• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So we had a light covering of freezing rain last night. The sidewalks that had previously been shoveled and salted in my neighborhood are now covered with a very thin layer of pure, clear ice. Dainite was absolutely not up to the job, even worse than on older snow that had been compacted down into inch thick ice. On the latter it wasn't great but, with some caution, wasn't dangerous. On the former, I almost wiped out three times on a two block dog walk. Now waking on the parkways that had a couple of inches of snow covered with the thin layer of ice was no problem as the snow and earth gave way cracking the ice and giving me plenty of traction.

ijustknow

Reaction score
Does anyone recognize the last of Barstow from Handgrade?
Crockett-Jones-Handgrade-Barstow-1536x1138.jpg

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
So we had a light covering of freezing rain last night. The sidewalks that had previously been shoveled and salted in my neighborhood are now covered with a very thin layer of pure, clear ice. Dainite was absolutely not up to the job, even worse than on older snow that had been compacted down into inch thick ice. On the latter it wasn't great but, with some caution, wasn't dangerous. On the former, I almost wiped out three times on a two block dog walk. Now waking on the parkways that had a couple of inches of snow covered with the thin layer of ice was no problem as the snow and earth gave way cracking the ice and giving me plenty of traction.
I get asked what I wear in such conditions and my reply is usually slippers….
I’m staying in! ???

Edmund K

Reaction score
I thought the cranleigh was benchgrade?

Yes it looks very similar to the discontinued Cranleigh, but the Paul Stuart one is a special make-up for their store. Can kind of tell from the closed channel sole.

1641774386470.png

ducatiti

Reaction score
Question, I have some CJ's and other brands dead stock/unused, purchased more than a year ago. I conditioned them with Renovateur and polished them with Saphir products out of the box. They still look the same as the day I polished them. Do you guys recommend me for to condition the leather once again?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question, I have some CJ's and other brands dead stock/unused, purchased more than a year ago. I conditioned them with Renovateur and polished them with Saphir products out of the box. They still look the same as the day I polished them. Do you guys recommend me for to condition the leather once again?

Honestly, I would just brush them. Spend 2 to 3 minutes on each shoe and you should be fine.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice but why do most suggest to condition new shoes since they have been sitting at the factory for months?

I believe they suggest that because the leather has dry spots or is dry overall. Thus adding a little conditioner provides nourishment. Pigmented shoe cream (like Saphir's) is possibly all you'd really need to bring back color and a little saturation though. I would select cream over conditioner on initial purchase. Saying all that and based on your description on how the shoes look, a brushing should be all that is required. Brushing is possibly the best treatment for leather to both revitalize and remove dirt.

I'll go so far to say that not brushing enough while adding creams and waxes causes embedding of dirt particles. Thereby, makes the shoes look less vibrant over time. Would also potentially harm the leather. When in doubt brush brush brush.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice but why do most suggest to condition new shoes since they have been sitting at the factory for months?
The idea that you need to condition every pair whenever you get them I’ve gotta say I see most often coming from youtubers and bloggers who are happy to sell you the conditioner and creams they suggest that you need.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads