• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Islay will be my next purchase, they look awsome.

I have the standard Skyfall Islay. Next up for me is the black Scotch grain Islay with vibram lug soles. Sarah said she'll know by August if they become standard stock and she can sell them to me. 365 fits me perfectly, so I'm a little worried about going with Coniston which is reportedly a bit tighter across the ball of the foot. .

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many participants do we need for a GMTO w/ C&J?
We could do Islay or Skye and I'm not picky about the sole, but it must have polished or antiqued eyelets as opposed to blind.

If you guys are fully on board, I'm willing to contact the Jermyn St location to get things initiated.

@stephenaf2003
@Crafty Cumbrian
@FatTuesday
@owenshill

Including myself that makes 5 of us.

Soixante

Reaction score
We could do Islay or Skye and I'm not picky about the sole, but it must have polished or antiqued eyelets as opposed to blind.

If you guys are fully on board, I'm willing to contact the Jermyn St location to get things initiated.

@stephenaf2003
@Crafty Cumbrian
@FatTuesday
@owenshill

I don’t suppose the 6 promos is still up? So 12. I was lucky enough Pernilla able to get me away with just 8 back then (time is hard, no one wants to get on board) but even then I honor her kindness and seek for 12 still. I heard Basil is out, too. Who’s in charge in Jermyn now? Chris all by himself?

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bodiley's Highland.

IMG_0954.jpg
IMG_0955.jpg
IMG_0956.jpg

ThomasR

Reaction score

Coolhand0302

Reaction score

@stephenaf2003
@Crafty Cumbrian
@FatTuesday
@owenshill

I don’t suppose the 6 promos is still up? So 12. I was lucky enough Pernilla able to get me away with just 8 back then (time is hard, no one wants to get on board) but even then I honor her kindness and seek for 12 still. I heard Basil is out, too. Who’s in charge in Jermyn now? Chris all by himself?

As usual, @Soixante has it correct - our run was done under the reduced GMTO threshold of 6-pair through Crockett & Jones Retail Services. Lauren now head’s up special orders in that department - very professional, and they were even purchased using *gasp* a SSL digital payment portal online lol 😮…

However, you also can’t go wrong with Chris at 69 Jermyn St., and if he’s out of the shop, Alex can capably handle anything he would do - they’re a great - and communicative - team!

Whomever you reach out to, it’s my understanding that all special orders - including the surcharge reduction threshold - must be sent to, and approved by, Jonathan Jones himself at the Head Office before pricing is determined. While the 6-pair surcharge reduction was originally applied to cordovan GMTOs, it was also extended for our J&FJ Baker’s Russian Grain Islay makeup, as well as the Green Waxed Suede Coniston makeup recently put through… (FYI, when we surpassed the 6-pair offer and met the 12-pair threshold on the Coniston, the pricing remained the same…)

Just reach out if you want any contact details, and best of luck with this!!

PairOfDerby's

Reaction score
The Islay are great boots. I might do a review comparing them to my Church's McFarlane.

Marmite89

Reaction score
Nice. Unboxing my Islay has probably been my most enjoyable clothing/shoe unboxing of all. Don't get discouraged by the break-in with the stiff Scotch grain. It's fairly long and hard, but they will eventually become very comfortable.

Agree with this, my Islay are now more comfortable than slippers! Probably my favourite to wear.

Coolhand0302

Reaction score
Agree with this, my Islay are now more comfortable than slippers! Probably my favourite to wear.
For sure! While my Conistons are probably my most versatile C&J boot, the Islays are probably my favorite, as well!

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@stephenaf2003
@Crafty Cumbrian
@FatTuesday
@owenshill

Hey guys, sorry if I misunderstood or said something different earlier, but I’m in for an Islay only not the Skye.

BaronLSN

Reaction score
I'd probably prefer Skye, but would consider Islay too. I think the Skye would be a touch sleeker, which would be nice. Would prefer Ridgeway sole, if it must be eyelets then antiqued.

Matching belt would be perfect... can that be done in the Russian grain?

Has there been a costing?

shoeinvestor

Reaction score
Something out of the ordinary; cordovan Hardwicks.
View attachment 1807661
Those are great shoes!

It is interesting, what "out of the ordinary" can mean concerning shoes:
At least here in Germany, at least 99% of men (and women) wear garbage as shoes.
A proper pair of shoes already is out of the ordinary. And then, even when considering only people wearing GYW or similar high quality shoes, shell cordovan shoes are out of the ordinary. Actually, in real life, I have never seen a single pair of shell cordovan shoes/boots other than my own...
I wonder what percentage of C&J's sales are shell cordovan?

shoefan57

Reaction score
Those are great shoes!

It is interesting, what "out of the ordinary" can mean concerning shoes:
At least here in Germany, at least 99% of men (and women) wear garbage as shoes.
A proper pair of shoes already is out of the ordinary. And then, even when considering only people wearing GYW or similar high quality shoes, shell cordovan shoes are out of the ordinary. Actually, in real life, I have never seen a single pair of shell cordovan shoes/boots other than my own...
I wonder what percentage of C&J's sales are shell cordovan?
It is the same here in England. When I see a man ( normally) walking down a street wearing a Goodyear Welted pair of shoes, I find my head turning to look at his shoes, almost reflexively and asking myself "which make are they?" It has often been said on SF, but it is sad that many men spend a great deal of money on beautiful clothes, only to ruin the look with a cheap, nasty pair of shoes.

On the matter of C&J Shell Cordovan footwear, one thing I love about this range is how light weight they are when compared with other high end makes. I don't know how C&J achieve this, since they use the same Horween shells as other makers, but it is something I like very much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads