• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Soixante

Reaction score
Shame some brands refuse to work with it though, I understand the risk of this leather being teared is the same as shell but then again they could probably just charge the same amount.

Side zips and Service boots is all left for this journey ;)

Coolhand0302

Reaction score
Shame some brands refuse to work with it though, I understand the risk of this leather being teared is the same as shell but then again they could probably just charge the same amount.

Side zips and Service boots is all left for this journey ;)
You’re a visionary @Soixante - you should post a group shot of all the Russians you’ve collected so far, for… science 🙏

Mads

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I’ve been considering ordering a pair of Islay boots for a considerate period of time and have thus stalked this thread for some time too (nice collection you’ve all got!).

I’m very much not a shoe person (but damn those Islays speak to me) - primarily been using two pairs of Adidas superstars (european size 44/UK size 9.5) for the last decade and so I have no C&J last experience to refer to when eatimating the required size of Islays.

I’ve read that people generally downsize from other lasts when going with the 365 last. Do you think I should do so too? Down to a UK size 9 maybe?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you. :)

Best regards,

Mads

DB2000

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I’ve been considering ordering a pair of Islay boots for a considerate period of time and have thus stalked this thread for some time too (nice collection you’ve all got!).

I’m very much not a shoe person (but damn those Islays speak to me) - primarily been using two pairs of Adidas superstars (european size 44/UK size 9.5) for the last decade and so I have no C&J last experience to refer to when eatimating the required size of Islays.

I’ve read that people generally downsize from other lasts when going with the 365 last. Do you think I should do so too? Down to a UK size 9 maybe?

Best regards,

Mads
Adidas are generally .5 size larger than brannock. Islay is a half size smaller than brannock. So you will probably want to size down 1 to a 8.5.

Gustaf

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Best regards,

Mads

Old sneakerhead here. I take the same size in Adidas/Nike as in C&J 365 (and my other C&J lasts). So if you’re a UK 9.5 in Adidas, I would go with UK 9.5 in the Islay. Half a size up even, if you wear really thick socks.

Mads

Reaction score
Old sneakerhead here. I take the same size in Adidas/Nike as in C&J 365 (and my other C&J lasts). So if you’re a UK 9.5 in Adidas, I would go with UK 9.5 in the Islay. Half a size up even, if you wear really thick socks.

Thank you! :) That’s quite a difference compared to the advice above (downsize 1). I suppose it’s down to the various unique measurements of the feet. Guess I’ll just give it a go to find out and hope not having to return them then.

Gustaf

Reaction score
Adidas are generally .5 size larger than brannock. Islay is a half size smaller than brannock. So you will probably want to size down 1 to a 8.5.

Not really. I think you may be confusing UK and US sizing. The OP’s shoes are a UK 9.5, or a European 44. That’s equivalent to a UK 9.5 in C&J, which also corresponds to a European, or ”Continental” as they call it, size 44.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pwc008

Reaction score
I'd be all over a GMTO for the Thierry it's a derby shoe, with a punched toe cap.

Thrifted one on ebay about 2 years ago, but the orig. owner must have had a heel the size of a football, as the shoes had much more slippage than I have ever experienced in a C&J shoe.

Anyone here a Thierry fan?

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I completely agree, when I got the Radnor a few years ago, I was in love with this leather as well. I also picked up the KA chukka in the leather, and I definitely have to have this Skye in it. The Skye is my favorite C&J boot, so if I have to pay that ridiculous C&J premium for MTO, I’m just gonna have to swallow hard and do it.
I actually think it'll look great on the Skye pattern.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads