• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Avoid the 224 unless you have tried it on before and you are certain the fit is OK. I am a solid UK 9 throughout the CJ last range but the 224 is a total mess. Quite a bit of a heel slip, tight in the middle, narrow in the front. That last is murdering my feet, even though they look cool.
I gambled on a size 8 Chiltern and they have worked well so far. However, trying on a size 8 Ryder at a nearby Church’s Outlet store, the superior fit and comfort was immediate.

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I told myself I was done buying new shoes and boots for awhile as I recently took delivery of a pair of Chiltern in Jaguar suede, a pair of Hartland 2 in shark suede and a pair of Derwent 2 in waxed black calf. I don’t usually buy more than 2-3 pair a year.......but then I saw a pair of C&J Atherstone Balmorals in burnished black, they only had one pair and what do you know they were in my size. Since these are a hand grade model that retails for $860 and in the end I was able to snag them for $232.20 , I just couldn’t resist at 73% off. They should be here Saturday, and since they are my first pair of hand grade I am anxious to get them laced up.
We have sensible intentions but are weak, weak, weak.

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol...that remark resembles my foots experience with the 228 last.
Odd. My Snowdon and (especially) my Radnor are super comfortable. (The Snowdon’s would be more comfortable if half a size smaller. Oh well. We shall endure.)

Terrence O'Connor

Reaction score
D8D15D64-2D65-41FC-948A-0F5C096F128F.jpeg
From Barneys, NY when they moved to Madison Ave in 1993, still going strong after several resolings

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Odd. My Snowdon and (especially) my Radnor are super comfortable. (The Snowdon’s would be more comfortable if half a size smaller. Oh well. We shall endure.)

More demonstrative of how different each persons foot is really, than odd.

My wideish foot just does not like the very narrow toe section of the last. But boot stretcher to the rescue and, though the boots profile is a little different, now they are quite comfortable.

Caractacus

Reaction score
Would you all mind giving me your opinions on what size I'd need in Crockett & Jones Islays (365 last)?

Brannock: 11.5D
Alden Truebalance: 11B/D US
Allen Edmonds 65: 11.5D US
Peal & Co. Coniston 240: 11.5D US
Tricker's Stow 4497S: 10.5 Fitting 5 UK
White's MP Service Boot: 10.5D US
White's Bounty Hunter: 10.5D US

I ordered a 10.5E UK, but I'm wondering if I should change the order to a 10E UK before they ship. From what I've read in sizing threads, there doesn't seem to be a consensus on the 365 last. Some go down a whole size from their US Brannock size; others have gone down 1.5 sizes.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you all mind giving me your opinions on what size I'd need in Crockett & Jones Islays (365 last)?

I ordered a 10.5E UK, but I'm wondering if I should change the order to a 10E UK before they ship. From what I've read in sizing threads, there doesn't seem to be a consensus on the 365 last. Some go down a whole size from their US Brannock size; others have gone down 1.5 sizes.

Well of course you’ve got to keep in mind every ones foot is totally different. So, internet sizing advice is dicey at best; that said, I go a full size down on this last. For me, typically 9E Barrie, 9.5 every thing else; C&J 8.5UK, the Islay fits my foot like a dream. Best fitting C&J last, for my foot that is.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I'd go same size as 4497.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads