• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Harvard's back in action!

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
New arrival from Bodiley's, Lanark 3. As always impeccable service, thank you Sarah.

In C&J they call it a derby, some Alden retailer names this model as "wholecut Blucher" which makes sense since is one piece of leather, anyway a fantastic shoe in a very comfortable last. The 378 is rounder than the 325 (Coniston and Pembroke), both suit my feet perfectly.

For comparison a couple pictures of the Lanark with Carmina Blucher in Detroit Last and Trickers Robert.

Last:378
Sole: Dainite

View attachment 1863931 View attachment 1863932 View attachment 1863933 View attachment 1863936 View attachment 1863937
Uh, love those! I tried the Coniston back in September and felt that 8UK is the best one for me. Comparing the last of the Coniston vs the Detroit... which size do you take in both lasts?

Style989

Reaction score
It just occurred to me that I'm here applauding Alden (on the CJ thread) when I should be emphasizing their essence. At least, the essence of a capable American last or aesthetic.

The Barrie last, while popular, needs refinement in order to compete with the likes of CJ or even EG. It looks bulbous and dated. The maker I referenced earlier who does such a thing, adds élégance to Alden, is Bespoke maker Seiji Mccarthy.

Here are a few pictures, I think, that are reflective of that American styling produced with a touch of panaché.

View attachment 1862694 View attachment 1862695 View attachment 1862697 View attachment 1862698 View attachment 1862699 View attachment 1862700 View attachment 1862701 View attachment 1862702

Now, this style may not appeal to everyone but this offering is HW, HL, equal leather quality (or better depending on skin usage) to EG yet cheaper than them currently, and American made. 😎
very refined. Has a touch of Yohei Fukuda to it

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh, love those! I tried the Coniston back in September and felt that 8UK is the best one for me. Comparing the last of the Coniston vs the Detroit... which size do you take in both lasts?

Hello, in both 10.5UK. The Carmina Detroit is a tad snug than the C&J, but I wouldn't size up or down in any of the brands.

I hope that helps.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
very refined. Has a touch of Yohei Fukuda to it

He trained briefly (though extensively) with him, as well as Hiro Yanagimachi, so no surprise you can see remnants of their styles in Seiji's shoes.

But yes, the level of refinement compared to Alden is stark. If you wanted an American to make you an American styled shoe that is high quality, this guy can do just that. I'd be damn interested to see if he could make an Indy haha.

Last edited:

mdjd

Reaction score
Does anyone have a pair of both 348 and 373 that can speak to the details of the fit?
I'm a US 10C with a more narrow heel, and a low volume foot. The 8.5uk Lowndes fits ok, but it's a bit loose in the heel.

348 is my absolute favorite last in terms of looks though. Does the 373 has the same heel? Closer fitting? Is the overall last similar in length and toe shape?

Thanks!

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Calling @jischwar and other Harvard 2 owners, do you size down half a size as per CJ’s recommendations, or do you take the same size as in Boston?
Just to clarify, I don't own Boston. I take Harvard 2 in my normal UK size (same as 341 and 325)

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Calling @jischwar and other Harvard 2 owners, do you size down half a size as per CJ’s recommendations, or do you take the same size as in Boston?

Similar to @jischwar, I use my normal CJ size for a good fit in the Harvard 2. Also like him, I don't own the Boston but do (or did) own the Harvard on the 314.

During the initial wears for the 314 last, I had an okay fit. I guess due to stretching within the heel area it did not fit as well with usage. With the Harvard 2, I've yet to experience that, and have owned and used it for probably 4 years.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Similar to @jischwar, I use my normal CJ size for a good fit in the Harvard 2. Also like him, I don't own the Boston but do (or did) own the Harvard on the 314.

During the initial wears for the 314 last, I had an okay fit. I guess due to stretching within the heel area it did not fit as well with usage. With the Harvard 2, I've yet to experience that, and have owned and used it for probably 4 years.
Same experience. 314 lasted Harvard's were a bust for me, but Harvard 2 are one of my top loafers. StC classic last loafers are also great for me

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a pair of both 348 and 373 that can speak to the details of the fit?
I'm a US 10C with a more narrow heel, and a low volume foot. The 8.5uk Lowndes fits ok, but it's a bit loose in the heel.

348 is my absolute favorite last in terms of looks though. Does the 373 has the same heel? Closer fitting? Is the overall last similar in length and toe shape?

Thanks!
I have narrower heels as well and found my fit with Grantham 2 and Harvard 2 on the 376 last. Can also wear the Harvard's on 314 Last that Ben Silver sells but not the Cordovan Harvard from main C&J on that Last last for some reason. Found that one out the expensive hard way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics