• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

tkliebert

Reaction score

The sizes on Barney's are US. For the 335 last, I had to go 1.5 sizes down from my US size to the UK size..

I am a 9.5D on the brannock, wear the 8E UK on the 335. This sould translate to 9D on Barney's.. YMMV
Thanks for confirming that for me.

Bleedblue

Reaction score
Quick impressions of the Barneys Chelsea 5 in Walnut hurricane. Absolutely awesome pair of boots. The walnut is a versatile shade that looks good across blues and browns... it's definitely not quite as sharp as polished calf but still a good look.

Wearing an 8E PA, 8D Van, I tried the 7.5 and the 8. 8 was very comfortable for my wider than average foot and high instep; conversely those with a narrow or low volume foot are probably going to want to drop another half size. 7.5 was still fine lengthwise but my outside toes were hitting the edge of the shoe.

Still surprised Barneys didn't sell out immediately. The welt might have something to do with it. Definitely not for everyone. Tried to showcase it below, forgive the amateur photography.

425a41c603dee4cdc797a3f67291f0ab.jpg
584ee3ea0fcaadac15a94bee286db20e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dr1248

Reaction score
Which Crockett and Jones store should I use in the UK, if my items are being shipped to San Francisco. Also how long did it take?

Thanks

Skelnik

Reaction score
Which Crockett and Jones store should I use in the UK, if my items are being shipped to San Francisco. Also how long did it take?

Thanks

You wouldn't order directly from a store, but rather through their mail order department at [email protected]. They should reply to your email within a day. It may take another day or two to pay for and have the item shipped, but once it ships you should receive it in 2-3 days.

dr1248

Reaction score
You wouldn't order directly from a store, but rather through their mail order department at [email protected]. They should reply to your email within a day. It may take another day or two to pay for and have the item shipped, but once it ships you should receive it in 2-3 days.

Thank you.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks

You wouldn't order directly from a store, but rather through their mail order department at [email protected].  They should reply to your email within a day.  It may take another day or two to pay for and have the item shipped, but once it ships you should receive it in 2-3 days.
I'm pretty sure other people have ordered directly from the stores in the past. The Burlington Arcade store is pretty small, but there is one nearby that may have better stock. I would try that one first if one was to order directly from a store.

Last edited:

mraza

Reaction score

Yes, I have the Cardigan 4 in dark brown shell cordovan.  I love these shoes.  I can't speak for anyone else, but these are very comfortable and very versatile as well.  I love the Dainite sole.  They are very dark brown which I like very much.  I can't say if it is luck of the draw or that particular batch of shell or just the norm.  The build quality is impeccable.  In my experience I find all of my C&J's are equal or slightly better build quality than my Alden's, but better QA.  Certainly a full step above my Allen Edmonds.  Compared to the 325 last in the same size these are slightly longer.  I size down 1 full size from my US size.  Let me know if you would like any further information.

One last question , does it run true to size ?
I wear 9us but looking for 8uk
Thank you

Last edited:

Skelnik

Reaction score

One last question , does it run true to size ?
I wear 9us but looking for 8uk
Thank you

8UK sounds like the correct size for you then. I also wear a size 9D US (8.5D US in Alden Barrie) and a size 8E UK in C&J 325, 335, 341 and 365 lasts.

The Marlows are had to come by anymore. RL hasn't had a size 8.5 or 9 for months now. Sometimes I wonder if they have stopped stocking the Marlow wingtip altogether and will just sell the remaining pairs before discontinuing it officially like they did with the Lindrick. If you are looking for brown shell wingtip derby shoes your best bet is probably the Cardigan 4s.

Bleedblue

Reaction score
If you are looking for brown shell wingtip derby shoes your best bet is probably the Cardigan 4s.

Au contraire! Brooks Brothers (via "Peal & Co") carries a carbon copy of the Marlow, although built on the 240 last. Their stock is doing a bit better than RL's; and they're subject to some of the usual BB discounts. I think I took my pair home for $450 all said and done.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Au contraire! Brooks Brothers (via "Peal & Co") carries a carbon copy of the Marlow, although built on the 240 last. Their stock is doing a bit better than RL's; and they're subject to some of the usual BB discounts. I think I took my pair home for $450 all said and done.

Too bad they jacked up the retail price from $700 (IIRC) to $1000 pretty quickly.

mraza

Reaction score

8UK sounds like the correct size for you then. I also wear a size 9D US (8.5D US in Alden Barrie) and a size 8E UK in C&J 325, 335, 341 and 365 lasts.

The Marlows are had to come by anymore. RL hasn't had a size 8.5 or 9 for months now. Sometimes I wonder if they have stopped stocking the Marlow wingtip altogether and will just sell the remaining pairs before discontinuing it officially like they did with the Lindrick. If you are looking for brown shell wingtip derby shoes your best bet is probably the Cardigan 4s.

Perfect , you and I are same size. I also wear 8.5 in Barrie . I reached out to CC mail order awaiting response on cardigan4.

Last edited:

mraza

Reaction score

Agreed. Looks identical
I noticed they are $1000 compare to cardigan 4 $630

Skelnik

Reaction score

Very good point. That's a very nice shoe and is currently stocked better than RL. Not quite a carbon copy, but definitely similar in most respects. It is a flat welt instead of storm welt and is slightly longer and narrower than the Marlow. Unfortunately $750 is about the best you could do in a sale these days but that's only about $100 more than a good price on the Cardigan 4.

Carmina makes a long wing derby in cognac shell which is kinda brown-ish for $750. They may be offering a brown shell MacNeil at the upcoming AE trunk show as well. Certainly the Peal Co brogue is the most similar though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads