• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s good to have your input and very interesting to have your expertise. They remain my favourite English maker too but, like G&G and JL, their pricing does seem overdone. To be fair to them they are cheaper than either of those two and I prefer them but nonetheless…….

Out of those three (EG, JL, GG), biased opinion here, I think EG a much better shoe. I base that mostly on how their lasts fit me, how they fit my wardrobe, and how they look on my feet.

I'd add that many of these companies, CJ, EG etc etc, use some marketing speak and our own preconceived notions about a brand's history/image to sell us these wonderful shoes. When you get into the nitty gritty of the components, construction, and extras you definitely begin questioning these prices.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Different comparison, but I thought this was apropos of the conversation…

Definitely pertinent to the conversation. It speaks to the escalating prices that are both unclear and potentially unjustifiable. 27% or 30% seems reasonable to me. In fact, it would seem reasonable to me if EB were to increase their prices 42-50% due to the kind of construction method used by them.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is the same here in England. When I see a man ( normally) walking down a street wearing a Goodyear Welted pair of shoes, I find my head turning to look at his shoes, almost reflexively and asking myself "which make are they?" It has often been said on SF, but it is sad that many men spend a great deal of money on beautiful clothes, only to ruin the look with a cheap, nasty pair of shoes.

On the matter of C&J Shell Cordovan footwear, one thing I love about this range is how light weight they are when compared with other high end makes. I don't know how C&J achieve this, since they use the same Horween shells as other makers, but it is something I like very much.
Germany, England, Spain...
Me in the airport with my old Burys.
16566160179172322439167953686343.jpg
The rest....
20220630_210403.jpg
No one with real shoes!!

Gustaf

Reaction score
I spotted these on the Instagram of a store in Australia:

No idea what they are and I couldn't find anything similar online. Does anyone know? That looks like a rather chiselled toe - 348 last maybe?

Kingston, from the Handgrade Collection.

ThomasR

Reaction score
How many participants do we need for a GMTO w/ C&J?
We could do Islay or Skye and I'm not picky about the sole, but it must have polished or antiqued eyelets as opposed to blind.

If you guys are fully on board, I'm willing to contact the Jermyn St location to get things initiated.

@stephenaf2003
@Crafty Cumbrian
@FatTuesday
@owenshill

Including myself that makes 5 of us.
Any contact made with C&J about an Islay or Skye GMTO?

DB2000

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It would make sense to put your GMTO discussion in the C&J GMTO thread... You may get a better response.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any contact made with C&J about an Islay or Skye GMTO?
Not yet. I was waiting for people affirm they’re going to follow thru instead of having another lingering GMTO.

I’ll write up an email before Monday to Ms. Vigouroux (Alex) my previous encounter was w her and she was pleasant.
As soon as I get word, I’ll post up the details in the GMTO thread. I’ll also announce in the Stitchdown Premium discord, hopefully we’ll get more participants from every corner of our bubble.

BaronLSN

Reaction score
Not yet. I was waiting for people affirm they’re going to follow thru instead of having another lingering GMTO.

I’ll write up an email before Monday to Ms. Vigouroux (Alex) my previous encounter was w her and she was pleasant.
As soon as I get word, I’ll post up the details in the GMTO thread. I’ll also announce in the Stitchdown Premium discord, hopefully we’ll get more participants from every corner of our bubble.
Again, my view is you need a matching belt for a distinctive leather like this! I'm not sure if C&J would do that for us...

HitMan009

Reaction score
Now that Pediwear doesn't offer C & J anymore, what is the next best option to get C & J for a decent price?

Coolhand0302

Reaction score
Now that Pediwear doesn't offer C & J anymore, what is the next best option to get C & J for a decent price?

Check with Kostas at The Noble Shoe, or Sarah at Bodiley’s for good prices and even better service - both will also ship ex-VAT if you’re outside the UK/EU…

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads