• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Style989.. There used to be two amazing shoe tree companies that made cedar trees. Both were found on Amazon. Sadly neither is available these days (Strauss Heritage & Rax collection). They were twin tube tension and were cut big to fill out a vamp.

Considering those aren't available, I've got to go with the recommended Ultra Woodlore for your CJ shoes. Will do their work just fine.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The great Coniston in dark brown grain, bought from Bodiley's. The dark brown - (mid or dark) gray combination is one of my favourites.

IMG_2716.jpg
IMG_2717.jpg
IMG_2718.jpg

shoefan57

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up guys. Any similar companies to wood lore in the UK? With customs and important taxes they'd probably end up costing more than C&J trees
Have a look on the “A Fine Pair of Shoes” website. They sell a number of different makes of shoe trees at different price points. I’ve always found their customer service and products to be top notch.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some seaside Snowdon use and care.
(Also, I’m no longer affiliated to C&J though I am still very much a fan of their products.)

Attachments

• A30D4196-8BE7-4EEE-84C3-BA500CBB0FDB.jpeg
    A30D4196-8BE7-4EEE-84C3-BA500CBB0FDB.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 1B9D63FB-31E5-4559-9B9F-8388DAB44A27.jpeg
    1B9D63FB-31E5-4559-9B9F-8388DAB44A27.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 333F1240-5CDA-449F-90F6-CF6356CE96BF.jpeg
    333F1240-5CDA-449F-90F6-CF6356CE96BF.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 42940A5A-FE85-4BA8-9525-BB0BE7170526.jpeg
    42940A5A-FE85-4BA8-9525-BB0BE7170526.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 125
  • C97EFB48-582A-4256-B66C-4BD937396CAC.jpeg
    C97EFB48-582A-4256-B66C-4BD937396CAC.jpeg
    453.7 KB · Views: 141

JIMIG

Reaction score
Hi. Lonsdale 8.5 fits me well. Should I order the same size in the Cavendish? Thanks

JIMIG

Reaction score
Also: considering these. What do you think of the condition of the soles? I don’t have much experience judging these things

Attachments

• D0CE6424-E05A-4EB0-AF3B-293E9731DB6A.jpeg
    D0CE6424-E05A-4EB0-AF3B-293E9731DB6A.jpeg
    944.2 KB · Views: 138

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also: considering these. What do you think of the condition of the soles? I don’t have much experience judging these things

Hard to say. Based on the appearance, I'd say it could go one of two ways.
Before that though, you have possibly years left provided you place a topy on them.

For the two ways this can go:

As is, sans topy, you might have +6 months left, YMMV.

As is, sans topy, a month left. Without checking physically how soft the middle of the forefoot sole is there's no way to determine how much life they have.

Style989

Reaction score
Hi. Lonsdale 8.5 fits me well. Should I order the same size in the Cavendish? Thanks
What lasts are they? If they are the same or similar then yes same size. Cavendish is a loafer so you want a tight fit so possibly half size down. Is there a store you can try them at?

Style989

Reaction score
Gents, thanks for the all advice and info. I decided to go with the Grizedale. I might get the Molton as well but don't know if I'd use them enough to justify a second pair of boots.
In terms of sizing haven't had a chance to try them on. I'm a UK8 in the Oxfords (last 348). I did try Molton and needed to go down half a size for a good fit. Should get UK8 for Grizedale ?
So I bought the Molton and now I'm going to get a bigger boot. I used some proper man logic to justify getting both. Molton I can use for work when I go to see development sites that can be quite rural and muddy, especially if it's a farm but not quite as full on as a trek through the forest. For those I need a big boot 🙂

I narrowed it down to the Coniston, Islay and Grizedale. My strong preference was Grizedale. However after trying all three today the Grizedale just didn't agree with my feet. 7.5 was too roomy and 7 was too tight. I liked Coniston in tan but then the rough out suede was just really special. I liked it a lot and the fit was good. The last was well suited to my feet, not perfect but very pleasant.
Then the Islay, what a boot. It was my least favourite going in but seeing it in the flesh it had so much character. The fit was in between the other two, the 7UK was painfully tight, the 7.5 a bit roomy but not excessively so. I was wearing thin dress socks as well so I assume with thicker winter socks it's better go with the larger size? my concern is that they expand once I use them and then they become too big so I don't know if I should start with the super tight ones and let them expand.

I saw this beautiful green rough out Coniston which turned out to be a GMTO. I was keen to get in on it but was told it was too late but I could still order it as MTO. A bit pricey but I am considering it. Either that or I could get both the Islay and Coniston for about the same price but then I'll need to justify another two boots lol.
If I do get those two then all my boots will have dainite soles. Will they be as robust as the vibram ones for hiking/snow?

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I bought the Molton and now I'm going to get a bigger boot. I used some proper man logic to justify getting both. Molton I can use for work when I go to see development sites that can be quite rural and muddy, especially if it's a farm but not quite as full on as a trek through the forest. For those I need a big boot 🙂

I narrowed it down to the Coniston, Islay and Grizedale. My strong preference was Grizedale. However after trying all three today the Grizedale just didn't agree with my feet. 7.5 was too roomy and 7 was too tight. I liked Coniston in tan but then the rough out suede was just really special. I liked it a lot and the fit was good. The last was well suited to my feet, not perfect but very pleasant.
Then the Islay, what a boot. It was my least favourite going in but seeing it in the flesh it had so much character. The fit was in between the other two, the 7UK was painfully tight, the 7.5 a bit roomy but not excessively so. I was wearing thin dress socks as well so I assume with thicker winter socks it's better go with the larger size? my concern is that they expand once I use them and then they become too big so I don't know if I should start with the super tight ones and let them expand.

I saw this beautiful green rough out Coniston which turned out to be a GMTO. I was keen to get in on it but was told it was too late but I could still order it as MTO. A bit pricey but I am considering it. Either that or I could get both the Islay and Coniston for about the same price but then I'll need to justify another two boots lol.
If I do get those two then all my boots will have dainite soles. Will they be as robust as the vibram ones for hiking/snow?

There is a model of each with vibram.

The Coniston in black roughout, and the Islay in black Scotch grain.

Screenshot 2022-08-06 140624.jpg

Screenshot 2022-08-06 140652.jpg

Style989

Reaction score
Never, ever start with a pair you describe as super tight. They will never be comfortable.
Thank you JayDotz. You saved me a lot of money, and pain by the sounds of it. They were so tight it felt like I had one toe too many.
I had the same issue before when I wanted to buy a GG. Incredible finish, the most beautiful designs and lasts, materials were top notch but so tight and painful to wear. I guess the last shape didn't suit my feet on those either. I was still considering them hoping they would stretch out after wearing.

Style989

Reaction score
There is a model of each with vibram.

The Coniston in black roughout, and the Islay in black Scotch grain.

View attachment 1819741
View attachment 1819744
Thank you, those could be an option. Aesthetically the brown suede and brown grain just appeal to be more. Shame it's not possible to choose different soles without the big MTO up charge. I suppose I could replace them once they wear out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads