• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was just up in NYC and grabbed a pair of Connaught in dark brown. Already have them in black. Also tried on Chelsea 8. Nice chestnut color but I think I'll get the Lingfield in brown. Have those in black as will and wear them with tailoring.

Has anyone tried these? Tempting but seriously pricey. I forgot to ask if they were in the store.

Style989

Reaction score
Danite is clearly attracting a lot of criticism on this thread. Yes, it’s not brilliant in snow but it’s an excellent, hard wearing, natural rubber sole that’s ideal for dry and wet weather/ every day wear. The Ridgeway sole that the Harboro Rubber Company also make is their ideal sole for wintry conditions or for walking shoes/boots.
I can't knock it as a city sole. It's great for walking on pavements even in the wet. I don't think it belongs on country boots. I have rough out Coniston with dainite and I have to walk very gingerly whenever there's mud around. The only benefit I can see is the sleeker profile but I'd rather opt for traction. I'm thinking of resoling the Conistons to vibram cleated or commando to get some more traction and if possible I'd opt to have them relasted to 365

Gustaf

Reaction score
All this talk of Islays made me realise I needed a brown scotch grain so I went out and bought a pair.

Question on the shoe polish, what colour cream and polish would you guys recommend ? I know CJ says dark brown but it didn't much like how it came out on Alex but maybe will work better on Islay. I have Saphir on dark brown, Havana or Parisian brown. if memory serves Parisian is only the cream as they don't make polish in that colour

One more vote for the Havana. Medium brown works too.

Parisian brown is darker and a little colder, between Havana and dark brown, but closer to the latter.

There is no Parisian brown polish but if you want them that dark you could use dark brown polish.

A good guide to Saphir colours:

Last edited:

shoefan57

Reaction score
I can't knock it as a city sole. It's great for walking on pavements even in the wet. I don't think it belongs on country boots. I have rough out Coniston with dainite and I have to walk very gingerly whenever there's mud around. The only benefit I can see is the sleeker profile but I'd rather opt for traction. I'm thinking of resoling the Conistons to vibram cleated or commando to get some more traction and if possible I'd opt to have them relasted to 365
That is a fair point I wonder if C&J don’t expect us to wear Coniston and Isla’s as field boots? However with a Commando or Ridgway sole they’d work well as field boots.

shoefan57

Reaction score
Was just up in NYC and grabbed a pair of Connaught in dark brown. Already have them in black. Also tried on Chelsea 8. Nice chestnut color but I think I'll get the Lingfield in brown. Have those in black as will and wear them with tailoring.

Has anyone tried these? Tempting but seriously pricey. I forgot to ask if they were in the store.

Not tried the Hamilton. Love the Ivywood colour but wary of the last. Most very old lasts don’t fit me well. Tricker’s 4444 last being the exception.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not tried the Hamilton. Love the Ivywood colour but wary of the last. Most very old lasts don’t fit me well. Tricker’s 4444 last being the exception.
I have the Lingfield and Chelsea V and have tried on Chelsea 8 and all fit in the same size for me. I would definitely try on the Hamilton's before committing that kind of money. Think I'll likely just get another pair of Lingfield's just in brown this time. Cheaper and I know they fit.

Gustaf

Reaction score
That is a fair point I wonder if C&J don’t expect us to wear Coniston and Isla’s as field boots? However with a Commando or Ridgway sole they’d work well as field boots.

Depends on the type of field. I think they work really well on a wide range of terrain, as long as it’s relatively flat and not too muddy or slippery. The advantage being they can easily transition to sleeker, more urban use without looking out of place.

It’s still a valid question though. I do think C&J should offer a wider range of soles for their main collection boots.

Marmite89

Reaction score
That looks fantastic. Was it a 12-week turnaround? Also, if you shipped from the US how much did that cost?
The turnaround last summer was on the longer side, was probably longer than 12 weeks. Deliberately timed to do over the summer. I am less than an hours drive from the factory in Northampton so can't comment on US shipping.

Finish is impeccable. Literally better than new.

Marmite89

Reaction score
All this talk of Islays made me realise I needed a brown scotch grain so I went out and bought a pair.

Question on the shoe polish, what colour cream and polish would you guys recommend ? I know CJ says dark brown but it didn't much like how it came out on Alex but maybe will work better on Islay. I have Saphir on dark brown, Havana or Parisian brown. if memory serves Parisian is only the cream as they don't make polish in that colour

Always used the Saphir No.5 Dark Brown on mine. They've slowly taken on a lighter and more reddish tinge over the years I've owned them.

J.Vasquez

Reaction score
Question: I'm hoping someone can help clarify, I bought a 2nd hand Skye 4 boots. It is in chestnut I believe with double oak sole. Everywhere I search states the Skye 4 is in snuff, and Skye 1 is in chestnut double oak sole. But inside it says Skye 4???? Was the Skye 4 made in Chestnut double oak sole? OR could this be a special order???

IMG_8218.jpeg
IMG_8226.jpeg

shoefan57

Reaction score
Question: I'm hoping someone can help clarify, I bought a 2nd hand Skye 4 boots. It is in chestnut I believe with double oak sole. Everywhere I search states the Skye 4 is in snuff, and Skye 1 is in chestnut double oak sole. But inside it says Skye 4???? Was the Skye 4 made in Chestnut double oak sole? OR could this be a special order???

View attachment 1892281 View attachment 1892283
I’m not confident about this but I think the Skye 4 was available in both suede and Chestnut but I am confident that the last ever Skye boot they sold was made in Chestnut calf. Your boots are amazing 🤩

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics