoftheplains Hi,

Welcome to this Thread, I hope you will enjoy it!

I think it is crystal-clear: you hate horizontal-stripe knit ties! The mere fact that some gentlemen - like myself - are pretty fond of this type of make-up does not affect your position; we are not here to change ideas, but to exchange ones!

I am reading with interest your preferred width - 7-8cm - and would appreciate if while posting pictures you could share pertinent information as well. I believe that everybody would like to see pictures of your collection should you find time of course.

Waiting for your next post.

Best

Dimitris

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dear Gentlemen,

In order to encourage your precious contribution, I would like to cite an indicative, non-exhaustive list of themes that this thread may tackle on knit ties:
- square-end vs. pointed-end preferences
- width: what is your optimum?
- spring/summer vs. fall/winter materials
- hand: soft vs. "crunchy" (cri de la soie)
- provenance: a critique on makers and retailers

Dimitris

Square end
7.5 - 8 cm
all silk
both
I have had knit ties from many places and my preferred ones are by Nick Bronson for Liberty of London. I also find Michelsons a source of good value knit ties. Nearly all my knits are solid but I have a blue with red horizontal stripe and a blue/red mixed knot.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I especially enjoy seasonal ties. One of my all-time favorite Fall/WInter knit ties is this charcoal pure cashmere knit from Luciano Barbera. You would never think of wearing it unless there was a chill in the air. Charcoal blends nicely with just about any F/W colored jackets. It has a subtle, elegant style.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another seasonal favorite when Spring arrives is this bubble gum pink and white silk knit from Borrelli. Of course I don't wear it often, but for the right party or dinner with friends it livens up a plain navy blazer or khaki suit, solid white or blue shirt and white pocket square.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score

Square end
7.5 - 8 cm
all silk
both
I have had knit ties from many places and my preferred ones are by Nick Bronson for Liberty of London. I also find Michelsons a source of good value knit ties. Nearly all my knits are solid but I have a blue with red horizontal stripe and a blue/red mixed knot.

Hi,

Thank you for posting here and welcome to this Thread.

Do you mind me asking if ties from the above vendors are 7.5 - 8.0 cm sharp? As you may have already read, my personal preference is an absolute 7.0cm and I would be more than willing to find out new sources that I could purchase knit ties in this width, especially in London which is a frequent professional destination for me or my wife.

Although we all enjoy pictures and I am really waiting for any of your future postings, I am intrigued by the two latter ones; could you please post firstly pictures of these, along with pertinent information? Not to repeat myself, but I would appreciate if you could include information such as maker, retailer, dimensions for each tie. I don't ask for material, because you just cited that all your ties are silk!

Cheers

Dimitris

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi,

Thank you for posting here and welcome to this Thread.

Do you mind me asking if ties from the above vendors are 7.5 - 8.0 cm sharp? As you may have already read, my personal preference is an absolute 7.0cm and I would be more than willing to find out new sources that I could purchase knit ties in this width, especially in London which is a frequent professional destination for me or my wife.

Although we all enjoy pictures and I am really waiting for any of your future postings, I am intrigued by the two latter ones; could you please post firstly pictures of these, along with pertinent information? Not to repeat myself, but I would appreciate if you could include information such as maker, retailer, dimensions for each tie. I don't ask for material, because you just cited that all your ties are silk!

Cheers

Dimitris

You will find the current Nick Bronson ties at Liberty are 7 cm so good for you.

Michelson are direct suppliers but half the price and they do a wide variety of widths and patterns.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads