• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Hi all,
A newby here, and trying to get my head around C&J Coniston's from here in Aus.
A have the usual RM's and a few pairs of Cheaney shoes and Oak Street Trench boots with leather soles. But I do wear my shoes hard & given its coming into winter here Danite looks the go.
I can get a pair of Conistons here in my size (UK8) if the 325 last is similar to the Cheaney 125 last, but saw a great comparison picture with the Carmina Oscar & now am undecided!
The Oscar can be had in Cordovan hatch grain (Burgundy shell hatch grain, is it really that red as the picture on the Carmina site is unclear?) for not that much more than the Coniston in tan scotch country grain, or the Oscar in Tan Karagrain which looks similar to the Coniston tan for less $.
I usually go with brown boots and thought the Coniston in tan may be a nice change (and I can get it here), and will likely stand up to abuse a bit better.
It just so happens I may be able to get my hands on a pair of the Galway II in Cordovan, but with the leather sole....
Help!
Thanks..
I wear the same size on all three lasts. All have pluses and minuses but I always say buy what you like the most. I love the Galway and in shell it’s a beauty. Aus winters are like 70 degrees so you’ll be fine! 😂

BaronLSN

Reaction score
I think some people call it a Coniston too, but neither the Harlech or Coniston are on the 240 last.
The Peal and Co version of the Coniston is.

Edit: too early in the morning, but it's exactly the same boot as the Coniston, by the same company, on 240, so you might as well call it a 240-lasted Coniston.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Peal and Co version of the Coniston is.

Edit: too early in the morning, but it's exactly the same boot as the Coniston, by the same company, on 240, so you might as well call it a 240-lasted Coniston.
Were you referring to the non-cordovan version captoe boots Peal and Co sold?

If not, why couldn't the 240-lasted codorvan cap toe boots Peal and Co sold be a 240-lasted Harlech?

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
I think some people call it a Coniston too, but neither the Harlech or Coniston are on the 240 last.
It’s close to both whilst being neither, I have the CJ Harlech and Coniston and was more a joke initially on the boot being made for the American audience …

BaronLSN

Reaction score
I love these Dark Brown Suede Galways!
PXL_20220517_035948053.PORTRAIT.jpg

JPJ109

Reaction score
Hi, quality-wise, C&J and Carmina are fantastic; my way to go is rubber sole; in terms of last, C&J 325 is quite different to Cheaney 125; Cheaney is more elongated and sleek.
Coniston is a robust boot. I wear the same model in tan in the countryside in the UK and no problem, I take care of the leather.
I own Carmina boots, but I never put these boots to an actual abuse; always, I wear in the city.
I think there is a matter of taste; you will never be wrong whether you choose C&J or Carmina.
Cheers!!!
Thanks for your insight, I reckon the C&J Consiton will be the go to start.

Hurlazza4

Reaction score
Hi all,
A newby here, and trying to get my head around C&J Coniston's from here in Aus.
A have the usual RM's and a few pairs of Cheaney shoes and Oak Street Trench boots with leather soles. But I do wear my shoes hard & given its coming into winter here Danite looks the go.
I can get a pair of Conistons here in my size (UK8) if the 325 last is similar to the Cheaney 125 last, but saw a great comparison picture with the Carmina Oscar & now am undecided!
The Oscar can be had in Cordovan hatch grain (Burgundy shell hatch grain, is it really that red as the picture on the Carmina site is unclear?) for not that much more than the Coniston in tan scotch country grain, or the Oscar in Tan Karagrain which looks similar to the Coniston tan for less $.
I usually go with brown boots and thought the Coniston in tan may be a nice change (and I can get it here), and will likely stand up to abuse a bit better.
It just so happens I may be able to get my hands on a pair of the Galway II in Cordovan, but with the leather sole....
Help!
Thanks..
I take it you know you can try on the Conistons if you are in Sydney or Melbourne.

JPJ109

Reaction score
One thing that might help you decide is how you are likely to wear the boots the most, i.e., in the office exclusively, office and job site, mostly casual use, etc… If you’re mostly in suits, the Carmina last will look more elegant than the Coniston on 325 (although you can get a fantastic shine on Cordovan leather, if needed).

However, for your hard-wearing purposes, nothing will beat the shell Cordovan leather. Despite its premium price point and how easily it shines up, it is the original durable work boot leather, and is unparalleled in ease of care for simple scuffs and scrapes (water is another matter, but also not a huge deal). And if the price for a shell Coniston or Galway II isn’t that much more than the grain leather where you are, it’s an easy choice for me to go with the Cordovan option (I have both, and the difference between the Coniston and Galway is pure aesthetic preference IMO - I find I wear the shell Galway with suits more than my grain Conistons, and wear both equally with sports jackets). I also wouldn’t worry too much about the sole - you should be able to find a cobbler able to add a topy to a leather sole for a nominal cost, or resole to your choice of sole entirely once you’ve worn through the leather…

Another thing to consider is color. I wouldn’t worry about the burgundy being “too” red (although I don’t own this leather from Carmina), as most leathers in that range are still considered “brown.” If you have a lot of (or only) brown boots, you may want to try a different color leather to give you more options. However, I have found the lighter leathers to be harder to pair with most outfits than the darker leathers, and that I consequently wear them less often...

But this is mostly personal preference and options - if you don’t have many boots and think you’ll wear these often with a wide range of clothing, I’d probably opt for the Coniston or Galway in dark brown shell Cordovan (C&J also does this shade better than others IMO); but if you have a few dark brown boots and want some different color options, and especially if you want a more elegant looking shape, the Carmina in burgundy hatchgrain might be an option, too…

Thanks for your response, a comprehensive reply!
I am leaning towards the Coniston, ensure I have the sizing right first etc before leaping too far into the unknown.
My work and play outfits are quite similar, I have a reasonable degree of flexibility these days as to how I dress as long as its presentable.. Suits are occasional and I have brogues, etc for that purpose.
I may save myself for the Cordovan, I believe C&S do a full custom program so I can always order a pair for next winter with the appropriate soles to start.
I haven't bought clothes in ages so now is a good excuse to buy some pieces and build outfits around the boots - isn't that the right way to do it 😊

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads