• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score

DRJames

Reaction score
Hey all! I'm hoping for some advice on sizing C&J. I was in London a few weeks ago and had a chance to go in and get sized at the Jermyn street store. I'm normally a 9.5D in AE's 201 and a 9.5E in AE's 65 last. I've never been able to nail down my size to my satisfaction with Alden but I take a 9.5D in the Trubalance (odd given my AE sizes I know) which works pretty well with decently thick socks.

I was looking at the C&J Chelsea 5 on the 335 last and initially they sized me at a UK 8E in the store. I walked around for a bit in those but felt there was too much pressure on my right pinky toe so ended up going up to a UK 8.5E. Now that I'm back stateside and have been wearing the Chelsea 5 indoors I'm feeling a bit of dull pressure building to an ache on the outside of the ball of my right foot. As best I can tell the ball of my foot is pretty close if not right on the widest part of the boot. Based on the limited reading I've done it seems like the 335 is one of C&J's roomier lasts also. I'm curious if anyone has experience with the 335 vs some of the other lasts I mentioned or if the Chelsea 5 just takes a little break in to get comfortable? The left boot was comfortable right off the bat, only the right one is giving me any trouble (which is usually the case when shoes cause any discomfort for me). Thanks in advance for any advice!

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can buy sock liners from C&J when you need replacements?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thin piece of leather that is glued onto the insole with the C&J logo on it I mean
Yeah, just email their customer service and they'll ship you some. They are lasted so make sure you let them know that

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the consensus on the rubber city soles so far? I'm a few months in with my Bostons, and I'm not sure that I really like them. They just seem hard (more so than the standard Dainite that I have on boots), and give my feet a good banging. Love the Bostons, but I'm considering sending them down to Trenton & Heath for some JR leather soles.

HorseHide

Reaction score
Hey all! I'm hoping for some advice on sizing C&J. I was in London a few weeks ago and had a chance to go in and get sized at the Jermyn street store. I'm normally a 9.5D in AE's 201 and a 9.5E in AE's 65 last. I've never been able to nail down my size to my satisfaction with Alden but I take a 9.5D in the Trubalance (odd given my AE sizes I know) which works pretty well with decently thick socks.

I was looking at the C&J Chelsea 5 on the 335 last and initially they sized me at a UK 8E in the store. I walked around for a bit in those but felt there was too much pressure on my right pinky toe so ended up going up to a UK 8.5E. Now that I'm back stateside and have been wearing the Chelsea 5 indoors I'm feeling a bit of dull pressure building to an ache on the outside of the ball of my right foot. As best I can tell the ball of my foot is pretty close if not right on the widest part of the boot. Based on the limited reading I've done it seems like the 335 is one of C&J's roomier lasts also. I'm curious if anyone has experience with the 335 vs some of the other lasts I mentioned or if the Chelsea 5 just takes a little break in to get comfortable? The left boot was comfortable right off the bat, only the right one is giving me any trouble (which is usually the case when shoes cause any discomfort for me). Thanks in advance for any advice!

I'll offer my experience. Pretty consistent: 9.5D (as measured on a Brannock), not familiar with AE sizing but I'm a 9.5 in the Alden TTS lasts and I size down to a 9D for Aldens built on the Barrie last. I am an 8E on the Crockett 325 last and wear an 8.5E on the Crockett 335 last.

I'd ask what sole did Crockett use on your Chelsea 5s? Dainite? If yes, I'd bet that's your problem. I find Dainite to be uncomfortable until about the time that they need to be replaced. And what Dainite soles lack in terms of comfort and durability is more than offset by their poor traction on any wet surfaces. As you might guess - I'm not a fan (actually walked away from a few SF GMTOs that opted for Dainite).

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the consensus on the rubber city soles so far? I'm a few months in with my Bostons, and I'm not sure that I really like them. They just seem hard (more so than the standard Dainite that I have on boots), and give my feet a good banging. Love the Bostons, but I'm considering sending them down to Trenton & Heath for some JR leather soles.
Probably comes down to personal preference as some people really enjoy Dainite studded, which I'm not a fan of at all. I've had some Harvard 2's for a few years now and enjoyed the city sole enough to have my Harvard's recently resoled to it

Braid

Reaction score
I like them, can't feel any significant difference in comfort compared to single leather sole and they seem very durable

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably comes down to personal preference as some people really enjoy Dainite studded, which I'm not a fan of at all. I've had some Harvard 2's for a few years now and enjoyed the city sole enough to have my Harvard's recently resoled to it
I like them, can't feel any significant difference in comfort compared to single leather sole and they seem very durable

Thanks. I might have just have pounded my feet on the pavement a little too hard that day. I'm just going to keep wearing them and see how things go.

DRJames

Reaction score
I'll offer my experience. Pretty consistent: 9.5D (as measured on a Brannock), not familiar with AE sizing but I'm a 9.5 in the Alden TTS lasts and I size down to a 9D for Aldens built on the Barrie last. I am an 8E on the Crockett 325 last and wear an 8.5E on the Crockett 335 last.

I'd ask what sole did Crockett use on your Chelsea 5s? Dainite? If yes, I'd bet that's your problem. I find Dainite to be uncomfortable until about the time that they need to be replaced. And what Dainite soles lack in terms of comfort and durability is more than offset by their poor traction on any wet surfaces. As you might guess - I'm not a fan (actually walked away from a few SF GMTOs that opted for Dainite).
Thank you! Yep, it’s Dainite on my Chelsea 5s, so I’ll hope it’s just a break in issue. I’ve had Dainite on other shoes before and haven’t had too many issues. I’m worried I may end up having to go up to a wide.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It sounds like we're the same. I'm wide across the ball with a high instep and arch. I've always wore 10D but sized to a 9.5 E or EEE with AE. I can do the 42 in D (snug but good) or the 201 (perfect), but the wider widths are usually the fit. Both C&J and Bodileys suggested a 9.0 for the 314 and 365 respectively, and that's worked out well for the Boston loafers and perfectly for the Islay boots.

Last edited:

aquatherm

Reaction score
Has anyone bought anything from the winter collection? I have my eyes on the Chepstow 2 but retail stores haven't received them yet

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone hasn’t a good resource from where I can buy shorter laces for the Coniston? Not a fan ofsouble looping hem and wrapping them around the ankle affects my mobility quite a bit and leads to a lot of pain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads