• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Berto1

Reaction score

Attachments

• 01EB1694-4B29-430C-8A0E-23401E322BCF.jpeg
    01EB1694-4B29-430C-8A0E-23401E322BCF.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 80

thomas199023

Reaction score
Great shoes! Which last? Seems they are not available in their current lineup.

No clue actually, thrifted these about a year ago, fit amazingly well. I did a google at the time and think these are from their hand grade line. They were hardly worn, probably less than 10 times.

How do you tell which last?
image.jpg

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else has experienced this; you try on some shoes in the store and you love them. You buy them, take them home, but no matter how hard you try, you just can't seem to get them into your daily/ weekly/ monthly rotation. So instead, they just sit in the box for weeks/ months years looking sad.

I loved the feel of these Connaught oxfords on my feet, but the chestnut colour couldn't rise to the occasion for any of the events I went to which required formal wear. I attempted to replace them with the Westfield, but the last didn't suit my feet at all.

'Why didn't he simply go and buy the Connaught in dark brown?' I hear you ask... well in answer to your question, these slightly older versions feel a little more robust, with thicker leather (but of course this is in my subjective opinion). Plus I try to save money where I can.

I had a wedding a few weeks ago and really wanted to wear brown shoes instead of black. I ended up having to wear my black oxfords. As delightful as they are, this was the final straw.

So, I finally plucked up the courage to strip the finish off my chestnut Connaught's and dye them dark brown.

It has taken over two weeks. Involved lots of patience and has definitely been a labour of love..... here are the results...
Much better. You did the right thing.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of Coniston on double leather soles availability.. thanks enjoy the games..

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you kind sir.

I used Saphir RENOMAT to strip the original finish. Then allowed the shoes to dry for around 4 days.

I then used SAPHIR TEINTURE FRANCAISE DYE. It took 4 coats across 3 days (between drying time) to get the right consistency in the colour (I ended up needing 2 50ml bottles).

After dying the shoes and allowing them to dry, I found that the leather had become icredibly dry. So I moisturised it with SAPHIR MEDAILLE D'OR RENOVATOR CREAM. I allowed the first coat to dry for 2 days.

Then I used SAPHIR MEDAILLE D'OR POMMADIER CREAM POLISH to build up the colour again.

Than another layer of Renovator cream. Followed by some SAPHIR MEDAILLE D'OR DUBBIN GREASE across the vamp and other areas prone to creasing when I wear the shoes.

After 5 days of drying, I added another layer of cream polish.

And finally ended with two coats of SAPHIR MEDAILLE D'OR PATE-DE-LUXE WAX POLISH

I have always found it incredibly calming to clean and polish my shoes. But I'll be honest, this became an absolute CHORE when the novelty wore off after the first few days, and when I had to start from scratch with the tongue on each shoe. But it was worth it, especially considering I was quoted £129 by a company in London to do the job.

BTW, the Saphir stuff I used smells amazing!
I imagine all the materials set you back a few quid. From what you are telling us, it seems you spent a lot of hours labouring on these, involving quite a bit of stress. I have no idea how much you value your time and how much you demand for your working hour, but even if you only require a British living wage per hour, it could possibly have worked out better paying the £129. From another point of view it’s a valuable life experience. It will give you a better idea of what to do going forward. If you would do anything differently, please don’t be afraid to share your wisdom. ?

RKILLY67

Reaction score
I imagine all the materials set you back a few quid. From what you are telling us, it seems you spent a lot of hours labouring on these, involving quite a bit of stress. I have no idea how much you value your time and how much you demand for your working hour, but even if you only require a British living wage per hour, it could possibly have worked out better paying the £129. From another point of view it’s a valuable life experience. It will give you a better idea of what to do going forward. If you would do anything differently, please don’t be afraid to share your wisdom. ?
Perhaps but like all us shoe nuts it was probably more like a labour of love, never in my younger days did I imagine polishing shoes or changing colour tones would become an enjoyable past time!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads