• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Marmite89

Reaction score

Chestnut Skye III for me this afternoon:
20D387D7-5A34-414B-A12F-36F4EBB2B556.jpeg

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whiskey shell Dundees today (with the excellently constructed but overly long C&J tan laces)…

View attachment 1927199

The maker of other boots I own (Quoddy) told me most bootmakers default to using longer laces to provide the wearer more lacing options.

Some of the reasons I can remember that were mentioned... certain ankles are thinner than others, so they add the additional length so the boot shaft can be secured more effectively.

Other guys don't use all their speed hooks or eyelets giving the option of wrapping the laces around the ankle, as an alternative.

Some guys like huge knots which makes them more fashionable.

There's the possibility of breakage due to the constant force being exerted when pulling, tying, and then securing the foot. When the laces break, there is additional lacing material to get you to your final destination.

I didn't question it further as that seemed reasonable enough to me. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

Gustaf

Reaction score
Received some sad news from C&J yesterday:

69 Jermyn Street will close permanently on April 1. Apparently, the landlord has requested the premises back so this was not C&J’s decision.

They anticipate opening another store in the same vicinity in the near future.

Style989

Reaction score

69 Jermyn Street will close permanently on April 1. Apparently, the landlord has requested the premises back so this was not C&J’s decision.

Wow, that's crazy.

Marmite89

Reaction score
Wow, that's crazy.

Depends on the point of view, of course. C&J have two shops on the same road, both within 250m of each other. Some might say that is more crazy. I like this one, which is the smaller of the two (non-Flagship), it is where I first discovered the brand and purchased my first "proper" pair of shoes. But, as I understand things, this store was always leased/borrowed from another brand. You can spot that in the e-mail address. I guess it is just business that that brand or the ultimate landlord wants to do something different in what is a pretty prime spot in London. It might even suit C&J to rationalise the Bricks & Mortar store space on Jermyn St.

It is a shame, sure, no doubt about that, but it could be that C&J have ambition to do something bigger and better.

Style989

Reaction score
Depends on the point of view, of course. C&J have two shops on the same road, both within 250m of each other. Some might say that is more crazy. I like this one, which is the smaller of the two (non-Flagship), it is where I first discovered the brand and purchased my first "proper" pair of shoes. But, as I understand things, this store was always leased/borrowed from another brand. You can spot that in the e-mail address. I guess it is just business that that brand or the ultimate landlord wants to do something different in what is a pretty prime spot in London. It might even suit C&J to rationalise the Bricks & Mortar store space on Jermyn St.

It is a shame, sure, no doubt about that, but it could be that C&J have ambition to do something bigger and better.
And Burlington arcade is less than a mile away so I get how having three shops in that close proximity isn't maximising their exposure.

I personally preferred the flagship. It just feels a lot more spacious and less cramped

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if C&J’s waxed suede/roughout suede is Waxy Commander? I’m curious to know what tannage exactly it is.

I’ve tried searching online and no answer is to be found

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is that the one w/ Ms Alex Vigouroux? Very nice lady.

eddyroxx

Reaction score
Would this warrant an exchange for you guys?
Molton's in rough out suede, I know they're going to get beat up but it's really bugging me.
CJM.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads