• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Jerkstore

Reaction score
Bodily's got my business for the Lonsdale thanks to my assistant. They owe her a commission. Stoked to get a sweet pair for a relatively nice price ($565).

Last edited:

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore my whiskey Lindrick this afternoon to UPS to ship its dark cognac brother to it's new owner. I've been downsizing my C&J, Alden and Carmina collection, but can't bring myself to part with whiskey Lindrick and Harlech.

PXL_20220926_222311984.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220926_222256199.PORTRAIT.jpg

Coolhand0302

Reaction score
Wore my whiskey Lindrick this afternoon to UPS to ship its dark cognac brother to it's new owner. I've been downsizing my C&J, Alden and Carmina collection, but can't bring myself to part with whiskey Lindrick and Harlech.

View attachment 1836785 View attachment 1836786
Gorgeous!!

…and speaking of Lindricks, there’s a proposal on the C&J MTO thread for a Lindrick makeup in Navy shell Cordovan to gauge interest for a GMTO.

Much like others have noted here, the ex-VAT prices for C&J shell are quite good at the moment, and I don’t think this particular combination has ever been run before, much less without MTO fees…

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given all this talk of C&J vs Alden calf leather, I suppose I should ask whether I should consider the brown grain Islay next or the classic Alden Indy 405?

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spoken like a true SF member. 🤜🏻🤛🏻
One is a question of the quality of the calf and the lore of the shoe, and the other is a function of appreciating USD to GBP values.... ;-) One must be practical and fantastical at the same time on occasion.

Coolhand0302

Reaction score
One is a question of the quality of the calf and the lore of the shoe, and the other is a function of appreciating USD to GBP values.... ;-) One must be practical and fantastical at the same time on occasion.
It’s a matter of personal taste and use preferences, of course - but from a purely financial standpoint, the value is much greater with the (ex VAT) Islay - at least at the current time.

I have multiples of both boots, and I find myself reaching for my Islays far more frequently than for my Indys, mostly because they dress either up or down easier. Indys are strictly casual, and if I’m going that route, I usually reach for my Vibergs instead.

But everyone has their preference, and you can’t go wrong with either boot!

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s a matter of personal taste and use preferences, of course - but from a purely financial standpoint, the value is much greater with the (ex VAT) Islay - at least at the current time.

I have multiples of both boots, and I find myself reaching for my Islays far more frequently than for my Indys, mostly because they dress either up or down easier. Indys are strictly casual, and if I’m going that route, I usually reach for my Vibergs instead.

But everyone has their preference, and you can’t go wrong with either boot!
Exactly this. I already wear a lot of brogues for casual use, particularly Trickers so the Islay isn't a very big leap for me in terms of wardrobe choices. I just figured may get the original Indy because of it's legend and because it does seem to have the reputation of being an extremely comfortable boot with a lot of toe space.

All being said, I started this GYW journey with Tricker's but now find myself veering more towards the offering C&J have. Tastes evolving, I guess.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly this. I already wear a lot of brogues for casual use, particularly Trickers so the Islay isn't a very big leap for me in terms of wardrobe choices. I just figured may get the original Indy because of it's legend and because it does seem to have the reputation of being an extremely comfortable boot with a lot of toe space.

All being said, I started this GYW journey with Tricker's but now find myself veering more towards the offering C&J have. Tastes evolving, I guess.

Considering you already have a bunch of similar boots why not opt for a different style? True that CJs are more refined than Trickers, but they are still brogue boots.

Not sure if you are a fan of CXL but that onto the Indy makes for a nice boot. Still casual but with a nice color depth.
Personally, I find CXL quite interesting as it looks oily and has that luster to it. Of course, a negative is it loses that luster, fades quick with use, and scratches easily but this is a casual work boot. If you want to go to the prom opt for something else.
Take care of it, and it ages wonderfully.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering you already have a bunch of similar boots why not opt for a different style? True that CJs are more refined than Trickers, but they are still brogue boots.

Not sure if you are a fan of CXL but that onto the Indy makes for a nice boot. Still casual but with a nice color depth.
Personally, I find CXL quite interesting as it looks oily and has that luster to it. Of course, a negative is it loses that luster, fades quick with use, and scratches easily but this is a casual work boot. If you want to go to the prom opt for something else.
Take care of it, and it ages wonderfully.
He he this unfortunately is a bit too sensible for my tastes. 🤣 To your point though, I should downsize the similar styled ones before getting the Islay. My other of purchase at this time really is the Indy, the Yuketen Maine DB Guide moc and then the Islay. It’s just the the falling Pound makes me wonder if I should change out the order a bit.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He he this unfortunately is a bit too sensible for my tastes. 🤣 To your point though, I should downsize the similar styled ones before getting the Islay. My other of purchase at this time really is the Indy, the Yuketen Maine DB Guide moc and then the Islay. It’s just the the falling Pound makes me wonder if I should change out the order a bit.
Time to become more minimalist. I have 4 pairs of boots, and that is all. I probably shouldn't be considering the tan scotch grain Coniston, but the color is so appealing. In fact, had the Islay been available in tan rather than dark brown I would have gotten that version instead. I think 3-4 pairs of boots is the range I want to stay in. Adding in the Coniston would add a bit of uncertainty. What should stay? What should go?

I would say that of my 4 pairs only two I would consider totally 'safe'. Acorn Stow and dark brown scotch grain Islay. My black Stow sort of gets a free pass for now because black is such a useful color. On its own I would give the black Stow a rating of 'meh'.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you are prioritizing based on value, assuming the £ doesn't decrease in value further, then purchasing the Islay is more financially sound.

If it's just a sensible decision based on lack of style in the collection, buy the Indy and not the Islay. Probably not buying the Islay altogether makes the most sense.

If you want to purchase both boots and do not sell off your current pairs, you'd just end up with beautiful boots that you won't truly enjoy.

^^^ this last bit is what happens to those that have far too many pairs in their wardrobe....and yes I speak from experience.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads