• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

MrFingers

Reaction score
31F42B2A-6479-45D4-AF2A-B12CABD0D951.jpeg

finally got myself a pair of pembrokes! Would continuous polishing and use of cream (dark brown) be a good way to darken these?

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1840548
finally got myself a pair of pembrokes! Would continuous polishing and use of cream (dark brown) be a good way to darken these?
Looking great. Would love to see more pictures of these in different lighting. Sometimes they look orangey brown sort of tan/brown like here, but sometimes I see pictures of them looking much much lighter.

MrFingers

Reaction score
Looking great. Would love to see more pictures of these in different lighting. Sometimes they look orangey brown sort of tan/brown like here, but sometimes I see pictures of them looking much much lighter.
Absolutely chief. Will bust out the camera and upload some. They’re def a shade or two darker than tan but not quite nearly as dark brown as I’d want them to be.

MrFingers

Reaction score
yes, my Alex were a nice mid brown. one application of dark brown Saphir cream completely darkened them
After they change their color, do you just keep applying dark brown? Or what’s the best way to maintain a shade once it’s achieved?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would dark brown saphir do the trick?
yes, my Alex were a nice mid brown. one application of dark brown Saphir cream completely darkened them

As @Style989 mentioned, dark brown will darken them considerably.
Aside from being darker, you can "customize" them to a certain extent. What I mean is, you don't have to restrict yourself to dark brown. You can apply dark brown, color 8, mahagony, etc. Either any or all of those colors. You can select darker shades so they retain that darker aspect, but under certain lighting conditions would exhibit more depth.

Last edited:

MrFingers

Reaction score
As @Style989 mentioned, dark brown will darken them considerably.
Aside from being darker you can "customize" them to a certain extent. What I mean is, you don't have to restrict yourself to dark brown. You can apply dark brown, color 8, mahagony, etc. Either any or all of those colors. You can select darker shades so they retain that darker aspect, but under certain lighting conditions would exhibit more depth.
Thank you for the explanation good sir!

CWL317

Reaction score
Absolutely chief. Will bust out the camera and upload some. They’re def a shade or two darker than tan but not quite nearly as dark brown as I’d want them to be.
Mine are also tan scotch grain but were somewhat darker when new. This is a picture of them unworn out of the box 10 years ago.
6A032925-EABA-424C-A74E-D03B44B5F014.jpeg

This is them now…
6E3ABDBE-9DF6-4C50-8D09-BB4EB1BC02E8.jpeg

Moostyle

Reaction score
Well, after 6 months of semi-regular wear I can now say that the Harlechs I bought have broken in and become way more comfortable, moulding to my foot. The wears and use of shoe trees, not to mention a couple of Saphir spa sessions, has really softened the shell and allowed it to stretch out a little so that I now no longer feel the slight pinkie toe bumps that I used to, in fact it somehow feels like I have much more space to move my foot. I am pleasantly surprised by how supple it is, the Maduro shell on my Grant Stone Edwards really feels like stiff cardboard in comparison. :)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads