• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

ryan ruslan

Reaction score
What I mean was size down from your regular shoe size. I am a UK10.5 / US11.5 / EU44.5 normally but seem to be a UK9.5 / US 10.5 / EU43.5 in boots such as C&J Coniston.
My pairs took a bit more than the average boot to break in. The uppers are rather robust. Might have taken 6-8 wears to really get some better flexibility in the shaft and vamp. Harlech is a super boot.
Yeah if only these comes with a rubber sole..

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I mean was size down from your regular shoe size. I am a UK10.5 / US11.5 / EU44.5 normally but seem to be a UK9.5 / US 10.5 / EU43.5 in boots such as C&J Coniston.
I don't think people typically size down in their Conistons, especially as much as you have, though I do size down, but only by half a size and they are snug.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The same is true for the pricing ?
I know in the U.S. C&J has a huge markup - like some other British companies (Dents for example). I buy from a UK supplier and save over $100 a pair. Really aggravates me when companies do regional pricing like that. I bought a pair of Chiltern's from Bowhill & Elliott - at their standard price of 320 pounds (434 USD) - C&J U.S. price = $570. Dents (I buy their gloves) is the same - I used to buy off their UK site to avoid the markup but they finally disabled the ability to order from that site and ship to U.S. Just a thought for next time to look at official UK stockists to avoid the markup

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Is it tomorrow yet?
Final Galway… Milkshake suede… ?
314A722A-5474-4289-8FFF-F2E29224E042.jpeg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went into a store today that I found stocked CJ (the only one in my city) and tried on a pair of COnistons. I found that I needed to size down from 10-10.5 to 9.5 for a comfortable fit. After trying them on I had mixed feelings... they were really nice but I am not sure if I loved them. However I often have a lukewarm reaction to things in the flesh after seeing nice photos so I will think on it.

Definitely not for me from a practical perspective... having no grip is really bad in wet and/or winter street conditions.

Dainite doesn't do well at all on ice and snow. It does do better in the rain.

Moostyle

Reaction score
I don't think people typically size down in their Conistons, especially as much as you have, though I do size down, but only by half a size and they are snug.
People don't typically size down as much as me? Maybe my posts are somehow not clear, but I did only size down by half a UK size like you seem to have done, and I read in this thread and on many shoe sites that it is common to do so. Many sites even advise it for the correct fitting. :)

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People don't typically size down as much as me? Maybe my posts are somehow not clear, but I did only size down by half a UK size like you seem to have done, and I read in this thread and on many shoe sites that it is common to do so. Many sites even advise it for the correct fitting. :)
From what I understand from your post you said you are usually UK 10.5 in shoes, but you wear UK 9.5 in your Conistons, so you size down one whole size. I think most people wear their shoe size in their Coniston size, so typically I wear size UK 8 in shoes, most people would then get their Conistons in the same size, UK 8 in this example, but I size down a half size. I felt the UK 8s were too loose for me. Half size down is pretty snug on me though, I would probably benefit from a size between a UK 8 and a UK 7.5. I don't see that many people in this thread recommending sizing down a half size from their shoe size for Conistons.

Moostyle

Reaction score
From what I understand from your post you said you are usually UK 10.5 in shoes, but you wear UK 9.5 in your Conistons, so you size down one whole size. I think most people wear their shoe size in their Coniston size, so typically I wear size UK 8 in shoes, most people would then get their Conistons in the same size, UK 8 in this example, but I size down a half size. I felt the UK 8s were too loose for me. Half size down is pretty snug on me though, I would probably benefit from a size between a UK 8 and a UK 7.5. I don't see that many people in this thread recommending sizing down a half size from their shoe size for Conistons.
Ahh sorry chap I get what you mean now and I realise what I wrote was confusing, my bad. I am 10-10.5, somewhere in between as my left foot (EU44.8) lies longer than my right (EU44.3) and it really depends on the brand as they are all so different. However in boots I am definitely 9.5 in wider lasts. Hope that clarifies. :D

I have been advised by various sellers when trying on shoes to size down a half UK size for Coniston/Islay and also online shops often recommend to size down by UK 0.5.

Anyway no biggie, I am soon going to go for the Harlechs in dark brown I think as they look like a boot that will fulfil various roles for many years.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahh sorry chap I get what you mean now and I realise what I wrote was confusing, my bad. I am 10-10.5, somewhere in between as my left foot (EU44.8) lies longer than my right (EU44.3) and it really depends on the brand as they are all so different. However in boots I am definitely 9.5 in wider lasts. Hope that clarifies. :D

I have been advised by various sellers when trying on shoes to size down a half UK size for Coniston/Islay and also online shops often recommend to size down by UK 0.5.

Anyway no biggie, I am soon going to go for the Harlechs in dark brown I think as they look like a boot that will fulfil various roles for many years.
No problem! For what it's worth. My Harlechs are UK8, so a half size bigger than my Conistons. I am not sure if I can get into a Harlechs in UK 7.5 as it's a narrower and longer last than the Conistons from my experience.

Moostyle

Reaction score
No problem! For what it's worth. My Harlechs are UK8, so a half size bigger than my Conistons. I am not sure if I can get into a Harlechs in UK 7.5 as it's a narrower and longer last than the Conistons from my experience.
Hmm very interesting feedback, thanks. My local reseller said the size would be the same as the Coniston. I will try and get more feedback on this from others who bought it and see what the consensus is!

Moostyle

Reaction score
Hmm very interesting feedback, thanks. My local reseller said the size would be the same as the Coniston. I will try and get more feedback on this from others who bought it and see what the consensus is!
Ok I have just pulled the trigger on a pair of Harlech in Dark Brown as my local reseller has told me that he will happily order them and send them to me and then let me return them if they dont fit. What a gentleman. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics