• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RL Black Calfskin Lindricks today.

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sizing question: I have the opportunity to buy a pair of unused Chilterns in size UK 8.5 at a very good price. I usually wear UK 8 (e.g in Cavendish and Coniston). I don't have the possibility right now to drop by a store and try on a pair of UK 8.5 to check the size out. What would you guys say?
According to C&J the 224 is more voluminous in the toe box than 325 ie: Coniston. I would think they’d feel too large. You could put an insert in them but they might feel too large to you.

Supertramp

Reaction score
Hello!
Just wondering what people’s thoughts are. I have a pair of C&J Lingfields. I got them around two years ago and wear them roughly twice per week.
I’ve worn through the sole in the same spot on both shoes, probably around where my big toe is. Just wondering if I could use anything to correct this (insole) or if this is about the expected wear after that amount of time.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 70FB0318-84CB-4E5A-BBB3-566188FCD840.jpeg
    70FB0318-84CB-4E5A-BBB3-566188FCD840.jpeg
    349.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 8328145F-2822-49DB-9978-03BEDBB42E86.jpeg
    8328145F-2822-49DB-9978-03BEDBB42E86.jpeg
    367.2 KB · Views: 108

florent

Reaction score
Sole wearing is very dependant on the distances you're walking, the way you're walking, your weight, the weather, etc. but roughly 200 days of wearing seems reasonnable for a resole. I don't see how an insole could make things better but you can put a rubber protection on the next soles to improve longevity if you wish so.

Jasonindenver

Reaction score
Sole wearing is very dependant on the distances you're walking, the way you're walking, your weight, the weather, etc. but roughly 200 days of wearing seems reasonnable for a resole. I don't see how an insole could make things better but you can put a rubber protection on the next soles to improve longevity if you wish so.

Are you wearing them in weather?

I wear much harder on my outside heel edges. Go through them quite fast. My wife is just the opposite and wears through her soles like you do.

See if you can get a city rubber sole put on. Otherwise, a Topy sole protector may buy you a few more months.

adhevise

Reaction score
No response from Crockett Jones regarding my issue.

I ordered a new pair, and still think that the leather is very light under the black coating, see attached pictures. On the inside of the edge it is visible that the black is just painted on the surface.

Anyone else have black shoes that could confirm this? Around raw borders or under the tongue, for example. Other black shoes I've had have been dyed throughout, and I'm a bit worried how these would age if I kept them. Also, if black cream or wax would paint them back to black?

View attachment 1270524 View attachment 1270525

The answer from CJ:
"If you scuff a leather deep enough then it will be a light colour underneath, as all the skins start out a very light beige colour. The skins will not be black all the way through, as this is not how they start out."

So this appears to be normal. I guess my idea of aniline dyed, that the leather was coloured throughout, was wrong then.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
* as a bonus. *
******* autocorrect. I hate it.

love the Patek. Calatrava?

Connaught II looking good too. I have the original Connaught which I really like although I think the new colour is probably better.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
love the Patek. Calatrava?

Connaught II looking good too. I have the original Connaught which I really like although I think the new colour is probably better.

Thank you. Yes - it’s a 5296R Calatrava. The new 379 last is a GIFT to humanity.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads