• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Braid

Reaction score
Gentlemen, what are your thoughts on the Itshide Commando sole? Any pictures of it on the Coniston?

I have it on the snowdon. In my opinion It looks much better than the Vibram studded and I find it very comfortable.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, what are your thoughts on the Itshide Commando sole? Any pictures of it on the Coniston?

Personally, I don't like it, it's on the harder side snd debris gets easily trapped in between the lugs. I have 1 pair and when it's time for a re-sole, I'll be choosing something else.

Marmite89

Reaction score
Personally, I don't like it, it's on the harder side snd debris gets easily trapped in between the lugs. I have 1 pair and when it's time for a re-sole, I'll be choosing something else.

I’m in this camp too. Got the Commando sole on three pairs, the little bits of gravel that get caught in the lugs are dead annoying (although very satisfying to remove with a key).

Cannot wait to swap to Ridgeway on my Snowdon’s.

JPJ109

Reaction score
A slim leather insole would take care of your worries.

I ended up swapping the 8UK for a 7.5UK, and so much better in terms of overall fit, was told about 5mm smaller all around, so not just length but width as well, IDK if that is correct, but certainly feels more snug.
This was despite C&J and their online measuring suggesting a UK8.
They feel robust and will require some breaking in, but ideal for winter and timely as it hasn't stopped raining today!

JPJ109

Reaction score
Folks, I could use some assistance with CJ sizing.

With AE Park Ave, the best fit for me is 8 US D. The instep of the shoe is a bit low for me, but not horrible, and the rest of the shoe works well for my feet. My foot is on the narrower side with a low arch.

I'm trying to figure out the best size for CJ Boston, but after discussing with Pediwear and CJ, their sizing recommendations still seem off to me, so I want to double-check here before I pull the trigger. They are recommending 7.5 UK, which seems like it would be too big.

For reference, I've struggled with loafer sizing in the past. Most recently, I tried Vass F-last loafers in 40.5, and it was too big by 0.75-1cm. I'm guessing 39.5 or 40 is probably more optimal.

Do you think 7.5 UK makes sense here for the Boston?
On the same note, would you recommend similar sizing for Coniston, or half a size up from the loafers?

Here are my foot measurements if it's of any help:

Foot length: 25.6-25.8cm depending on exact measurement method and which sample I wish to use.
Width (using CJ’s system): 10cm.
Circumference of the widest part of foot (with socks): 23.75cm-24cm
Instep (probably matters less for loafers since the loafers don’t come up as high): 25.5cm-26cm depending on exact landmark.
Brannock Device: 8.5 US

I just went through this same process, albeit slightly larger feet than you.
Brannock I'm a 9US, and ended up with a UK7.5 in the Coniston, the UK8 which was recommended felt like a boat in comparison to the smaller size.

Gustaf

Reaction score
I have it on the snowdon. In my opinion It looks much better than the Vibram studded and I find it very comfortable.
I’m in this camp too. Got the Commando sole on three pairs, the little bits of gravel that get caught in the lugs are dead annoying (although very satisfying to remove with a key).

Cannot wait to swap to Ridgeway on my Snowdon’s.

Thanks. It’s been quite a while since I had Vibram soles but I remember them as gravel magnets. Also, the look is a bit too agressive for me, although it depends on the boot and overall outfit. The Itshide looks less agressive in profile, but, as noted, has the same problem with debris getting stuck (not surprisimg as it’s the same type of pattern).

Interesting that perceived comfort seems to vary. I find the Ridgeway noticeably more comfortable than studded Dainite and would have assumed the Commando to be similar to Ridgeway in this respect.

Food for thought. Again thanks, appreciate the input.

Braid

Reaction score
Thanks. It’s been quite a while since I had Vibram soles but I remember them as gravel magnets. Also, the look is a bit too agressive for me, although it depends on the boot and overall outfit. The Itshide looks less agressive in profile, but, as noted, has the same problem with debris getting stuck (not surprisimg as it’s the same type of pattern).

Interesting that perceived comfort seems to vary. I find the Ridgeway noticeably more comfortable than studded Dainite and would have assumed the Commando to be similar to Ridgeway in this respect.

Food for thought. Again thanks, appreciate the input.
Good summary, only point i would add is that there is also a difference in height. Couple of pictures of Snowdon (Itshide) and Ross (Vibram) for comparison.

Difference in height is quite visible.
IMG_20220226_152501.jpg
IMG_20220226_151738.jpg

Gustaf

Reaction score
Good summary, only point i would add is that there is also a difference in height. Couple of pictures of Snowdon (Itshide) and Ross (Vibram) for comparison.

Difference in height is quite visible.
View attachment 1795790
View attachment 1795791

This is great, thanks. Haven't seen it from this perspective before. I knew the Commando heel is high but not that it is that much higher than a Vibram. There is also a siginficant difference in height between front and back on the Commando.

Braid

Reaction score
This is great, thanks. Haven't seen it from this perspective before. I knew the Commando heel is high but not that it is that much higher than a Vibram. There is also a siginficant difference in height between front and back on the Commando.
The view from the front is a bit deceptive as the lugs are not visible but still add to the height of the sole. In the Vibram sole instead the lugs are very visible and obvious even from the front

Gustaf

Reaction score
The view from the front is a bit deceptive as the lugs are not visible but still add to the height of the sole. In the Vibram sole instead the lugs are very visible and obvious even from the front

Good point. It is deceptive, but there is still a difference. Inspired by your post, I found these images of the Moray and Ross from Division Road (not as good of a comparison as having them side by side in the same shot, but still):

F66BEA77-0C29-409F-B1D6-1E4E479AE360.jpeg

31F05C96-9458-4FCF-BE45-3E8FE5FFA822.jpeg

Sources:

PH4

Reaction score
Hope you can help. I have Pembroke and Islay. Need shoe tree but allergic to cedar. Does anyone know a non-cedar wooden shoe tree in the 30-50USD range?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Tricker’s trees are made of lime wood but are more than $50. Try searching Etsy for beechwood trees.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads