• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Style989

Reaction score
I found a pair of Birkdales on eBay which are a nice looking golf shoe, not my size unfortunately but it got me wondering can I play golf with my Islays? At the moment I play with footjoys and they're a "leather" Oxford but rather uncomfortable. They also have boot offerings but no doubt similarly uncomfortable and also with dubious leather. So it got me thinking walking in my Islays is much more comfortable especially for 4 hours so I might as well give it a try.

Last edited:

Bayou Tiger

Reaction score
Here's a great video about Crockett & Jones posted by Division Road. It is an extensive discussion about their collaboration. Most interesting to me was the in depth discussion of technical details and Crockett & Jones' commitment to quality.

Youtube

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a great video about Crockett & Jones posted by Division Road. It is an extensive discussion about their collaboration. Most interesting to me was the in depth discussion of technical details and Crockett & Jones' commitment to quality.

Youtube
Just don't mention Cavalry Calf or the thread will explode. :p

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tan scotch grain Coniston from Bodileys came out to 461.52USD on my credit card. I think the reason my Islay came out to 545 or so USD is because I went through PayPal. Definitely a mistake. Highly recommend not going through PayPal for a such purchases. o_O

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An old favorite, whiskey Harlech

PXL_20220929_134553616.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220929_134603126.PORTRAIT.jpg

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Tan scotch grain Coniston from Bodileys came out to 461.52USD on my credit card. I think the reason my Islay came out to 545 or so USD is because I went through PayPal. Definitely a mistake. Highly recommend not going through PayPal for a such purchases. o_O

You can see the exchange rate being used when you're making your PP purchase. And if you're using a card to fund the purchase, you can select using your card's exchange rate vs PP rate.

Edit:apparently it depends upon the card whether you can switch.

Last edited:

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can see the exchange rate being used when you're making your PP purchase. And if you're using a card to fund the purchase, you can select using your card's exchange rate vs PP rate.
Interesting. Did not notice the option, but I believe you. Lesson learned. Probably cost me about $50. Quite a bit but no use fussing over now.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the hardest time pairing whiskey. This is my opinion only but it feels too light for dark denim and in general darker colored pants. @flylikeneagle not trying to throw shade your way, just talking about myself 🍻

Loafers. That's how I'd use this shell color. As some may know and for those that do not, I do not own denim. Therefore, Chinos in summer colors (khaki, stone, british khaki, etv etc) and summer weight trousers is how I'd use whiskey shell loafers.

As you mentioned and aside from @flylikeneagle, I have seen the color paired up with denim and darker trousers to fine effect.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the hardest time pairing whiskey. This is my opinion only but it feels too light for dark denim and in general darker colored pants. @flylikeneagle not trying to throw shade your way, just talking about myself 🍻
No worries. I know many folks avoid wearing tan shoes with dark trousers, and I (usually) followed the rule when I worked in the office. I'm more flexible thes days since I mostly own and wear dark denim. The combination has actually grown on me

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like tan boots with indigo denim regardless of shade. And black and olive denim as well. I've been having the hardest time pairing my new tan pants with any of my boots are liking the results. They're 'okay' with the dark brown Islay but my tan and black boots don't look great with this particular shade.. I don't expect the incoming tan Coniston to do any better. My solution is throwing the pants up for sale after work today.

Edit: Here’s the Islay with 4 different pairs of pants including the tan ones I plan on unloading. Not tan boots, I know. I can do something similar when the Coniston arrives.

C668CE38-0B03-4765-9436-691795E322FA.jpeg
B578C14C-D022-406D-8F5F-AA34696DD683.jpeg
148984B9-A072-432A-BBBB-1F61E002FD36.jpeg
DB38AB27-7AB9-4C03-B627-4B2BEA48E517.jpeg

Last edited:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like tan boots with indigo denim regardless of shade. And black and olive denim as well. I've been having the hardest time pairing my new tan pants with any of my boots are liking the results. They're 'okay' with the dark brown Islay but my tan and black boots don't look great with this particular shade.. I don't expect the incoming tan Coniston to do any better. My solution is throwing the pants up for sale after work today.

Edit: Here’s the Islay with 4 different pairs of pants including the tan ones I plan on unloading. Not tan boots, I know. I can do something similar when the Coniston arrives.

View attachment 1837858 View attachment 1837859 View attachment 1837860 View attachment 1837861

I am not a fan of large contrasts in color (light colored footwear w/ dark denim/trousers or vice versa). It doesn't mean I frown upon those that do like and use the combination. That said, the boots posted look fine with the pants, in particular the first two. The last two pairs of pants speak to be joined up with Cordovan (Color 8 or Dark brown).

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not a fan of large contrasts in color (light colored footwear w/ dark denim/trousers or vice versa). It doesn't mean I frown upon those that do like and use the combination. That said, the boots posted look fine with the pants, in particular the first two. The last two pairs of pants speak to be joined up with Cordovan (Color 8 or Dark brown).
That makes sense. I appreciate hearing your perspective. I think for me the olive pair looks best with tan. In particular I love them with my acorn Stow boots that are more of a mustard color. The last pair of pants I don't love with any of my boots.. That said I don't have a large rotation to test them out with. I believe they look best with this Islay, but I wouldn't say it's a fantastic pairing. A darker brown or color 8 could be better options, for sure. Unfortunately, I have had so many issues with Alden qc that I am not sure I will ever try another pair. Aesthetically I am a big fan of their basic PCT variants in color 8 shell.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That makes sense. I appreciate hearing your perspective. I think for me the olive pair looks best with tan. In particular I love them with my acorn Stow boots that are more of a mustard color. The last pair of pants I don't love with any of my boots.. That said I don't have a large rotation to test them out with. I believe they look best with this Islay, but I wouldn't say it's a fantastic pairing. A darker brown or color 8 could be better options, for sure. Unfortunately, I have had so many issues with Alden qc that I am not sure I will ever try another pair. Aesthetically I am a big fan of their basic PCT variants in color 8 shell.

I guess it doesn't have to be cordovan, but that shiny (or glossy) heavier look could pair up more seamlessly. Something about the broguing and color are not as harmonious to my eye. A smoother more vibrant leather should add something to that matte pant. And when I mean shiny, I do not mean polished cordovan. More like a brushed cordovan so the boots do not become the focal point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads