• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

shoefan57

Reaction score
My apologies for replying to a question from eighteen months ago - I was very tired!

shoefan57

Reaction score
Does anyone know how the Vibram Vi Lite soles are attached? They look cemented to me, albeit with a welt sewn onto the insole.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C&J Shell Harlech's today!

8BD1D990-803A-4F8F-8DD9-DB3719EF47FC.jpeg
DD38187A-3937-4A46-AEF5-3E94EA86B9E0.jpeg

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Does anyone know how the Vibram Vi Lite soles are attached? They look cemented to me, albeit with a welt sewn onto the insole.
Blu tac…

they should be goodyearwelted to a slim midsole. I know Loake I think heat seal some soles so it’s not out of the realms of possibility.

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm intrigued by the Coniston in black rough-out suede. Would these hold up as light-duty work boots? How does rough-out suede react to water? How does one care for and treat this type of leather? Thank in advance!

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm intrigued by the Coniston in black rough-out suede. Would these hold up as light-duty work boots? How does rough-out suede react to water? How does one care for and treat this type of leather? Thank in advance!

I'm looking at that boot too, as I need something with a lug sole. As for C&J roughout, I have the Molton chukka boots. I had them at the dog park last night for about an hour. Lots of walking through the snow; lots of dogs stepping on them. When I got home, they got wiped down with a dry cloth and lightly brushed with a pig bristle brush and look like new. Given the harshness of Chicago winters and the ever abundant salt everywhere, I'll probably rewax them more frequently than others, but I've been very impressed at how sturdy and waterproof the leather is. Next to CXL, they're definitely the most hardy Winter leather that I own.

Here's Crockett's take on care for roughout.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at that boot too, as I need something with a lug sole. As for C&J roughout, I have the Molton chukka boots. I had them at the dog park last night for about an hour. Lots of walking through the snow; lots of dogs stepping on them. When I got home, they got wiped down with a dry cloth and lightly brushed with a pig bristle brush and look like new. Given the harshness of Chicago winters and the ever abundant salt everywhere, I'll probably rewax them more frequently than others, but I've been very impressed at how sturdy and waterproof the leather is. Next to CXL, they're definitely the most hardy Winter leather that I own.

Here's Crockett's take on care for roughout.

Will you use the Saphir Dubbin? I need to condition my rough out Coniston at some point.

Also for a light duty work boot wouldn't the Aldershot with cleated sole be a better option?

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will you use the Saphir Dubbin? I need to condition my rough out Coniston at some point.

Also for a light duty work boot wouldn't the Aldershot with cleated sole be a better option?

The black roughout Coniston does have a cleated, lug sole. As for my wax, yeah, I'll almost certainly get the Saphir Dubbin when the time comes though I think there are other reliable options out there.

Coniston-28637A-S51U2-4-600x600.jpg

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The black roughout Coniston does have a cleated, lug sole. As for my wax, yeah, I'll almost certainly get the Saphir Dubbin when the time comes though I think there are other reliable options out there.

Coniston-28637A-S51U2-4-600x600.jpg
I recently got a pair of green rough out Conistons like @zippyh. Looking to pick up a tin of Saphir Dubbin to re-up the finish.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score

I have these exact boots and they are marvelous. They are pretty much water proof unless you stepped into something where water went past the tongue. They are really nice looking so I personally would not recommend them as a light work boot but they will stand up to it. The toe caps are solid and the boot is pretty stiff, at least when new. Bending or squatting down a lot might be a little uncomfortable. Dubbin is the way to go, and will keep that water rolling off.

Rob H

Reaction score
A few updates to the collection.
I recently collected a special order Connaught 2 made from black cordovan in my size & width, on the 332 (Latimer) last that I always prefer. Another huge thank you to Tom and the staff in Burlington Arcade for making this happen, you make this old man look far too good!
I've already got a pair of black cordovan whole cut Weymouth 2 but wanted some classic cap toe oxfords to switch between for more formal events.
Also here's both pairs of my previously seen Fairfords - I had the pleasure of meeting Sator Polishing last Autumn in the Jermyn Street shop and was lucky enough to watch him in action as he added patina to a pair of shoes.
A true artisan in my humble opinion.
I commissioned him to put a subtle museum finish on my dark brown Fairford and a patina on my tan pair.
I'd imagine that this will polarise some people but I'm really happy with the look.
I didn't want to change the basic colour of my shoes and he's created exactly what I wanted. It's such an art that it's difficult to do it justice with photos but here's some anyway.
IMG6385.jpg
IMG6391.jpg
IMG6395.jpg

shoefan57

Reaction score
A few updates to the collection.
I recently collected a special order Connaught 2 made from black cordovan in my size & width, on the 332 (Latimer) last that I always prefer. Another huge thank you to Tom and the staff in Burlington Arcade for making this happen, you make this old man look far too good!
I've already got a pair of black cordovan whole cut Weymouth 2 but wanted some classic cap toe oxfords to switch between for more formal events.
Also here's both pairs of my previously seen Fairfords - I had the pleasure of meeting Sator Polishing last Autumn in the Jermyn Street shop and was lucky enough to watch him in action as he added patina to a pair of shoes.
A true artisan in my humble opinion.
I commissioned him to put a subtle museum finish on my dark brown Fairford and a patina on my tan pair.
I'd imagine that this will polarise some people but I'm really happy with the look.
I didn't want to change the basic colour of my shoes and he's created exactly what I wanted. It's such an art that it's difficult to do it justice with photos but here's some anyway. View attachment 1745666 View attachment 1745667 View attachment 1745668
I like the dark brown ones the best but both patina jobs are attractive.

Rob H

Reaction score
Thank you, I felt that I should have a head-turning pair and a subtle pair that appeals in a different way.
My photography really doesn't do them justice and I really must learn to become an expert at shining them now to keep them like this!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads