• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown shell Lindrick
88C89344-CCAD-41CD-870C-28C1322DB8C3.jpeg
2235A8FF-C480-4ABF-AEA0-DD0E445F9FE5.jpeg
ABE8C8EA-C06D-42B0-ADCF-B0AEFCE5349E.jpeg

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first pair of C&Js. Very nice casual boot. Islay and Coniston coming in next. I like it the design a lot but there a couple of cuts on the suede. is this normal? View attachment 1820715

You see this regularly with roughout suede / waxed suede. The smooth surface is due to the suede fibers being stuck together by the wax from the tanning procedure. Even light contact will leave a mark on roughout suede though this mark is not a cut but more a disturbance of the suede fibers in their wax emulsion.

If you get some dubbin and massage the affected area with it all should go back to normal.
With wear you will see more and more marks, which is part of the charm of the material imo.

Style989

Reaction score
You see this regularly with roughout suede / waxed suede. The smooth surface is due to the suede fibers being stuck together by the wax from the tanning procedure. Even light contact will leave a mark on roughout suede though this mark is not a cut but more a disturbance of the suede fibers in their wax emulsion.

If you get some dubbin and massage the affected area with it all should go back to normal.
With wear you will see more and more marks, which is part of the charm of the material imo.

Thank you. Yeah the dubbin did the trick. However, I like wearing them for walks in my local park and some sections are a bit wild so they've acquired a few scratches since. I've thought of preserving them for less adventurous walks and wearing something else but I really like wearing them and they're comfy. I feel like an explorer with them lol.

On that note I did wear my Islays for the first time yesterday. I struggled with the fit. The back kept digging into my heels. It wasn't too bad on flat surfaces but up or down hill was killer on my heels. I didn't think it was too bad until I went to dinner that evening wearing a pair of oxfords which dug exactly into that area of the heel. I could barely walk.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads