• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Zaos1

Reaction score
That’s strange to be honest! Why would there be salt when it rains? I bought my brecon’s to use them in the rain!
Somewhere on internet I learned rain is a risk for the leather and for the leather soles :p

The leather sole issues I am pretty sure I learned from The Kirby Allison channel :bigstar:

Perfectcircles

Reaction score
Well, I learned the rain have 2 risk... one is the formation of white stains due the salt in the rain water (as the rain water comes from water of the oceans).

And the other risk is for the leather soles, exposing leather soles to wet floor are going to cause the leather sole absorb the water like a sponge... making it soft with the time and accelerating his degradation ?

As far as the sole is concerned, the Islay has dainite and part of the reason why it was chosen for the rain.

As far as salt in the rain; if there is any, it is not from the source (ocean). Most likely, rain water will dissolve pollutants in the air if there are any concerns about "salts".

Houta

Reaction score
Somewhere on internet I learned rain is a risk for the leather and for the leather soles :p

The leather sole issues I am pretty sure I learned from The Kirby Allison channel :bigstar:
The internet :) cool man - brecon’s are storm welt so whatever that means I expect it to withstand the rain :)

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great looking style, sadly the most uncomfortable ever!!!! My feet are screaming every time I'm about to put them into rotation .. Few days ago my feet felt so tired after just 100 meters of walking in them. They are tight, narrow and short with a lot of heel slip. Surprisingly unbalanced last that looks good.
Did you try going up half a size? Debating between these and some Churches

Zaos1

Reaction score
The internet :) cool man - brecon’s are storm welt so whatever that means I expect it to withstand the rain :)

yeah thats what i have seen at the C&J webpage ....well, in my particular case i own a pair of "Clifford" and a pair of "Edgware" both are dress shoes with leather soles.

the weather does´t make anything to the C&J boots... but what about the dress shoes... do you think is the same?, i can use them even on those rainy days without any concerns :tinfoil:

andiandi

Reaction score
New Grasmeres for salty Winter days!:)
83ADEA6E-38C5-40ED-9321-3210B4D48036.jpeg
7FD022A9-3883-48A8-A6A6-31783E847B7B.jpeg

R.Elgar

Reaction score
Hello gents,

I’m new here. I have always had an interest in classic menswear, and after buying my copy of Gentleman by Bernhard Roetzel I was convinced to buy my own pair of C&J Pembrokes. Reading this thread on Styleforum really helped me a lot in what to choose. As you can see in the picture I went for the brown Scotch Grain and I’m not regretting it! It’s a wonderful pair of shoes and the fit is amazing. Thanks for all your help in posting your experiences with C&J in this forum! Looking forward to discuss all the great aspects of classic men’s style with you.

Greeting from The Netherlands,

R.Elgar
CDA42CD6-94F7-442D-8EF3-179A837355DC.jpeg

Last edited:

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you try going up half a size? Debating between these and some Churches

I didn't since all my CJ shoes are in UK 9 E, as is the Chiltern I bought. I am sure it would be even worse if I wen't with the half size bigger shoe, since there's already quite a bit of a heel slip in my regular size. It's the last that strangely made, at least for my feet. I heard others had the same fitting issue, as well as folks that are fine wearing them.

I also have a pair of Church's Ryder chukka boot, which is my best fitting shoe in a whole collection. So If you are debating between those and Chiltern, especially in Dark Brown suede, I would say GO WITH THE CHURCH'S on this one. Unmatched comfort.

Houta

Reaction score
yeah thats what i have seen at the C&J webpage ....well, in my particular case i own a pair of "Clifford" and a pair of "Edgware" both are dress shoes with leather soles.

the weather does´t make anything to the C&J boots... but what about the dress shoes... do you think is the same?, i can use them even on those rainy days without any concerns :tinfoil:
I wouldn’t use leather sole shoes in the rain to be honest. By use I mean walk more than 10 minutes outside.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Time for the Grasmeres. BTW, I have sadly come to the comclusion that these do not fit well and I will be listing them soon. PM if an 11G on the 317 last appeals to you. They were new and then I paid CJ to resole them into double oak leather. So that did not work out.

F9B1DD1F-8042-4A6F-957F-A0764F275193.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads