• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Time to become more minimalist. I have 4 pairs of boots, and that is all. I probably shouldn't be considering the tan scotch grain Coniston, but the color is so appealing. In fact, had the Islay been available in tan rather than dark brown I would have gotten that version instead. I think 3-4 pairs of boots is the range I want to stay in. Adding in the Coniston would add a bit of uncertainty. What should stay? What should go?

I would say that of my 4 pairs only two I would consider totally 'safe'. Acorn Stow and dark brown scotch grain Islay. My black Stow sort of gets a free pass for now because black is such a useful color. On its own I would give the black Stow a rating of 'meh'.
Yes I have been leaning that way as well. The Coniston is beautiful though. I am partial to the C&J dark brown grain and have a few styles in that colour but really I should cull at a minimum 2 brogues and 3 - 4 cap toes before adding to the collection. 4 pairs of boots would be lovely, I just cannot decide which ones to get rid of.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are prioritizing based on value, assuming the £ doesn't decrease in value further, then purchasing the Islay is more financially sound.

If it's just a sensible decision based on lack of style in the collection, buy the Indy and not the Islay. Probably not buying the Islay altogether makes the most sense.

If you want to purchase both boots and do not sell off your current pairs, you'd just end up with beautiful boots that you won't truly enjoy.

^^^ this last bit is what happens to those that have far too many pairs in their wardrobe....and yes I speak from experience.
He he we talking sensibility in a forum where that goes out the window the moment we see someone else with a shiney new something.

With that said, the one reason why a slightly high number of pairs is ok for me, say 10, is because at a minimum I walk around 10 - 15k outdoors every day in very variable weather and so it wouldn't be unreasonable to wear two pairs a day.

Although even then as @Erikdayo mentions, 4 should still cut it. You could in theory alternate 2 pairs a day every other day....

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He he we talking sensibility in a forum where that goes out the window the moment we see someone else with a shiney new something.

With that said, the one reason why a slightly high number of pairs is ok for me, say 10, is because at a minimum I walk around 10 - 15k outdoors every day in very variable weather and so it wouldn't be unreasonable to wear two pairs a day.

Although even then as @Erikdayo mentions, 4 should still cut it. You could in theory alternate 2 pairs a day every other day....

I remember the good 'ol days when I only had that many pairs.

Probably one of the reasons I look upon so fondly at the Indy. It was my first expensive boot and the one, because I didn't have many, I wore so often.

Goodness that was way back in 2003 or 2004.

Last edited:

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is all just crazy talk. Get both an Islay and Indy. For that matter, get a cxl Indy and a snuff suede. May as well get a Conistons or two.
He he I have wondered about the chamois Indy. Good? :p

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The most I've had is about 10 pairs. I think as long as you are happy with what you have and are not putting yourself in a bad position financially then by all means get as many pairs as you would like. The reason I've downsized and plan on staying this way is more because I want to wear my favorite pairs very often and also not leave things unused for ages.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The most I've had is about 10 pairs. I think as long as you are happy with what you have and are not putting yourself in a bad position financially then by all means get as many pairs as you would like. The reason I've downsized and plan on staying this way is more because I want to wear my favorite pairs very often and also not leave things unused for ages.
Oh absolutely. Also modifying some of my existing pairs is in order to maximise usage. I plan to swap out a few Dainite soles for softer Vibram ones so I can use them in warmer weather as well.

Coolhand0302

Reaction score
He he I have wondered about the chamois Indy. Good? :p
Absolutely! Both my Indys are reverse chamois!! Something about the pattern I think just works really well with roughout…
21E10112-975C-4FFD-A66A-9AE4B5C7011C.jpeg

5A3D81D6-586C-4BA8-A4A0-EA033ECA8709.jpeg

Last edited:

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given all this talk of C&J vs Alden calf leather, I suppose I should ask whether I should consider the brown grain Islay next or the classic Alden Indy 405?
…seriously? Islay all day, and twice on Sunday’s.

DrewMill

Reaction score
Just to follow up, I wore a pair of Carmina oxfords (Rain last) yesterday, and they felt much better in the arch. So it may be a fit issue, but I think the thin insole theory may be correct.

Following up again, I've realized that both my C&Js are a little too wide for my feet too. I definitely don't have narrow feet, but my feet do slide from side to side a little. Are there some other brands out there whose standard widths run on the narrower side?

Style989

Reaction score
Time to become more minimalist. I have 4 pairs of boots, and that is all. I probably shouldn't be considering the tan scotch grain Coniston, but the color is so appealing. In fact, had the Islay been available in tan rather than dark brown I would have gotten that version instead. I think 3-4 pairs of boots is the range I want to stay in. Adding in the Coniston would add a bit of uncertainty. What should stay? What should go?

I would say that of my 4 pairs only two I would consider totally 'safe'. Acorn Stow and dark brown scotch grain Islay. My black Stow sort of gets a free pass for now because black is such a useful color. On its own I would give the black Stow a rating of 'meh'.
100% agree on tan Islay. CJ has the ladies version in tan and it's a thing of beauty. My girlfriend almost got it but she preferred the lady coniston

Style989

Reaction score
If you are prioritizing based on value, assuming the £ doesn't decrease in value further, then purchasing the Islay is more financially sound.

If it's just a sensible decision based on lack of style in the collection, buy the Indy and not the Islay. Probably not buying the Islay altogether makes the most sense.

If you want to purchase both boots and do not sell off your current pairs, you'd just end up with beautiful boots that you won't truly enjoy.

^^^ this last bit is what happens to those that have far too many pairs in their wardrobe....and yes I speak from experience.
I'm embarrassed to admit it but this is me. I've had my Conistons almost 2 months and haven't worn them once.

Style989

Reaction score
Following up again, I've realized that both my C&Js are a little too wide for my feet too. I definitely don't have narrow feet, but my feet do slide from side to side a little. Are there some other brands out there whose standard widths run on the narrower side?
Carmina's a good option at this price point if they fit you well. Did you try last 348 or 373? Those are a bit narrower for me. Otherwise the higher end makers do offer different widths (Gaziano Girling, Edward Green, Yohei Fukuda etc.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads