• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

shoeinvestor

Reaction score
C&J Connaught in Chestnut calf on last 236 on single leather soles. Shoes from 2015, photos from yesterday. They are now exactly 7 years old, have seen approx. 140 days of wear and have been resoled last year. One of my favorite shoes. I am regularly asked if I bought a new pair of shoes when wearing these...

IMG_4115.JPG

IMG_4113.JPG

Menninki

Reaction score
C&J Connaught in Chestnut calf on last 236 on single leather soles. Shoes from 2015, photos from yesterday. They are now exactly 7 years old, have seen approx. 140 days of wear and have been resoled last year. One of my favorite shoes. I am regularly asked if I bought a new pair of shoes when wearing these...

They look really nice and, well, brand new :) I just checked and noticed that they also come with a city sole variant which would suit my needs.

Would anyone know the main differences of Connaught model to AE Park avenue?

barto78

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm new to the C&J thread, but have been a long time lurker and sometimes poster on the Alden thread. I've recently found a liking to Chukka boots. That being said, the Molton Chukka is a real eye catcher and i'm thinking of making it my next purchase.

I wear 9.5D in the Barrie Last and 10D in the Plaza last (Alden). I'm a 10D in the AE 65 last, so bearing that in mind, what size would you guys recommend me choosing?

TIA!

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm new to the C&J thread, but have been a long time lurker and sometimes poster on the Alden thread. I've recently found a liking to Chukka boots. That being said, the Molton Chukka is a real eye catcher and i'm thinking of making it my next purchase.

I wear 9.5D in the Barrie Last and 10D in the Plaza last (Alden). I'm a 10D in the AE 65 last, so bearing that in mind, what size would you guys recommend me choosing?

TIA!
I'd go UK9, we are the same size more or less

Coolhand0302

Reaction score

TIA!
Agree with the other responses to this: sounds like you’re probably well-suited to a UK 9E for the Molton; and also agree that if you’re outside of UK/Schengen, to try to pick them up VAT-free…

You might want to chat with Kostas at the Noble Shoe on both issues - he answered all my sizing questions and provided excellent service along with a good price when I picked up my Moltons:

barto78

Reaction score
Agree, 9UK size for C&J. If you’re in the US, recommend purchasing from a UK stocklist to save some money.

I'm a bit confused. I am in the US and you're suggesting i find a store in the UK to purchase and have them ship to me? I assume it's the VAT i'm trying to avoid....?

TIA

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused. I am in the US and you're suggesting i find a store in the UK to purchase and have them ship to me? I assume it's the VAT i'm trying to avoid....?

TIA

Yes. Bodiley's (Sarah will help you on sizing) will ship DHL express for free ($20 w C&J) and sell you the ex-vat price. On their website, once you put in a size, you'll see two prices pop up: one with vat and one ex-vat.

Regarding sizing, I've always been a 10 D, but when I started buying Allen Edmonds I sized down and out and have been 9.5 E/EE in almost all their lasts (including 65), and it has worked very well. When I bought my first pair of C&J, I sent them my foot measurements, and they suggested converting to UK by going down a half (not sure of whether this was due to width issues, but the length at 9UK has been perfect) from my AE size, so I went with 9UK on the Bostons. Bodiley's subsequently told me to stick with 9UK on the Moltons and Islay. All three fit me exceptionally well. Moral of the story: trace your foot and take the measurements (C&J has instructions on this on their website) and send them to Sarah at Bodiley's. She'll get you the right size and sell you the Moltons ex-vat.

hysteria

Reaction score
I got myself a pair of CJ Unlined Suede Harvard in 7.5 UK based on their recommendation since I was originally in the market for CJ Burgundy Calf Boston which is out of stock at the moment. Width is fine and I've got enough space in the toebox, but the CJ unlined Harvard is a fairly loose fit with heel slippage with walking. I suspect the instep on this size is a tad higher than what I need. Heel doesn't always come out of the shoe, but it does sometimes. CJ seems to think if I went down to 7 UK, the harvard might be fine but the Boston's 314 may just be a poor last for me because the heel is not as narrow. I Have yet to try the Boston, but it sounds like maybe I Just need to pass on it and perhaps not giving a try if that's what CJ is saying. Has this been others' exp as well with thoes two shoes?

I was really kee on the Boston bc it's the only one that comes in burgundy calf. Sadly, 376 last does not.

barto78

Reaction score
Agree with the other responses to this: sounds like you’re probably well-suited to a UK 9E for the Molton; and also agree that if you’re outside of UK/Schengen, to try to pick them up VAT-free…

You might want to chat with Kostas at the Noble Shoe on both issues - he answered all my sizing questions and provided excellent service along with a good price when I picked up my Moltons:

I reached out to TNS and Kosta replied within minutes. Impressive. He suggested i purchase the 9UK.

I'm impatient, so i'm going to contact the C&J store in NYC and see if they have my size in stock. I'm curious to find out what the price would be to purchase in the US versus waiting 3-4 months and purchasing from TNS.

Thank you all to have offered advice. It's much appreciated!

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I reached out to TNS and Kosta replied within minutes. Impressive. He suggested i purchase the 9UK.

I'm impatient, so i'm going to contact the C&J store in NYC and see if they have my size in stock. I'm curious to find out what the price would be to purchase in the US versus waiting 3-4 months and purchasing from TNS.

Thank you all to have offered advice. It's much appreciated!

I don't want to step on Kosta's shoes so to speak. If, however, Bodiley's has your size in stock, they will ship out DHL Express within one or two days. Both my Moltons and Islay arrived from the UK within a week. That's not much of a wait to save a lot. I paid $460 as opposed to $625 from C&J.

barto78

Reaction score
I don't want to step on Kosta's shoes so to speak. If, however, Bodiley's has your size in stock, they will ship out DHL Express within one or two days. Both my Moltons and Islay arrived from the UK within a week. That's not much of a wait to save a lot. I paid $460 as opposed to $625 from C&J.

That is a big savings. TNS is out of stock until October. There is a pair at C&J Soho and the price you noted is spot on. I will check out Bodiley's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads