• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been mentioned before,I did search but couldnt find any mention.

Has the C&J Pembroke ever been made with a Commando sole (not the Vibram vi-lite) or has anyone had a replacement Commando sole put on a Pembroke ?
I am thinking about replacing the Dainite sole on a pair of Richard James Pembrokes with a brown Commando sole,I thought that it would look a good match with the larger Brogue pattern on the RJ shoe...

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been mentioned before,I did search but couldnt find any mention.

Has the C&J Pembroke ever been made with a Commando sole (not the Vibram vi-lite) or has anyone had a replacement Commando sole put on a Pembroke ?
I am thinking about replacing the Dainite sole on a pair of Richard James Pembrokes with a brown Commando sole,I thought that it would look a good match with the larger Brogue pattern on the RJ shoe...
Consider a Ridgeway too for a halfway house

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
Morning and afternoon photos. I think these boots look much better on the second picture. Truly made to be worn :)
D0C366F1-3F78-44D0-92EA-392E0416E798.jpeg

F19B573F-51D1-421B-A2E5-4079279879D9.jpeg

American_Psycho11

Reaction score
I am completely torn between the C&J Harvard in cordovan and the Alden LHS in cordovan. I am ready to pull the trigger on one of them and I have been completely torn between the two
Opinions?

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am completely torn between the C&J Harvard in cordovan and the Alden LHS in cordovan. I am ready to pull the trigger on one of them and I have been completely torn between the two
Opinions?
I believe the Harvard is unlined while the LHS isn't, so that's something to consider unless you don't care. I personally don't care. Both are of great quality and finishing, so that shouldn't be an issue. The design is literally the same. So, it comes down to how each last fits and of which you prefer the feel.

To my keen eyes, the 314 last is sleeker and looks more refined than Alden's Van last, but I do like the old-frumpish-dandy vibe the LHS and Van last exudes. Also, I really like how the LHS has a hearty sole than the rest of my loafers, I own about 6 loafers in total and my LHSs' have the heartiest soles of all. Another thing about the sole is that it protrudes which creates a nice visual appeal for the penny loafers IMO. Wait, my Enzo loafers also have a nice thick protruding welt. In my experience, the majority of loafers have a thin and trimmed sole, which is understandable but makes them feel dainty on foot, which I am not a fan of. If it's feasible to order both from retailers with decent return policies, then order both and go based on whichever fits, feels, and impresses you more/(better) in person. The Van last fits me nicely but it is a tricky last for some people.

In the end, you can't go wrong with either one and the C&J is the more refined version of a penny loafer and the Alden is.....more traditional(?).

Personally, I own the LHS in #8 and dark chocolate suede, and will probably add another pair in suede.....maybe loden or snuff....or humus if there is one. I haven't given the Harvard much thought since the Van last works for me, but I generally only look at the boot section when it comes to Crockett & Jones.

Stiglitz

Reaction score
Nice chukkas.

Hello, can you compare the Molton's last with any model in 325? I will appreciate it.

Regards

they are relatively close to the Coniston for my foot (I take the same size in both), both good roomy lasts for me personally, although I should add that I find the 325 doesn’t work for me in shoe or loafer (too big in my usual size, and sizing down a half is too small)

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they are relatively close to the Coniston for my foot (I take the same size in both), both good roomy lasts for me personally, although I should add that I find the 325 doesn’t work for me in shoe or loafer (too big in my usual size, and sizing down a half is too small)

Thank you very much, very helpfull

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being wide-footed, I find the 336 last of the Molton a bit roomier in the forefoot than my 325 Conistons, probably due to the taper at the toe of the Coniston.

Thank you sir!

When I started with C&J I told myself: Ok, but "only Pembroke and Coniston". But I am weak.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics